    the AF ? I'd prefer not to go above $350, but that's not an absolute
    limit.

    , Dec 26, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I bought my first digital camera - a Fujifilm Finepix S3500 - a few
    > weeks ago, but am not satisfied with it. I'd appreciate your
    > recommendations for other makes/models.
    >
    > What I like about the S3500 (for this price class): 6x optical zoom,
    > electronic viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen, lens
    > hood/adapter, SLR-type appearance. Good colour capture, good macro.
    > Simple menus, easy to use.
    >
    > What I don't like : Slow auto-focus (about one full second), most of
    > all - inability to focus except on a well-lit scene. E.g., the AF
    > fails under subdued indoor lighting.
    >
    > Other dislikes that I can live with (Am I asking too much for the
    > price?) - Weak flash, limited aperture-priority setting (min 8),
    > details lost in brightly-lit areas. Low video frame rate of 10fps.
    >
    > Can you please recommend other makes and models that equal or better
    > the "likes" while substantially improving on the dislikes, especially
    > the AF ? I'd prefer not to go above $350, but that's not an absolute
    > limit.

    Cameras which I know have fast auto-focus include the Nikon 8400 (wide
    angle is its speciality, and it can do 30 fps video) and the Panasonic FZ5
    (image-stabilised 12X optical zoom telephoto is its speciality, 15 fps
    video).

    The restricted minimum aperture is a limitation of all small sensor
    cameras, because of the small sensor and the short focal length lenses
    required. It's caused by diffraction.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 26, 2005

  3. m Ransley Guest

    A sony W5 -W7 and maybe others P200 can have focus on to continualy
    focus when powered, batteries wont last as long, other than focus I have
    no way to compare what you like. Pushing shutter half way also
    prefocuses in regular mode.

    m Ransley, Dec 26, 2005