    A Linksys model perhaps?

    --
    Ian
    ian, Apr 28, 2007

  2. ian

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:08:08 GMT, ian <> wrote:

    >Recommendations anyone for an ADSL modem/firewall/router to work with
    >New Zealand's xtra ISP? Speed up to 4Mbps.
    >
    >Must support QoS and VoIP.
    >
    >A single LAN ethernet port will be enough.
    >
    >A Linksys model perhaps?

    I can't confirm operation with your ISP but the model of Lynksys you'd
    be looking for would be the SPA-3102.
    Up to 5 different outgoing providers, one of them being th esingle
    incoming provider. Also interfaces with a PPSTN line and does have a
    single LAN port. I don't know if itsupports QoS but I would think that
    something like that would be included. You can check out the manuals
    on the sipura.com web site.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Apr 28, 2007

  3. ian

    Panda Guest

    On Apr 28, 10:08 am, ian <> wrote:
    > Recommendations anyone for an ADSL modem/firewall/router to work with
    > New Zealand's xtra ISP? Speed up to 4Mbps.
    >
    > Must support QoS and VoIP.
    >
    > A single LAN ethernet port will be enough.
    >
    > A Linksys model perhaps?
    >
    > --
    > Ian

    I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
    support.

    Panda,
    http://forums.networkingland.com
    Panda, Apr 30, 2007
  4. ian

    ian Guest

    In message <>,
    Panda <> writes

    >I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
    >support.

    Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be exactly what I was
    looking for.

    That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22 (Tools) there is a
    note saying: "Do not interrupt the file transfer process as this may
    PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR ZyXEL Device."

    What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
    reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
    lump of silicon. No thank you!

    --
    Ian
    ian, May 1, 2007
  5. ian

    Lurch Guest

    Re: Re: Recommendations for New Zealand modem/router?

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 07:05:54 GMT, ian <> mused:

    >In message <>,
    >Panda <> writes
    >>
    >>I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
    >>support.
    >>

    >Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be exactly what I was
    >looking for.
    >
    >That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22 (Tools) there is a
    >note saying: "Do not interrupt the file transfer process as this may
    >PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR ZyXEL Device."
    >
    >What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
    >reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
    >lump of silicon. No thank you!

    Think you'll find any device in any area of any industry has exactly
    the same warnings about firmware upgrades. I've seen security
    equipment worth thousands being reduced to a pile of scrap with a
    borked firmware upgrade process.

    Usually though, there is some way of undoing the knackering of the
    device, it's not always a user function though so gets ommitted from
    manuals. It's aeasier to just say 'don't ever do it'.
    --
    Regards,
    Stuart.
    Lurch, May 1, 2007
  6. ian

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ian" <> wrote in message
    > In message
    > <>,
    > Panda <> writes
    > >
    > > I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with
    > > QoS and VoIP support.
    > >

    > Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be
    > exactly what I was looking for.
    >
    > That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22
    > (Tools) there is a note saying: "Do not interrupt the
    > file transfer process as this may PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR
    > ZyXEL Device."
    > What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life
    > there are a dozen reasons why a file transfer might fail,
    > and you finish up with a useless lump of silicon. No
    > thank you!

    In that case you'll never upgrade any firmware. In real life, a problem
    rarely happens; when it does, it's nearly always due to power failure. If
    you ensure power can't fail (use a UPS) then it's unlikely you'll have
    problems.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 1, 2007
  7. ian

    Panda Guest

    On May 1, 10:05 am, ian <> wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > Panda <> writes
    >

    > >I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
    > >support.

    > Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be exactly what I was
    > looking for.
    >
    > That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22 (Tools) there is a
    > note saying: "Do not interrupt the file transfer process as this may
    > PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR ZyXEL Device."
    >
    > What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
    > reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
    > lump of silicon. No thank you!
    >
    > --
    > Ian

    Ian,

    I have been dealing with ZyXEL products for the last 10 years, in
    other words, since they were manufacturing analogue dial up and leased
    line modems only and our engineers never faced such a problem upon
    upgrading any firmware.

    ZyXEL proved to be a robust, easy to use, reliable and cost effective
    products.

    Trust me man and go for it.

    Panda,

    http://www.networkingland.com/dsl_vendors.htm
    Panda, May 1, 2007
  8. ian wrote:

    > What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
    > reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
    > lump of silicon. No thank you!

    by file transfer they would mean Firmware upgrade not a general "file
    transfer" from LAN to WAN.

    Pretty much everything that has upgradeable firmware gives the same warning.

    Firmware is like the operating system - if you only dump half of it to
    the EEPROM (Firmware) how will the router know what instructions to
    follow on power-up.

    HTH
    Pete

    http://www.gymratz.co.uk
    UK's leading gym and fitness equipment supplier
    "Big enough to matter, Small enough to care"
    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, May 2, 2007
  9. ian

    ian Guest

    In message <f19hjk$qvm$>, "Pete @
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <> writes
    >ian wrote:
    >
    >> What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a
    >>dozen reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a
    >>useless lump of silicon. No thank you!

    >by file transfer they would mean Firmware upgrade not a general "file
    >transfer" from LAN to WAN.

    Understood.

    >Pretty much everything that has upgradeable firmware gives the same warning.

    Not in my experience of remotely upgradeable equipment over the last 20
    years+.

    >Firmware is like the operating system - if you only dump half of it to
    >the EEPROM (Firmware) how will the router know what instructions to
    >follow on power-up.

    A hardware reset should revert the equipment to the original factory
    version of the firmware.

    --
    Ian
    ian, May 2, 2007
  10. ian wrote:

    > Not in my experience of remotely upgradeable equipment over the last 20
    > years+.

    Would you not be upgrading it locally?

    >> Firmware is like the operating system - if you only dump half of it to
    >> the EEPROM (Firmware) how will the router know what instructions to
    >> follow on power-up.

    > A hardware reset should revert the equipment to the original factory
    > version of the firmware.

    Perhaps things are not as "fragile" as they were onceupon a time. I
    would think it is a precautionary note. Similar to the warning on my
    xbox360 not to power down the console while an update is in progress
    etc. etc.

    Last thing I upgraded firmware on was my Draytek 2910vg which gives the
    same words of caution. This is one of the latest products from a well
    respected manufacturer.
    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, May 4, 2007