    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Allistar

    thingy Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    > use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
    > drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
    > to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
    > seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Allistar.

    The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
    at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.

    regards

    Steven
    thingy, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    >> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card
    >> to drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be
    >> able to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad
    >> cards I've seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0
    >> (KDE)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Allistar.

    > The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
    > at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Steven

    Asrock is a motherboard and not a graphics card, right? I'd rather stick
    with my current motherboard (although will upgrade if there's a big enough
    benefit, like dual/quad CPUs).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Allistar

    thingy Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    >>>use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card
    >>>to drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be
    >>>able to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad
    >>>cards I've seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0
    >>>(KDE)
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Allistar.

    >>The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
    >>at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Steven

    > Asrock is a motherboard and not a graphics card, right? I'd rather stick
    > with my current motherboard (although will upgrade if there's a big enough
    > benefit, like dual/quad CPUs).
    >
    > Allistar.

    I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
    matrox stuff might though.

    Yes asrock is a make but it would mean an upgrade of the pci slotted
    card to pci-e (if that setup works of course) so I would assume a decent
    performance boost.

    There appears to be a surround video feature on the support cd, and
    nothing on their web site, so I cannot tell for sure.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Allistar

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    > use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
    > drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
    > to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
    > seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)

    Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
    monitors.

    I suggest that if you want extremely high resolution, then with current
    technology you may actually need more than one display card.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 27, 2006
  6. Allistar

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
    >>> at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Steven

    >> Asrock is a motherboard and not a graphics card, right? I'd rather stick
    >> with my current motherboard (although will upgrade if there's a big
    >> enough
    >> benefit, like dual/quad CPUs).
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
    > matrox stuff might though.
    >
    > Yes asrock is a make but it would mean an upgrade of the pci slotted
    > card to pci-e (if that setup works of course) so I would assume a decent
    > performance boost.
    >
    > There appears to be a surround video feature on the support cd, and
    > nothing on their web site, so I cannot tell for sure.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    "Furthermore, an AGP graphics card can continue to be used even after
    the purchase of a PCIe model. Although no 3D performance increase is
    possible, it is certainly true that more displays can be operated
    simultaneously."

    quoting from THG, I assume tom's hardware got it right....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 27, 2006
  7. Allistar

    Daniel Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
    > matrox stuff might though.

    Yes. Matrox cards can do quad-head.

    But, they're rather expensive new, and I'm not sure if they can do the
    1680x1050 res.

    Monitoring TradeMe might be an option?
    Daniel, Jul 27, 2006
  8. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    MaHogany wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    >> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card
    >> to drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be
    >> able to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad
    >> cards I've seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0
    >> (KDE)

    > Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
    > monitors.
    >
    > I suggest that if you want extremely high resolution, then with current
    > technology you may actually need more than one display card.

    That's what I do at the moment, a PCI and an AGP card. I do notice that
    Xinerama is noticably slower than the NVidia "TwinView" setup, but from
    what I know TwinView is only for dual head. I could have 2 dual head
    desktops, but that would give me two separate X server instances, and while
    I could move the mouse between them I would not be able to move windows
    between them or have a panel span them.

    > Ma Hogany

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 27, 2006
  9. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >>
    >> I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
    >> matrox stuff might though.
    >>

    > Yes. Matrox cards can do quad-head.
    >
    > But, they're rather expensive new, and I'm not sure if they can do the
    > 1680x1050 res.
    >
    > Monitoring TradeMe might be an option?

    I think I'll resort to using two separate cards. I'm running a triple head
    setup off two cards, adding a 4th LCD should (fingers crossed) be trivial.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 27, 2006
  10. Allistar

    thingy Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    >> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
    >> drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
    >> to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
    >> seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)

    > Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
    > monitors.
    >
    > I suggest that if you want extremely high resolution, then with current
    > technology you may actually need more than one display card.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    There is a matrox solution, but its professional external unit with
    fibre interlink.......

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 28, 2006
  11. Allistar

    Earl Grey Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
    >> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
    >> drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
    >> to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
    >> seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)

    > Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
    > monitors.

    Well you learn something every day then

    http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/firemv_2400_pci_express_100505115.asp
    Earl Grey, Jul 28, 2006
  12. Allistar

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:59:38 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > but that would give me two separate X server instances, and while
    > I could move the mouse between them I would not be able to move windows
    > between them or have a panel span them.

    Why do you feel you need to move windows between four different monitors?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 29, 2006
  13. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    MaHogany wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:59:38 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> but that would give me two separate X server instances, and while
    >> I could move the mouse between them I would not be able to move windows
    >> between them or have a panel span them.

    > Why do you feel you need to move windows between four different monitors?

    Because doing so greatly increases my productivity. Depending on what I'm
    working on I need different windows to be on different monitors - so I move
    them between the monitors. Simple. Also I like to be able to drag and drop
    between applications running on different monitors - have different X
    servers doesn't allow me to do that.

    > Ma Hogany

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 29, 2006
  14. Allistar

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:53:47 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > Because doing so greatly increases my productivity. Depending on what I'm
    > working on I need different windows to be on different monitors - so I move
    > them between the monitors. Simple. Also I like to be able to drag and drop
    > between applications running on different monitors - have different X
    > servers doesn't allow me to do that.

    What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 29, 2006
  15. Allistar

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:48:46 +1200, MaHogany wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:53:47 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Because doing so greatly increases my productivity. Depending on what
    >> I'm working on I need different windows to be on different monitors - so
    >> I move them between the monitors. Simple. Also I like to be able to drag
    >> and drop between applications running on different monitors - have
    >> different X servers doesn't allow me to do that.

    > What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Software development is one task that needs such resources.
    I am always running out of space with only two large monitors.

    Murray.
    Murray Symon, Jul 29, 2006
  16. Allistar

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:53:22 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

    >> What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?

    > Software development is one task that needs such resources.
    > I am always running out of space with only two large monitors

    Why don't you simply ad more virtual desktops?

    I can have as much as 20 virtual desktops on one monitor, and I can drag
    'n' drop windows between any of them - and even drag text from in a window
    on one desktop onto a window on another desktop.

    Trivially easy to do using KDE and only one monitor.

    The only thing that is not possible to do is to have multiple desktops
    visible at the same time - obviously.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 29, 2006
  17. Allistar

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:49:17 +1200, MaHogany wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:53:22 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >>> What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?

    >> Software development is one task that needs such resources. I am always
    >> running out of space with only two large monitors

    > Why don't you simply ad more virtual desktops?

    It doesn't achieve the same result. I prefer visibility to all windows
    relating to a task without having to tediously switch between them.

    > I can have as much as 20 virtual desktops on one monitor, and I can drag
    > 'n' drop windows between any of them - and even drag text from in a window
    > on one desktop onto a window on another desktop.
    >
    > Trivially easy to do using KDE and only one monitor.

    Even more trivially achieved by switching between apps (e.g. Alt-Tab).

    > The only thing that is not possible to do is to have multiple desktops
    > visible at the same time - obviously.

    Which, in my case, is the main requirement.
    Murray Symon, Jul 29, 2006
  18. Allistar

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:53:22 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >>> What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?

    >> Software development is one task that needs such resources.
    >> I am always running out of space with only two large monitors

    > Why don't you simply ad more virtual desktops?
    >
    > I can have as much as 20 virtual desktops on one monitor, and I can drag
    > 'n' drop windows between any of them - and even drag text from in a window
    > on one desktop onto a window on another desktop.
    >
    > Trivially easy to do using KDE and only one monitor.
    >
    > The only thing that is not possible to do is to have multiple desktops
    > visible at the same time - obviously.

    My god, you sound like somebody who has never used multiple monitors.
    -=rjh=-, Jul 29, 2006
  19. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    MaHogany wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:53:47 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Because doing so greatly increases my productivity. Depending on what I'm
    >> working on I need different windows to be on different monitors - so I
    >> move them between the monitors. Simple. Also I like to be able to drag
    >> and drop between applications running on different monitors - have
    >> different X servers doesn't allow me to do that.

    > What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?

    Software development. It's not a requirement to have four monitors, but it
    does increase productivity.

    > Ma Hogany

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 29, 2006
  20. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    MaHogany wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:53:22 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >>> What do you do that requires programmes running on four monitors?

    >> Software development is one task that needs such resources.
    >> I am always running out of space with only two large monitors

    > Why don't you simply ad more virtual desktops?

    I do. 6 of them. That doesn't give me the benefit multiple monitors does.

    > I can have as much as 20 virtual desktops on one monitor, and I can drag
    > 'n' drop windows between any of them - and even drag text from in a window
    > on one desktop onto a window on another desktop.
    >
    > Trivially easy to do using KDE and only one monitor.
    >
    > The only thing that is not possible to do is to have multiple desktops
    > visible at the same time - obviously.

    And that's the reason I prefer multiple monitors. Quite often you need to
    see more than one monitor alone can dislay.

    > Ma Hogany

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 29, 2006