Recommendations for a replacement ATA

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Don, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    I seem to have managed to "brick" my Grandstream Handytone 486. It was
    blinking so I foolishly cycled the power to reboot it. Only afterwards did
    I read that blinking every 6 seconds meant it was updating firmware - I'd
    got it in my head that an intermittent blink meant it hadn't registered. It
    now blinks every 4 seconds, and I think that's terminal!

    So - I'm looking to replace it, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas on how
    to resurrect it.

    At present I've got one Sipgate account, but eventually I might want a
    second account that would ring on a second FXS port. I would like the ATA
    to present BT CLID and BT ring cadence (to work with the PABX - guarded
    clear would be a nice bonus). I plan to connect the ATA behind my router
    (on Virgin cable broadband). I'm also planning to upgrade the router before
    long to wireless, so a combined router/ATA might also be a possibility,
    although I'm a bit put off by negative comments on combined router/ATAs.

    I've done a bit of googling, but would welcome some recommendations based on
    experience.

    Thanks in advance

    Don, Aug 29, 2009

  2. Don

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 29/08/09 22:02, Don wrote:
    > I seem to have managed to "brick" my Grandstream Handytone 486. It was
    > blinking so I foolishly cycled the power to reboot it. Only afterwards did
    > I read that blinking every 6 seconds meant it was updating firmware - I'd
    > got it in my head that an intermittent blink meant it hadn't registered. It
    > now blinks every 4 seconds, and I think that's terminal!
    >
    > So - I'm looking to replace it, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas on how
    > to resurrect it.
    >
    > At present I've got one Sipgate account, but eventually I might want a
    > second account that would ring on a second FXS port. I would like the ATA
    > to present BT CLID and BT ring cadence (to work with the PABX - guarded
    > clear would be a nice bonus). I plan to connect the ATA behind my router
    > (on Virgin cable broadband). I'm also planning to upgrade the router before
    > long to wireless, so a combined router/ATA might also be a possibility,
    > although I'm a bit put off by negative comments on combined router/ATAs.
    >
    > I've done a bit of googling, but would welcome some recommendations based on
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Personal recommendation is one of the AVM Fritz!Box series. I use the
    7170 which has 3 FXS ports, 4 LAN ports, a USB host port and wireless.
    It has a built in ADSL modem but you can use it behind a cable modem at
    the expense of one of the LAN ports.

    www.avm.de/en is the manufacturer's site. No connection except as a
    satisfied customer.

    Read my review of the 7170 here:

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7170-pri-560.html?reviews_id=10

    (or http://preview.tinyurl.com/lfbvk9 in case the above wraps)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 29, 2009

  3. Don

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 29/08/09 23:28, Ivor Jones wrote:
    [snip]

    > Personal recommendation is one of the AVM Fritz!Box series. I use the
    > 7170 which has 3 FXS ports, 4 LAN ports, a USB host port and wireless.
    > It has a built in ADSL modem but you can use it behind a cable modem at
    > the expense of one of the LAN ports.
    >
    > www.avm.de/en is the manufacturer's site. No connection except as a
    > satisfied customer.
    >
    > Read my review of the 7170 here:
    >
    > http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7170-pri-560.html?reviews_id=10
    >

    > (or http://preview.tinyurl.com/lfbvk9 in case the above wraps)

    PS if you do buy one, do a firmware update straight away as the tones
    have only recently been updated to the UK standard ones. Earlier
    firmware will have German tones.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 29, 2009
  4. In article <UMgmm.8325$2>,
    Don <> wrote:
    >I seem to have managed to "brick" my Grandstream Handytone 486. It was
    >blinking so I foolishly cycled the power to reboot it. Only afterwards did
    >I read that blinking every 6 seconds meant it was updating firmware - I'd
    >got it in my head that an intermittent blink meant it hadn't registered. It
    >now blinks every 4 seconds, and I think that's terminal!
    >
    >So - I'm looking to replace it, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas on how
    >to resurrect it.
    >
    >At present I've got one Sipgate account, but eventually I might want a
    >second account that would ring on a second FXS port. I would like the ATA
    >to present BT CLID and BT ring cadence (to work with the PABX - guarded
    >clear would be a nice bonus). I plan to connect the ATA behind my router
    >(on Virgin cable broadband). I'm also planning to upgrade the router before
    >long to wireless, so a combined router/ATA might also be a possibility,
    >although I'm a bit put off by negative comments on combined router/ATAs.
    >
    >I've done a bit of googling, but would welcome some recommendations based on
    >experience.

    I've a couple of customers using Linksys PAP2T's to front small analogue
    PBXs they have. Seems to work for them, but I've no first-hand experience
    of what they were like to program, etc.

    Regarding router/ATA's - I use a Draytek myself, but it's just to feed an
    old DECT phone I have at home - I'm a bit of the opinion that it's best
    to go down the individual device route these days (So separate router,
    ATA, Wi-Fi AP), but it's sometimes hard to justify the costs and extra
    wiring for a home setup, I guess...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 30, 2009
  5. Don <> wrote in <UMgmm.8325$2>:
    > I seem to have managed to "brick" my Grandstream Handytone 486. It was
    > blinking so I foolishly cycled the power to reboot it. Only afterwards did
    > I read that blinking every 6 seconds meant it was updating firmware - I'd
    > got it in my head that an intermittent blink meant it hadn't registered. It
    > now blinks every 4 seconds, and I think that's terminal!

    I have helped unbrick a grandstream phone, maybe (just maybe) the same
    trick can be done on your ATA. It just needs a lot of Unix (Linux) network
    knowledge.

    For that phone the 'when all else has failed' option was to fetch firmware
    via tftp from a hardcoded IP somewhere on grandstreams servers. Since tftp
    isn't very reliable on the Internet at large *and* the fallback tftp client
    wasn't very bright this failed miserably. The workaround was to program
    said fixed IP locally and configure a tftp server behind it with the right
    firmware.

    "Experienced unix/network administrator" stuff so you'll need to find
    one locally to bribe with the right drink(s) to try this. But I wanted
    to share this bit of info.

    Koos van den Hout

    --
    The Virtual Bookcase, the site about books, book | Koos van den Hout
    news and reviews http://www.virtualbookcase.com/ | http://idefix.net/~koos/

    Koos van den Hout, Aug 30, 2009
  6. Don

    Paulg0 Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > I've a couple of customers using Linksys PAP2T's to front small analogue
    > PBXs they have. Seems to work for them, but I've no first-hand experience
    > of what they were like to program, etc.

    I use PAP2's at work for providing temporary "hire" lines for clients and at
    home for my own use. They are cheap & cheerful, reliable and reletively easy
    to set up

    Paul

    Paulg0, Aug 30, 2009
  7. Don

    Graham. Guest

    >> I've a couple of customers using Linksys PAP2T's to front small analogue
    >> PBXs they have. Seems to work for them, but I've no first-hand experience
    >> of what they were like to program, etc.

    > I use PAP2's at work for providing temporary "hire" lines for clients and
    > at home for my own use. They are cheap & cheerful, reliable and reletively
    > easy to set up
    >
    > Paul

    Not to mention BOGOF

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 30, 2009
  8. Don

    Bodincus Guest

    Don:
    > I seem to have managed to "brick" my Grandstream Handytone 486. It was
    > blinking so I foolishly cycled the power to reboot it. Only afterwards did
    > I read that blinking every 6 seconds meant it was updating firmware - I'd
    > got it in my head that an intermittent blink meant it hadn't registered. It
    > now blinks every 4 seconds, and I think that's terminal!
    >
    > So - I'm looking to replace it, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas on how
    > to resurrect it.
    >
    > At present I've got one Sipgate account, but eventually I might want a
    > second account that would ring on a second FXS port. I would like the ATA
    > to present BT CLID and BT ring cadence (to work with the PABX - guarded
    > clear would be a nice bonus). I plan to connect the ATA behind my router
    > (on Virgin cable broadband). I'm also planning to upgrade the router before
    > long to wireless, so a combined router/ATA might also be a possibility,
    > although I'm a bit put off by negative comments on combined router/ATAs.
    >
    > I've done a bit of googling, but would welcome some recommendations based on
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I would second Ivor's recommendation for a FritzBox.
    They're some impressive piece of kit, I have one of the first
    incarnations (FritzBox WLAN) with two FXS ports (to connect analog
    phones), one FXO port (to connect a plain inbound landline) that doubles
    as an ISDN port (if you have a PABX, that might be a nice bonus), one
    ADSL (useless for us on cable), one LAN (just the one, but enough to
    have it on the network as a client) and is a WLAN Access point with WPA2.
    The latest incarnations have more features you can shake a stick at.
    Touch wood, worked flawlessly for 5 years now! I have considered many
    times to replace it, but its reliability is unbeatable, and the
    concentration of features is impressive.
    To get the same services, I should set up an asterisk-based server (£
    200+) with a 4-port PSTN card (2 FXS, 2 FXO, £250+) and a Wireless
    Access Point (£ 50+), not getting in the mix all the time to sort out
    and configure all the kit. I can find the best FritzBox (7270) @ £189.75
    inc. VAT. No contest.
    I have been playing with all different brands and makes of VoIP kit, and
    the German stuff (AVM and SNOM) has always been The Most Reliable Kit Ever.
    BTW, mine is an endorsement, not selling anything nor making money out
    of this!
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------

    Bodincus, Aug 30, 2009
  9. Don

    Graham. Guest

    Don:
    > I seem to have managed to "brick" my Grandstream Handytone 486. It was
    > blinking so I foolishly cycled the power to reboot it. Only afterwards
    > did I read that blinking every 6 seconds meant it was updating firmware -
    > I'd got it in my head that an intermittent blink meant it hadn't
    > registered. It now blinks every 4 seconds, and I think that's terminal!
    >
    > So - I'm looking to replace it, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas on
    > how to resurrect it.
    >
    > At present I've got one Sipgate account, but eventually I might want a
    > second account that would ring on a second FXS port. I would like the ATA
    > to present BT CLID and BT ring cadence (to work with the PABX - guarded
    > clear would be a nice bonus). I plan to connect the ATA behind my router
    > (on Virgin cable broadband). I'm also planning to upgrade the router
    > before long to wireless, so a combined router/ATA might also be a
    > possibility, although I'm a bit put off by negative comments on combined
    > router/ATAs.
    >
    > I've done a bit of googling, but would welcome some recommendations based
    > on experience.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I would second Ivor's recommendation for a FritzBox.
    They're some impressive piece of kit, I have one of the first
    incarnations (FritzBox WLAN) with two FXS ports (to connect analog
    phones), one FXO port (to connect a plain inbound landline) that doubles
    as an ISDN port (if you have a PABX, that might be a nice bonus), one
    ADSL (useless for us on cable), one LAN (just the one, but enough to
    have it on the network as a client) and is a WLAN Access point with WPA2.
    The latest incarnations have more features you can shake a stick at.
    Touch wood, worked flawlessly for 5 years now! I have considered many
    times to replace it, but its reliability is unbeatable, and the
    concentration of features is impressive.
    To get the same services, I should set up an asterisk-based server (£
    200+) with a 4-port PSTN card (2 FXS, 2 FXO, £250+) and a Wireless
    Access Point (£ 50+), not getting in the mix all the time to sort out
    and configure all the kit. I can find the best FritzBox (7270) @ £189.75
    inc. VAT. No contest.
    I have been playing with all different brands and makes of VoIP kit, and
    the German stuff (AVM and SNOM) has always been The Most Reliable Kit Ever.
    BTW, mine is an endorsement, not selling anything nor making money out
    of this!

    Der Scheck ist in der Post.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 31, 2009
  10. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

    I've spent most of today ****ering around with the Grandstream 486 and have
    found that it is working after all. I don't know what happened the other
    day, but since it was disabling all my internet access I removed it and left
    the router directly connected to the Virgin Media broadband so that my PC
    could connect to the internet. When I subsequently reconnected the 486
    downstream of the router, it just flashed and I couldn't access the
    configuration menu, hence my thinking I had done it some mischief. Anyway,
    I've now got it back up and wokring.

    All is not quite sorted yet though, as for some reason, after making a call,
    the call does not disconnect when the handset is replaced, so if the number
    I've dialled is unanswered, it just carries on ringing until the called
    number times out. I've not worked that out yet, but I think it may be
    something to do with port forwarding on the router.

    So - despite the strong recommendations for a Fritzbox, I'm afraid I think
    I'll save a bit of money and just replace the router for a wireless one.

    --
    Don

    Don, Aug 31, 2009
  11. Don

    brian Guest

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:32:54 +0100, Don wrote:

    > Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    >
    > I've spent most of today ****ering around with the Grandstream 486 and
    > have found that it is working after all. I don't know what happened the
    > other day, but since it was disabling all my internet access I removed
    > it and left the router directly connected to the Virgin Media broadband
    > so that my PC could connect to the internet. When I subsequently
    > reconnected the 486 downstream of the router, it just flashed and I
    > couldn't access the configuration menu, hence my thinking I had done it
    > some mischief. Anyway, I've now got it back up and wokring.
    >
    > All is not quite sorted yet though, as for some reason, after making a
    > call, the call does not disconnect when the handset is replaced, so if
    > the number I've dialled is unanswered, it just carries on ringing until
    > the called number times out. I've not worked that out yet, but I think
    > it may be something to do with port forwarding on the router.
    >
    > So - despite the strong recommendations for a Fritzbox, I'm afraid I
    > think I'll save a bit of money and just replace the router for a
    > wireless one.

    My recommendation is for an SPA-3102 working just as an ATA. The dialling
    experience is far better than the Fritzbox. However, as a router/ATA the
    Fritzbox 'quality of service' seems to work well. I have a Fritzbox but I
    mainly use it as a router and have an SPA-3000 attached to it (replaced
    now by SPA-3102). I just use the Fritzbox ATA capability for experiments.
    By the way, I should just mention that using the SPA-3102 as a router,
    and expecting the QoS in that to perform is a waste of time. The QoS is
    totally rubbish - in my experience it just does nothing!
    However, as a straight ATA I think that it is difficult to beat for its
    versatility in regard to settings.

    brian, Sep 2, 2009