Recommendations for PIM (preferably free)!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for a PIM to replace Outlook. Any recommendations?
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 14, 2003

  2. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:25:37 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"

    Pegasus Mail http://www.pmail.com
    Benjamin Racinot, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Benjamin Racinot wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:25:37 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a PIM to replace Outlook. Any recommendations?
    >>

    > Pegasus Mail http://www.pmail.com

    Um that's not a PIM - (Personal Information Manager) - that's just a mail
    client. But thanks anyway.
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 14, 2003
  6. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest

    >I'm looking for a PIM to replace Outlook. Any recommendations?

    Gordon Ive been on that mission myself lately....
    looking for Outlook alternatives.

    Ive almost come to a conclusion that a PDA is the way
    to go....and just forget abt a PC based solution.

    I hate carrying things around..... but it seems such a
    hassle to try and keep tow installs of Outlook
    "synced".... one at home an another at work.

    Ive also thought abt keeping my PC at home ON all the
    time and it acting as a PIM "server"... then I could
    use any browser from any PC to edit and access it

    MailTraq allows this. See link

    http://www.mailtraq.com/327/text.nc

    I don't know...... what do YOU think? What are you
    thinking on doing?

    I still haven't settled on what to use to handle PIM
    stuff..... but need something badly

    John
    , Oct 14, 2003
  7. wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a PIM to replace Outlook. Any recommendations?
    >>

    > Gordon Ive been on that mission myself lately....
    > looking for Outlook alternatives.
    >
    > Ive almost come to a conclusion that a PDA is the way
    > to go....and just forget abt a PC based solution.
    >
    > I hate carrying things around..... but it seems such a
    > hassle to try and keep tow installs of Outlook
    > "synced".... one at home an another at work.
    >
    > Ive also thought abt keeping my PC at home ON all the
    > time and it acting as a PIM "server"... then I could
    > use any browser from any PC to edit and access it
    >
    > MailTraq allows this. See link
    >
    > http://www.mailtraq.com/327/text.nc
    >
    > I don't know...... what do YOU think? What are you
    > thinking on doing?
    >
    > I still haven't settled on what to use to handle PIM
    > stuff..... but need something badly
    >
    > John

    I'm beginning to get the impression that I'm going to stay with Outlook -
    whatever you say about the Gates Monolith, Outlook is just so damn
    *functional*......
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest

    >I'm beginning to get the impression that I'm going to stay with Outlook -
    >whatever you say about the Gates Monolith, Outlook is just so damn
    >*functional*......

    Yes I have the same hate/love relationship with it as
    well. <sigh>

    We happen to use Outlook with an Exchange server here
    at work. And altho we do not utilize the
    "collaboration" features as well as we could..... I
    know the "power" is there. And collaboration is where
    the power is at when working in "teams" I suppose.

    I guess what Im saying is if you can give "teams" of
    people the right tools to enhance and do their jobs....
    things can really get done.

    Also.... the other thing Outlook and Exchange has in
    its favor is the sheer number of users.... and hence
    the sheer number of add ons..... and sheer number of
    newsgroups..... blah.... blah.. blah.

    Ive found out that often times you are better off using
    a somewhat inferior product that is widely used....
    than a real "exotic" app that is better in some ways.
    Cause then you can always find peer to peer news groups
    where you can discuss your problems with other users.
    And trust me...... there is a LOT to be said for Usenet
    support groups existing for your apps!!

    Often times less used but more technically exotic apps
    wont have Usenet support groups. Hence less people to
    discover work arounds and solve problems.

    By the way... do you currently use Outlook with an
    Exchange server? Or is it in stand alone mode on a
    single PC only?

    Also..... one thing I do dislike abt Outlook.... is it
    weak handling of multiple email accts. I want to get
    ALL of my email from several accounts using Outlook...
    so I can use the PIM features on it. But the way it
    handles other email servers is confusing to me

    What say you?

    John
    , Oct 14, 2003
  9. wrote:

    > Ive found out that often times you are better off using
    > a somewhat inferior product that is widely used....
    > than a real "exotic" app that is better in some ways.
    > Cause then you can always find peer to peer news groups
    > where you can discuss your problems with other users.
    > And trust me...... there is a LOT to be said for Usenet
    > support groups existing for your apps!!

    i think unfortunately you are right about this.....

    > Often times less used but more technically exotic apps
    > wont have Usenet support groups. Hence less people to
    > discover work arounds and solve problems.
    >
    > By the way... do you currently use Outlook with an
    > Exchange server? Or is it in stand alone mode on a
    > single PC only?

    Stand alone.

    > Also..... one thing I do dislike abt Outlook.... is it
    > weak handling of multiple email accts. I want to get
    > ALL of my email from several accounts using Outlook...
    > so I can use the PIM features on it. But the way it
    > handles other email servers is confusing to me
    >
    > What say you?
    >
    > John

    Well I have three different internet email accounts set up, although two of
    them are "dormant" in that I look at the received mail using Mailwasher and
    just delete all the ones I don't want (of course I could use Outlook to do
    this by just downloading headers for those accounts - this has only just
    occurred to me- doh!) but I do find that certainly Outlook 2002 has
    definitely better handling of multi account setups, although it's difficult
    to actually put a finger on what IS better.....
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 14, 2003
  10. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest

    >> And trust me...... there is a LOT to be said for Usenet
    >> support groups existing for your apps!!

    >i think unfortunately you are right about this.....

    Its always ben my experience that I can get more
    "help"...... from other people lie me who are using the
    product.... than the makers of the actual product. Sad
    but true.

    John
    , Oct 14, 2003
  11. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest

    > I don't want (of course I could use Outlook to do
    >this by just downloading headers for those accounts - this has only just
    >occurred to me- doh!) but I do find that certainly Outlook 2002 has
    >definitely better handling of multi account setups, although it's difficult
    >to actually put a finger on what IS better.....

    Hmm....Outlook 202 will let you download the headers
    only? Even in stand alone mode?

    What type of server do you connect Outlook 2002 with?
    Is it POP.... or an IMAP server?

    John
    , Oct 14, 2003
  12. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Bill Yerkes Guest

    I don't have a specific recommendation but what functions are you looking to
    use? There probably isn't anything that is a complete replacement. I mean,
    who could possibly live without the Journal ;-)

    My guess is that you want something for contacts / e-mail addresses and a
    calendar. That makes the search / recommendations much easier. The other
    features such as e-mail, notes, whatever, can be handled by other programs
    if they are necessary. An important feature would be to have the address
    list capable of integrating into an e-mail client.

    Bill Yerkes, Oct 15, 2003
  13. wrote:
    >> I don't want (of course I could use Outlook to do
    >> this by just downloading headers for those accounts - this has only
    >> just occurred to me- doh!) but I do find that certainly Outlook 2002
    >> has definitely better handling of multi account setups, although
    >> it's difficult to actually put a finger on what IS better.....

    > Hmm....Outlook 202 will let you download the headers
    > only? Even in stand alone mode?

    certainly will - (there ARE no "modes" in Outlook 2002). Just configure each
    mail account to "Download Item descriptions Only".
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 15, 2003
  14. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest

    >certainly will - (there ARE no "modes" in Outlook 2002). Just configure each
    >mail account to "Download Item descriptions Only".

    Ahh.... I see

    Well we are still using Outlook 2000 here at work...
    but i do have Outlook 203 at home

    Will try just downloading email headers only at home
    and see how I like that

    John
    , Oct 15, 2003
  15. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest

    >I don't have a specific recommendation but what functions are you looking to
    >use? There probably isn't anything that is a complete replacement. I mean,
    >who could possibly live without the Journal ;-)

    Is that a sarcastic remark abt the Journal? Or are you
    serious abt its functionality? Ive never used it.
    Should I give it a try for some reason? Or were you
    just making a joke abt it?

    John
    , Oct 15, 2003
  16. wrote:
    >> certainly will - (there ARE no "modes" in Outlook 2002). Just
    >> configure each mail account to "Download Item descriptions Only".

    > Ahh.... I see
    >
    > Well we are still using Outlook 2000 here at work...
    > but i do have Outlook 203 at home
    >
    > Will try just downloading email headers only at home
    > and see how I like that
    >
    > John

    You can also do it in Outlook 2000 - go to Tools-Options-Mail Delivery and
    click on reconfigure mail support. CWO mode has a "remote mail" function
    whereby you can download headers only. It's not as sophisticated as O2002 as
    it's either on or off, but it does work.

    HTH
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 15, 2003
  17. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Guest