    Thanks
    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Jun 16, 2005

  2. "Andrew Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    news:42b15322$0$38038$...
    > Looking for recommendations for an ATA to install in parents'
    > house where I will manage it remotely. Should provide POTS
    > feedthrough so they continue using all their current handsets
    > pretty much as they do now, with BT callerid. Would also like
    > direct IP to IP calling.
    >
    > I have been recommended the SIPRA 3000. I couldn't see any
    > mention of direct IP to IP calling in its spec though, and
    > I found a hint in a review that this might not be supported.
    > Looking for any confirmation or otherwise of this feature,
    > and also recommendations of other ATA's that fit the
    > requirement, or any to avoid.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel

    My SPA-3000 has a Yes/No choice to "Enable IP Dialling"

    BT Caller ID works perfectly. Here, the SPA-3000 passes the ID on to my
    Asterisk server & then on to my DECT phone.

    I have been very impressed/pleased with my SPA-3000.

    You can enable remote access & password protect it.

    The Cable Guy, Jun 16, 2005

  3. "Andrew Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for recommendations for an ATA to install in parents'
    > house where I will manage it remotely. Should provide POTS
    > feedthrough so they continue using all their current handsets
    > pretty much as they do now, with BT callerid. Would also like
    > direct IP to IP calling.
    >
    > I have been recommended the SIPRA 3000. I couldn't see any
    > mention of direct IP to IP calling in its spec though, and
    > I found a hint in a review that this might not be supported.
    > Looking for any confirmation or otherwise of this feature,
    > and also recommendations of other ATA's that fit the
    > requirement, or any to avoid.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel

    Another thought - even if IP dialling doesn't work, if both you & your
    parents have a VOIP service provider (there are free ones around - I use
    Sipgate.co.uk) you can dial each other's SIP number free of charge.

    The Cable Guy, Jun 16, 2005
  4. In article <cBcse.51239$>,
    "The Cable Guy" <> writes:
    > Another thought - even if IP dialling doesn't work, if both you & your
    > parents have a VOIP service provider (there are free ones around - I use
    > Sipgate.co.uk) you can dial each other's SIP number free of charge.

    Thanks for the responses. I didn't want to depend unnecessarily
    on a VOIP service provider when some of the family members have
    static IP addresses anyway. Seems to me to defeat part of the
    object of full VoIP.

    Some other family members are on skype which I believe can't work
    with ATA's directly (why is that -- do skype use something proprietry?).
    So I believe we would need to use a SIP VoIP service provider with the
    ATA's, which had a skype peering arrangement.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Jun 16, 2005
  5. "Andrew Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cBcse.51239$>,
    > "The Cable Guy" <> writes:
    >> Another thought - even if IP dialling doesn't work, if both you & your
    >> parents have a VOIP service provider (there are free ones around - I use
    >> Sipgate.co.uk) you can dial each other's SIP number free of charge.

    > Thanks for the responses. I didn't want to depend unnecessarily
    > on a VOIP service provider when some of the family members have
    > static IP addresses anyway. Seems to me to defeat part of the
    > object of full VoIP.
    >
    > Some other family members are on skype which I believe can't work
    > with ATA's directly (why is that -- do skype use something proprietry?).
    > So I believe we would need to use a SIP VoIP service provider with the
    > ATA's, which had a skype peering arrangement.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel

    Well, the SPA-3000 has the ability to perform IP dialling.

    Skype uses proprietry software. There are no hardware based solutions AFAIK,
    excluding USB phones/headsets that require a PC to be turned on. There is
    some development of a client for Asterisk.

    There is a lot of useful information with regards to VOIP ATAs at
    http://voxilla.com or VOIP in general at http://www.voip-info.org

    The Cable Guy, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Andrew Gabriel

    Martin² Guest

    If you starting from scratch it would be cheaper to get a VoIP equipped
    router e.g.
    Draytek Vigor 2100V(cable) or 2500V.
    The 2600V has two VoIP ports but can't do pass -trough to POTS.
    Zoom X5V, no POTS IIRC.
    Possibly the best is the new Zyxel 2602HWL, 2 VoiP ports, different
    registrars, POTS and WIFI.
    BTW I reckon broadbanbuyer.co.uk has made error and are selling it cheaper
    then the 2602HW !
    I promptly bought one, works OK, even got Voipbuster working.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jun 18, 2005