    Do the reloaded ones last as long? ie value for money?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 28, 2004

  2. thing

    a Guest

    In article <h0Ntc.4409$>,
    says...
    > I picked up a HP 5N for free but it says low toner, and in fact prints
    > poorly, shaking the cartridge improved things a bit....
    >
    > 1) If it was a worn drum would it say? I dont want to spend $ on it to
    > find it needs major work.
    >
    > 2) Good brands for re-charged toner cartridges?
    >
    > Some seem around $70 v $130 for a "genuine" HP one.
    >
    > Do the reloaded ones last as long? ie value for money?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    How many pages has it printed ?
    You are meant to install a maintainance kit at about 200 000 pages.

    Usually you can find worn rollers (or a damaged fuser) on these second
    hand. (these components are part of the maintainance kit). Borrow a
    newer toner from sonewhere and see what the print quality is long (and
    listen for squeaks, etc)

    I hear that the non-hp toners work just fine and last as long. Always
    helps to get a good return policy though and you can get leaking toners
    even with genuine HP toners.

    Loads of documentation about HP printers on their web site and the forum
    on there details problems found in the real world.

    a, May 29, 2004

  3. thing

    thing Guest

    a wrote:
    > In article <h0Ntc.4409$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>I picked up a HP 5N for free but it says low toner, and in fact prints
    >>poorly, shaking the cartridge improved things a bit....
    >>
    >>1) If it was a worn drum would it say? I dont want to spend $ on it to
    >>find it needs major work.
    >>
    >>2) Good brands for re-charged toner cartridges?
    >>
    >>Some seem around $70 v $130 for a "genuine" HP one.
    >>
    >>Do the reloaded ones last as long? ie value for money?
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > How many pages has it printed ?
    > You are meant to install a maintainance kit at about 200 000 pages.
    >
    > Usually you can find worn rollers (or a damaged fuser) on these second
    > hand. (these components are part of the maintainance kit). Borrow a
    > newer toner from sonewhere and see what the print quality is long (and
    > listen for squeaks, etc)
    >
    > I hear that the non-hp toners work just fine and last as long. Always
    > helps to get a good return policy though and you can get leaking toners
    > even with genuine HP toners.
    >
    > Loads of documentation about HP printers on their web site and the forum
    > on there details problems found in the real world.

    Looks like its done 273022 pages

    :/

    I dont have access to another toner, I have to buy, the printer was free
    anyway.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 29, 2004
  4. On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:37:59 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Looks like its done 273022 pages
    >
    >:/
    >
    > I dont have access to another toner, I have to buy, the printer was free
    > anyway.

    Like woger's advice: free - and worth every last farthing you paid for it.
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Even the _Devil_ can cite Scripture for his purpose.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 29, 2004
  5. thing

    geoffm Guest

    I have some workshop manual scans of various printers if it helps. GOt
    the 5L, but I couldn't see the 5N - may be there somewhere. Let me
    know if you want it
    GEoff

    geoffm, May 29, 2004
  6. thing

    thing Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:37:59 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>Looks like its done 273022 pages
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>I dont have access to another toner, I have to buy, the printer was free
    >>anyway.

    > Like woger's advice: free - and worth every last farthing you paid for it.

    and linux is free....

    so your point was?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 29, 2004
  7. thing

    thing Guest

    geoffm wrote:
    > I have some workshop manual scans of various printers if it helps. GOt
    > the 5L, but I couldn't see the 5N - may be there somewhere. Let me
    > know if you want it
    > GEoff

    5n is a 5 with a network card in it as far as I can tell.

    They were throwing it out so Im sure if I decide to spend $70 I can
    locate a manual.

    thanks

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 29, 2004
  8. On Sun, 30 May 2004 10:06:01 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:37:59 +1200, thing wrote:
    >>

    >>>Looks like its done 273022 pages
    >>>
    >>>:/
    >>>
    >>>I dont have access to another toner, I have to buy, the printer was free
    >>>anyway.

    >> Like woger's advice: free - and worth every last farthing you paid for it.

    > and linux is free....
    >
    > so your point was?

    If you don't know and can't figure it out, let it carry on floating past.
    It's not my job to educate you.

    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Screw political correctness - let's just tell it like it _really_ is!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 30, 2004
  9. On 29 May 2004 03:43:08 -0500, geoffm wrote:

    > I have some workshop manual scans of various printers if it helps. GOt
    > the 5L, but I couldn't see the 5N - may be there somewhere. Let me
    > know if you want it
    > GEoff

    Geoff, you wouldn't happen to have anything relating to the Brother
    HL-1430 would you, or the HL-5040?
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Next to a dog, the wastebasket is man's best friend.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 30, 2004
  10. thing

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 08:12:03 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >I picked up a HP 5N for free but it says low toner, and in fact prints
    >poorly, shaking the cartridge improved things a bit....
    >
    >1) If it was a worn drum would it say? I dont want to spend $ on it to
    >find it needs major work.
    >
    >2) Good brands for re-charged toner cartridges?
    >
    >Some seem around $70 v $130 for a "genuine" HP one.
    >
    >Do the reloaded ones last as long? ie value for money?

    Most refills should be fine, although they can vary a bit in print
    quality. I've found the genuine HP toner to print a bit darker &
    sharper than refills, but for general use there isn't much in it.

    As for drums they're a part of the toner cartridge and a new one is
    fitted with the toner by most refill crowds, but it does to pay to ask
    & confirm that as a few of the low-cost outfits might skimp on cost
    there.

    About the only problem I've encountered with refills is they
    occasionally print like crap, but in every case the supplier was happy
    to replace it with no questions asked. That's not a common occurence,
    but definitely happens more than with the real article.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 30, 2004
  11. thing

    geoffm Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:04:59 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On 29 May 2004 03:43:08 -0500, geoffm wrote:
    >
    >> I have some workshop manual scans of various printers if it helps. GOt
    >> the 5L, but I couldn't see the 5N - may be there somewhere. Let me
    >> know if you want it
    >> GEoff

    >Geoff, you wouldn't happen to have anything relating to the Brother
    >HL-1430 would you, or the HL-5040?

    Sorry, Only have HP, epson, some lexmark and oki printers. I have a
    HL-1430 - good little printer so I have been keeping my eyes open but
    nothing yet.
    Geoff

    geoffm, May 30, 2004
  12. thing

    thing Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 10:06:01 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>>Like woger's advice: free - and worth every last farthing you paid for it.

    >>and linux is free....
    >>
    >>so your point was?

    > If you don't know and can't figure it out, let it carry on floating past.
    > It's not my job to educate you.

    I would not wish to be educated by your like.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 30, 2004
  13. On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:00:28 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>>and linux is free....
    >>>
    >>>so your point was?

    >> If you don't know and can't figure it out, let it carry on floating past.
    >> It's not my job to educate you.
    >>

    > I would not wish to be educated by your like.

    I'm sure far better people than I - experts, even - have tried, and given
    up in despair.

    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - If you can't bite, don't bare your teeth.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 30, 2004
  14. thing

    Chris Guest

    thing <> wrote in

    > geoffm wrote:
    >> I have some workshop manual scans of various printers if it helps. GOt
    >> the 5L, but I couldn't see the 5N - may be there somewhere. Let me
    >> know if you want it
    >> GEoff

    > 5n is a 5 with a network card in it as far as I can tell.
    >
    > They were throwing it out so Im sure if I decide to spend $70 I can
    > locate a manual.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I have a 5L and the 5N is not listed on the Toner Cartridge box so there
    might be other differences as well but the 5L, which was a cheaper model,
    has the drum in the cartridge, so chances are the 5N does too - can you
    lift the flap up on the cartridge and see a drum ? Also the HP site has
    (had) quite a lot of technicial info about the 5L so that may also be the
    case for the 5N. Even though my 5L didn't do much work over the years I
    found that the paper transport rollers etc need replaceing due to them
    becoming perrished through old age and heat so that might be another
    consideration before spending money on it. Somebody was selling a kit of
    HP parts for the 5L (and other models printers) to replace the paper
    transport rollers and page separators.
    --
    Chris

    Chris, May 30, 2004
  15. thing

    Chris Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:00:28 +1200, thing wrote:
    >
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>> If you don't know and can't figure it out, let it carry on floating
    >>> past. It's not my job to educate you.
    >>>

    >> I would not wish to be educated by your like.

    > I'm sure far better people than I - experts, even - have tried, and
    > given up in despair.

    I see it's 8:45 PM when you posted that. Hasn't your mother tucked you up
    in bed yet ? - it's school tomorrow you know :)

    --
    Chris

    Chris, May 30, 2004
  16. On 30 May 2004 22:47:17 +1200, Chris wrote:

    > I see it's 8:45 PM when you posted that. Hasn't your mother tucked you up
    > in bed yet ? - it's school tomorrow you know :)

    Up yours. Sideways. Slowly.

    My mother, for your information, has been dead for 50 years. She would
    have been 92 this year. Any more fucking idiot comments, Laughing Boy?

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 30, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 30, 2004
  18. thing

    Chris Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote in

    > On 30 May 2004 22:47:17 +1200, Chris wrote:
    >
    >> I see it's 8:45 PM when you posted that. Hasn't your mother tucked
    >> you up in bed yet ? - it's school tomorrow you know :)

    > Up yours. Sideways. Slowly.
    >
    > My mother, for your information, has been dead for 50 years. She
    > would have been 92 this year. Any more fucking idiot comments,
    > Laughing Boy?

    Depends if you decide to continue acting like a child

    --
    Chris

    Chris, May 30, 2004
  19. thing

    Chris Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > Chris wrote:
    >> Depends if you decide to continue acting like a child

    > you started it.
    >

    > heh

    No, I just joined in, like you :)

    hehe

    --
    Chris

    Chris, May 31, 2004
  20. Chris wrote:
    >>>Depends if you decide to continue acting like a child

    >>you started it.
    >>heh

    > No, I just joined in, like you :)

    ok then, never mind... Im just going to throw my toys out of the sandbox
    and go play *my* playstation...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz