Recommendations for photo printer with large-ish screen?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pig Ignorant, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Pig Ignorant

    Pig Ignorant Guest

    Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find
    specifically what I was looking for in the archives.

    I want to get my wife a dedicated photo printer that she can plug her
    digital camera into (she has a Canon Ixus 5.5 mpixel), and ideally
    print directly from the camera, rather than having to go via the
    computer (although if the printer would only work with a computer that
    would still be OK).

    The main problem is that my wife has poor eyesight and some of these
    printers have a small screen, and I'm looking for one that has a
    slightly larger screen. Although her camera is small it has a larger
    than average screen (at least it was when she bought it). So the size
    of the screen would be important.

    Can anyone recommend printers I could look at? I don't know much about
    them as I've only ever printed photos on my HP inkjet printer.

    Any advice as to photo printers I could consider, with any
    advantages/drawbacks etc., would be gratefully received.

    Thanks for your help.

    PI

    Pig Ignorant, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Pig Ignorant

    Roy G Guest

    "Pig Ignorant" <> wrote in message
    > Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find
    > specifically what I was looking for in the archives.
    >
    > I want to get my wife a dedicated photo printer that she can plug her
    > digital camera into (she has a Canon Ixus 5.5 mpixel), and ideally
    > print directly from the camera, rather than having to go via the
    > computer (although if the printer would only work with a computer that
    > would still be OK).
    >
    > The main problem is that my wife has poor eyesight and some of these
    > printers have a small screen, and I'm looking for one that has a
    > slightly larger screen. Although her camera is small it has a larger
    > than average screen (at least it was when she bought it). So the size
    > of the screen would be important.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend printers I could look at? I don't know much about
    > them as I've only ever printed photos on my HP inkjet printer.
    >
    > Any advice as to photo printers I could consider, with any
    > advantages/drawbacks etc., would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > PI

    Hi.

    There is a problem with these compact printers.

    They all print at 6 x 4.

    Digicam images are almost all 6 x 4.5.

    So there will be cropping, and very often the user has no control over which
    half inch is going to be cropped.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Pig Ignorant

    Pig Ignorant Guest

    Roy G wrote:

    > There is a problem with these compact printers.
    >
    > They all print at 6 x 4.
    >
    > Digicam images are almost all 6 x 4.5.
    >
    > So there will be cropping, and very often the user has no control over which
    > half inch is going to be cropped.

    Thanks for the reply Roy.

    With my wife's photographic skills, that's unlikely to be a problem ;-)

    But thanks for pointing it out. It does seem daft that when digital
    cameras have a 4:3 ratio, the printers should be 3:2.

    Can anyone recommend some easy to use PC software as an alternative,
    that would make it easy to print a digital photo without having to
    resize, crop etc. (unless you wanted to)? Maybe that would be a better
    solution (although she seems keen on having one of these printers and
    it's her birthday coming up - the printer would seem to be a better
    present!)

    Pig Ignorant, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Pig Ignorant

    Bill Crocker Guest

    > Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find
    > specifically what I was looking for in the archives.
    >
    > I want to get my wife a dedicated photo printer that she can plug her
    > digital camera into (she has a Canon Ixus 5.5 mpixel), and ideally
    > print directly from the camera, rather than having to go via the
    > computer (although if the printer would only work with a computer that
    > would still be OK).
    >
    > The main problem is that my wife has poor eyesight and some of these
    > printers have a small screen, and I'm looking for one that has a
    > slightly larger screen. Although her camera is small it has a larger
    > than average screen (at least it was when she bought it). So the size
    > of the screen would be important.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend printers I could look at? I don't know much about
    > them as I've only ever printed photos on my HP inkjet printer.
    >
    > Any advice as to photo printers I could consider, with any
    > advantages/drawbacks etc., would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > PI

    Check out Canon's PIXMA iP6600D, sound like it's exactly what you're looking
    for! It's not too expensive either.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 31, 2006