    they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    few dollars if I can get what I want.
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Geoff wrote:
    > My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    > several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    > Any recommendations for one with:
    > bluetooth
    > hands free speakerphone
    > camera
    > can conect to computer (USB)
    > easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    > text or phonebook
    > Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    > Reasonably robust
    > Anything else?
    >
    > I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    > they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    > few dollars if I can get what I want.
    > Geoff

    Looks like you work for a bunch of cheapies, the only way you will get
    what you want at that price is to commit to a contract

    Collector»NZ, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Geoff

    EMB Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    > several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    > Any recommendations for one with:
    > bluetooth
    > hands free speakerphone
    > camera
    > can conect to computer (USB)
    > easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    > text or phonebook
    > Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    > Reasonably robust

    Nokia 6230i if you can still get one. Does all the above and was my
    choice when I had a similar list of requirements. However they were
    $600 or so uncontracted but mine was free on a 24 month contract.

    As a second choice have a look at the Sharp GX17. Vodafone are selling
    them for $180 or so. I've just bought a couple of them for my staff and
    I've had no complaints so far. Beyond that I can't comment on them as I
    never even opened the box when they arrived (but I believe they meet
    your requirements).

    EMB, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Geoff

    XPD Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    > several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    > Any recommendations for one with:
    > bluetooth
    > hands free speakerphone
    > camera
    > can conect to computer (USB)
    > easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read
    > text or phonebook
    > Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    > Reasonably robust
    > Anything else?
    >
    > I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    > they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    > few dollars if I can get what I want.
    > Geoff

    I got a Motorola L6 recently for $199 which has all that :)
    Although it does feel a little flimsy, but a $15 leather case sorted that :)
    Picked my phone up from Parallel Imported, and the case from Trademe (a
    Krusell one)

    XPD, Jun 12, 2007
  5. Geoff

    jack Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:48:48 +1200, Geoff <> wrote:

    >My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    >Any recommendations for one with:
    >bluetooth
    >hands free speakerphone
    >camera
    >can conect to computer (USB)
    >easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    >text or phonebook
    >Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    >Reasonably robust
    >Anything else?
    >
    >I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    >they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    >few dollars if I can get what I want.
    >Geoff

    The Motorola V360v has it all, but they have gone up for some reason, they were as low as $170
    when on special, from list price of $199, but have now gone upto $249..

    The US Model of this phone V360 was in the top 4 last year..

    jack, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Geoff

    jack Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:52:22 +1200, Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >Geoff wrote:
    >> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    >> Any recommendations for one with:
    >> bluetooth
    >> hands free speakerphone
    >> camera
    >> can conect to computer (USB)
    >> easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    >> text or phonebook
    >> Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    >> Reasonably robust
    >> Anything else?
    >>
    >> I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    >> they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    >> few dollars if I can get what I want.
    >> Geoff
    >>

    >Looks like you work for a bunch of cheapies, the only way you will get
    >what you want at that price is to commit to a contract

    Utter Rubish..

    jack, Jun 12, 2007
  7. Geoff

    jack Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:03:27 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Geoff wrote:
    >> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    >> Any recommendations for one with:
    >> bluetooth
    >> hands free speakerphone
    >> camera
    >> can conect to computer (USB)
    >> easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    >> text or phonebook
    >> Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    >> Reasonably robust

    >Nokia 6230i if you can still get one. Does all the above and was my
    >choice when I had a similar list of requirements. However they were
    >$600 or so uncontracted but mine was free on a 24 month contract.
    >
    >As a second choice have a look at the Sharp GX17. Vodafone are selling
    >them for $180 or so. I've just bought a couple of them for my staff and
    >I've had no complaints so far. Beyond that I can't comment on them as I
    >never even opened the box when they arrived (but I believe they meet
    >your requirements).

    Have a look as some reviews

    http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/mobile-phone-reviews.htm

    The SHARP has a good review but is let down by its small Memory, so limits its use, go for a phone
    that has a memory slot.

    jack, Jun 12, 2007
  8. Geoff

    jack Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:35:33 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    >> Any recommendations for one with:
    >> bluetooth
    >> hands free speakerphone
    >> camera
    >> can conect to computer (USB)
    >> easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read
    >> text or phonebook
    >> Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    >> Reasonably robust
    >> Anything else?
    >>
    >> I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    >> they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    >> few dollars if I can get what I want.
    >> Geoff

    >I got a Motorola L6 recently for $199 which has all that :)
    >Although it does feel a little flimsy, but a $15 leather case sorted that :)
    >Picked my phone up from Parallel Imported, and the case from Trademe (a
    >Krusell one)

    Its a gray imported phone, no support here.

    jack, Jun 12, 2007
  9. In article <>, jack <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:52:22 +1200, Collector»NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Geoff wrote:
    >>> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >>> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a replacement.
    >>> Any recommendations for one with:
    >>> bluetooth
    >>> hands free speakerphone
    >>> camera
    >>> can conect to computer (USB)
    >>> easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    >>> text or phonebook
    >>> Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    >>> Reasonably robust
    >>> Anything else?
    >>>
    >>> I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    >>> they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    >>> few dollars if I can get what I want.
    >>> Geoff
    >>>

    >>Looks like you work for a bunch of cheapies, the only way you will get
    >>what you want at that price is to commit to a contract

    >Utter Rubish..

    ... that you roger ? ... ok, thanks :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 13, 2007
  10. Geoff

    XPD Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message
    >>I got a Motorola L6 recently for $199 which has all that :)
    >>Although it does feel a little flimsy, but a $15 leather case sorted that
    >>:)
    >>Picked my phone up from Parallel Imported, and the case from Trademe (a
    >>Krusell one)
    >>

    > Its a gray imported phone, no support here.

    So ? You get what you pay for.
    Ive had no issues with it and it supports everything a "local" phone does.

    You really do need a new outlook on life - not everything you read online is
    true you know.

    XPD, Jun 13, 2007
  11. Geoff

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain
    > and several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?), so now I need a
    > replacement. Any recommendations for one with:
    > bluetooth
    > hands free speakerphone
    > camera
    > can conect to computer (USB)
    > easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to
    > read a text or phonebook
    > Small enough to easily fit in a pocket
    > Reasonably robust
    > Anything else?
    >
    > I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp
    > as they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will
    > put in a few dollars if I can get what I want.
    > Geoff

    I'll pay you postage for the 1100 if you would be so kind as to send it my
    way. I have one with a duff display and all the time in the world to try to
    make a good one out of the two. misfitnz with a gmail addy if you can
    oblige.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 13, 2007
  12. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Geoff exclaimed:
    > My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    > several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?),

    That was a very basic phone. Now you're looking a lot
    more fancy - any special reason?

    > Any recommendations for one with:

    Nokia 6234. The most pragmatic, decently featured and
    cost-effective phone I could find.

    > bluetooth

    yes
    > hands free speakerphone

    yes
    > camera

    yes (2MP and quite decent, except at night)
    > can conect to computer (USB)

    yes . for usb you need to buy the cable separately , but
    you can just use bluetooth. I do.
    > easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    > text or phonebook

    Good, readable menu which you can choose
    text/pictures/both, font size options from small to
    large on texts, and there are customisable shortcuts so
    you can have 1-button access to about 6 major functions.

    > Small enough to easily fit in a pocket

    Pretty compact.
    > Reasonably robust

    Seems OK, but 6234 nothing special in this area.
    > Anything else?

    Keys that are not too small

    > I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    > they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    > few dollars if I can get what I want.

    Think 6234 should be within range of that by now. Not
    sure though.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jun 13, 2007
  13. Geoff

    jack Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:29:40 +1200, Aaron Lawrence <> wrote:

    >On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    >by the name of Geoff exclaimed:
    >> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?),

    >That was a very basic phone. Now you're looking a lot
    >more fancy - any special reason?
    >
    >> Any recommendations for one with:

    >Nokia 6234. The most pragmatic, decently featured and
    >cost-effective phone I could find.
    >
    >> bluetooth

    >yes
    >> hands free speakerphone

    >yes
    >> camera

    >yes (2MP and quite decent, except at night)
    >> can conect to computer (USB)

    >yes . for usb you need to buy the cable separately , but
    >you can just use bluetooth. I do.
    >> easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    >> text or phonebook

    >Good, readable menu which you can choose
    >text/pictures/both, font size options from small to
    >large on texts, and there are customisable shortcuts so
    >you can have 1-button access to about 6 major functions.
    >
    >> Small enough to easily fit in a pocket

    >Pretty compact.
    >> Reasonably robust

    >Seems OK, but 6234 nothing special in this area.
    >> Anything else?

    >Keys that are not too small
    >
    >> I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    >> they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    >> few dollars if I can get what I want.

    >Think 6234 should be within range of that by now. Not
    >sure though.

    Utter CRAP $499..

    jack, Jun 13, 2007
  14. Geoff

    Jerry Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:29:40 +1200, Aaron Lawrence <> wrote:
    >
    >> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    >> by the name of Geoff exclaimed:
    >>> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >>> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?),

    >> That was a very basic phone. Now you're looking a lot
    >> more fancy - any special reason?
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for one with:

    >> Nokia 6234. The most pragmatic, decently featured and
    >> cost-effective phone I could find.
    >>
    >>> bluetooth

    >> yes
    >>> hands free speakerphone

    >> yes
    >>> camera

    >> yes (2MP and quite decent, except at night)
    >>> can conect to computer (USB)

    >> yes . for usb you need to buy the cable separately , but
    >> you can just use bluetooth. I do.
    >>> easy to use menus that doesn't have you pushing a million buttons to read a
    >>> text or phonebook

    >> Good, readable menu which you can choose
    >> text/pictures/both, font size options from small to
    >> large on texts, and there are customisable shortcuts so
    >> you can have 1-button access to about 6 major functions.
    >>
    >>> Small enough to easily fit in a pocket

    >> Pretty compact.
    >>> Reasonably robust

    >> Seems OK, but 6234 nothing special in this area.
    >>> Anything else?

    >> Keys that are not too small
    >>
    >>> I have had a good run out of Nokias in the past, but am flexible, esp as
    >>> they cost more. The budget is work siproviding $280, and I will put in a
    >>> few dollars if I can get what I want.

    >> Think 6234 should be within range of that by now. Not
    >> sure though.

    > Utter CRAP $499..

    $449 actually
    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...10001&productId=71782&crumb=11902-12704-12701

    Jerry, Jun 14, 2007
  15. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:29:40 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    > by the name of Geoff exclaimed:
    >> My work cellphone croaked the other day, after a weekend in the rain and
    >> several years of use. It was a Nokia 1100(?),

    > That was a very basic phone. Now you're looking a lot
    > more fancy - any special reason?

    Ta for your recommendations.
    Reason for something more fancy - well this one has been well used, and I
    miss features made this century. It is a basic phone but that was what was
    supplied. Been a good phone while it lasted.
    There are a lot of times on site inspections etc that a camera would be
    handy but the batteries are flat (usually) or it is not around, so a camera
    phone would be good, as long as the the pics are decent.
    Bluetooth for hands free for in the car, with the speaker phone as an
    alternative. In due course, I will get oen of the bluetooth kits/ intercoms
    for motorbike helmets.
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 14, 2007
  16. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:08:31 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I'll pay you postage for the 1100 if you would be so kind as to send it my
    > way. I have one with a duff display and all the time in the world to try to
    > make a good one out of the two. misfitnz with a gmail addy if you can
    > oblige.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Sorry, one of the girls at work grabbed it for the same reason. My screen
    died as well.
    Geoff

    Geoff, Jun 14, 2007
  17. Geoff

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:08:31 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > I'll pay you postage for the 1100 if you would be so kind as to
    > > send it my way. I have one with a duff display and all the time in
    > > the world to try to make a good one out of the two. misfitnz with a
    > > gmail addy if you can oblige.
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > Sorry, one of the girls at work grabbed it for the same reason. My
    > screen died as well.
    > Geoff

    Cool. Thanks anyway. :)
    --