    download public-domain and copyright-free music.

    Thanks so much in advance!
    Jon
    Jonski, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Jonski

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:01:39 +1300, Jonski <!> wrote:

    >I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
    >
    >What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
    >sharing?
    >
    >There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
    >limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
    >closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
    >breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
    >Yadda, yadda, yadda.
    >
    >Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
    >
    >And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
    >download public-domain and copyright-free music.
    >
    >Thanks so much in advance!
    >Jon

    eMULE or eDonkey They are now No.1
    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Jonski

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Jonski" <!> wrote in message
    > I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
    >
    > What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
    > sharing?
    >
    > There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
    > limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
    > closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
    > breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
    > Yadda, yadda, yadda.
    >
    > Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???

    WINMX is good
    Bittorent
    and Shareaza
    Craig Sutton, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Jonski

    Hmmm Guest

    Jonski wrote:
    > I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
    >
    > What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
    > sharing?
    >
    > There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
    > limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
    > closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
    > breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
    > Yadda, yadda, yadda.
    >
    > Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
    >
    > And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
    > download public-domain and copyright-free music.
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance!
    > Jon

    WinMX - good for music
    overnet/edonkey - good for everything
    Bittorrent - awesome

    with those 3 you can't go wrong.

    Torrents are different to the rest as you cant search for things in a
    torrent client, basically you go to websites and find something you want
    and then click on a link and that tells your torrent client where to
    connect to start getting that file.

    The great thing about torrents is that you can click on one link and it
    can get a whole bunch of files all in their directories etc.

    best torrent clients are _azereus_ or abc or bit tornado

    rumours have it that www.suprnova.org is a good place to find some nice
    shareware torrents etc

    also be aware that some people do put illegal "warez" on p2p networks,
    dont be tempted!! this is very naughty!!

    you should also get peerguardian.

    Hmmm, Oct 31, 2004
  5. Jonski

    Jonski Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:43:06 +1300, Hmmm <> wrote:

    >you should also get peerguardian.

    <google>
    I see that this has been replace by protowall. www.bluetack.co.uk

    Thanks for the suggestion, RIAA is not anyone's friend methinks.

    Cheers
    Jon
    Jonski, Oct 31, 2004
  6. Jonski

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:01:39 +1300, Jonski wrote:

    > I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
    >
    > What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
    > sharing?
    >
    > There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
    > limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
    > closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
    > breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
    > Yadda, yadda, yadda.
    >
    > Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
    >
    > And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
    > download public-domain and copyright-free music.
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance!
    > Jon

    Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/
    This is different from other p2p networks in that you connect to "hubs"
    which are like IRC channels. Once connected to a hub you can chat with
    everyone, search and download. Most hubs have only a small number of users
    (700 - 6000) but because of the community orientated nature of the hubs,
    these users share a great deal more than on most other networks (Some hubs
    require up to 100GB of share before you can even enter). It is also
    possible to create hubs that are geographically restricted, for example
    dchub://silverserver.co.nz (which is restricted to NZ addresses only and
    has no share requirement). On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
    problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
    need for huge IP-Filter lists.
    -[Myth]-, Oct 31, 2004
  7. Jonski

    Hmmm Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:01:39 +1300, Jonski wrote:
    >

    >>I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
    >>
    >>What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
    >>sharing?
    >>
    >>There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
    >>limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
    >>closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
    >>breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
    >>Yadda, yadda, yadda.
    >>
    >>Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
    >>
    >>And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
    >>download public-domain and copyright-free music.
    >>
    >>Thanks so much in advance!
    >>Jon

    > Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/
    > This is different from other p2p networks in that you connect to "hubs"
    > which are like IRC channels. Once connected to a hub you can chat with
    > everyone, search and download. Most hubs have only a small number of users
    > (700 - 6000) but because of the community orientated nature of the hubs,
    > these users share a great deal more than on most other networks (Some hubs
    > require up to 100GB of share before you can even enter). It is also
    > possible to create hubs that are geographically restricted, for example
    > dchub://silverserver.co.nz (which is restricted to NZ addresses only and
    > has no share requirement). On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
    > problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
    > need for huge IP-Filter lists.

    yep there's probably a reason no one mentioned it hehe :)

    Hmmm, Oct 31, 2004
  8. -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
    > problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
    > need for huge IP-Filter lists.

    I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
    the end of that.
    All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
    request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 31, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
    >> problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
    >> need for huge IP-Filter lists.

    > I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
    > the end of that.
    > All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
    > request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

    replace ns with NZ

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Jonski

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:37:12 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
    >>> problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
    >>> need for huge IP-Filter lists.

    >> I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
    >> the end of that.
    >> All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
    >> request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

    > replace ns with NZ

    but what can they do about it if they find piracy.
    -[Myth]-, Oct 31, 2004
  11. -[Myth]- wrote:

    >>>I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
    >>>the end of that.
    >>>All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
    >>>request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

    >>replace ns with NZ

    > but what can they do about it if they find piracy.

    dunno... open a court case, and sue?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 31, 2004
  12. Jonski

    Jonski Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:24:09 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/

    Thanks, I am trying it. However, as soon as I try to connect to the
    net, DC++ comes up with a fatal error and an exception report. Also,
    in Settings, I can only get to the General option. Clicking on the
    other has no response.

    I've tried the Install version and the binaries from sourceforge, same
    both times. Running 98se with zonealarm.

    Anybody seen anything similar when they tried? Figured the solution?

    Thanks in advance
    Jon
    Jonski, Nov 1, 2004
  13. Jonski

    Z Guest

    Jonski wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:24:09 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/

    > Thanks, I am trying it. However, as soon as I try to connect to the
    > net, DC++ comes up with a fatal error and an exception report. Also,
    > in Settings, I can only get to the General option. Clicking on the
    > other has no response.
    >
    > I've tried the Install version and the binaries from sourceforge, same
    > both times. Running 98se with zonealarm.
    >
    > Anybody seen anything similar when they tried? Figured the solution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Jon

    You are much better sticking with edonkey or torrents
    edonkey is a combination as it ingrates an open p2p network (overnet)
    and also a hub based network(edonkey which works similar to dc)
    Z, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Jonski

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:36:40 +1300, Jonski wrote:

    > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:24:09 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/

    > Thanks, I am trying it. However, as soon as I try to connect to the
    > net, DC++ comes up with a fatal error and an exception report. Also,
    > in Settings, I can only get to the General option. Clicking on the
    > other has no response.
    >
    > I've tried the Install version and the binaries from sourceforge, same
    > both times. Running 98se with zonealarm.
    >
    > Anybody seen anything similar when they tried? Figured the solution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    The new version of DC++ is Unicode so it probably wont work on broken old
    win98, get an older version (0.401)
    -[Myth]-, Nov 2, 2004
  15. Jonski

    geoffm Guest

    <!> wrote:

    >I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
    >
    >What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
    >sharing?
    >
    >There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
    >limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
    >closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
    >breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
    >Yadda, yadda, yadda.
    >
    >Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
    >
    >And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
    >download public-domain and copyright-free music.
    >
    >Thanks so much in advance!
    >Jon

    Sharezara - uses all the networks and free.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Nov 15, 2004