Recommendations for a reliable VoIP Provider

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Richard Anderton, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. As the newly appointed Secretary of an organisation with world wide
    membership (But no premises), I want to set up a VoIP system for members
    to contact me. Specifically I want to publish a number (and eventually
    numbers) that are separate from my other PSTN numbers.

    Requirements are:
    1. Reliability
    2. UK geographic number with the ability to add geographic numbers in
    other parts of the world (possibly via other providers). Ideally free
    but not necessarily so.
    3. Because calls may come in outside UK Office hours need to have
    voicemail facilities.
    4. Low cost world wide outgoing calls.
    5. CLI

    I know that many providers offer these things but reliability is
    critically important.

    Any thoughts from the group.
    --
    Richard Anderton
     
    Richard Anderton, Jun 19, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Richard Anderton wrote:
    > As the newly appointed Secretary of an organisation with world wide
    > membership (But no premises), I want to set up a VoIP system for members
    > to contact me. Specifically I want to publish a number (and eventually
    > numbers) that are separate from my other PSTN numbers.
    >
    > Requirements are:
    > 1. Reliability
    > 2. UK geographic number with the ability to add geographic numbers in
    > other parts of the world (possibly via other providers). Ideally free
    > but not necessarily so.
    > 3. Because calls may come in outside UK Office hours need to have
    > voicemail facilities.
    > 4. Low cost world wide outgoing calls.
    > 5. CLI
    >
    > I know that many providers offer these things but reliability is
    > critically important.
    >
    > Any thoughts from the group.
    > --
    > Richard Anderton


    you wont go wrong with www.voipfone.co.uk i have been using them for
    the past few months no problems at all and very good customer service

    mat
     
    Mathew Curtis, Jun 19, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Richard Anderton

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:12 +0100, Richard Anderton
    <> wrote:


    >Requirements are:
    >1. Reliability

    That rules OUT Sipgate for starters .
     
    , Jun 19, 2005
    #3
  4. wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:12 +0100, Richard Anderton
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    > >Requirements are:
    > >1. Reliability

    > That rules OUT Sipgate for starters .


    Dont be like that dex they do try :)

    Mat
     
    Mathew Curtis, Jun 19, 2005
    #4
  5. Richard Anderton

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Mathew Curtis writes
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:12 +0100, Richard Anderton
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> >Requirements are:
    >> >1. Reliability

    >> That rules OUT Sipgate for starters .

    >
    >Dont be like that dex they do try :)
    >
    >


    Yes! Very trying!!
     
    David Floyd, Jun 19, 2005
    #5
  6. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:12 +0100, Richard Anderton
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Requirements are:
    >>> 1. Reliability

    >> That rules OUT Sipgate for starters .

    >
    > Dont be like that dex they do try :)
    >
    > Mat


    He never misses the chance for a dig ;-)

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #6
  7. Richard Anderton

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:47:12 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Mathew Curtis wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:12 +0100, Richard Anderton
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Requirements are:
    >>>> 1. Reliability
    >>> That rules OUT Sipgate for starters .

    >>
    >> Dont be like that dex they do try :)
    >>
    >> Mat

    >
    >He never misses the chance for a dig ;-)
    >
    >Ivor
    >

    No one can say they ARE reliable Ivor because it just isn't true .
     
    , Jun 19, 2005
    #7
  8. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:47:12 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mathew Curtis wrote:
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:12 +0100, Richard Anderton
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Requirements are:
    >>>>> 1. Reliability
    >>>> That rules OUT Sipgate for starters .
    >>>
    >>> Dont be like that dex they do try :)
    >>>
    >>> Mat

    >>
    >> He never misses the chance for a dig ;-)
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    > No one can say they ARE reliable Ivor because it just isn't true .


    Gosh..! You left a blank line..! Am I finally getting through <g>

    My local bus service isn't exactly 100% either but I don't slag them off
    every time I post a message. No I don't work for Sipgate, but I do get fed
    up when you and others slag them off every chance you get. They are doing
    their best; if that isn't good enough for you then don't use them, then
    you'll never have to moan about them again..!

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #8
  9. Richard Anderton

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:24:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >My local bus service isn't exactly 100% either but I don't slag them off
    >every time I post a message. No I don't work for Sipgate, but I do get fed
    >up when you and others slag them off every chance you get. They are doing
    >their best; if that isn't good enough for you then don't use them, then
    >you'll never have to moan about them again..!


    I WILL moan or comment about anybody or company that I feel is not
    providing a good enough service be I a customer or not Ivor. It is no
    use Sipgate or any other telicom company saying they will give a free
    uk local number when it only works some of the time and giving free
    this that and the other counts for nothing take the voice mail service
    one of the free this that and the other for instance . How many months
    has it been in supposed beta IVOR ? believe you me Ivor
    where Sipgate costing me anything I would be shut of them like
    yesterday having now having had experience of the reliable service you
    get by paying a small monthly fee to companys like VOIPfone and Just
    dial.
    Bear one thing in mind Ivor no one would ever think of slaging Sipgate
    off if they got their act together there would be no reason to do so,
    you do not see anyone slagging Voipfone or Just dial or any of the
    other UK providers off here because the do not give people reason to
    do so Sipgate on the other hand do give a lot of reason .......... .
     
    , Jun 19, 2005
    #9
  10. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:

    [snip]

    > Bear one thing in mind Ivor no one would ever think of slaging
    > Sipgate off if they got their act together there would be no reason
    > to do so, you do not see anyone slagging Voipfone or Just dial or
    > any of the other UK providers off here because the do not give
    > people reason to do so Sipgate on the other hand do give a lot of
    > reason .......... .


    So don't use them..! If you don't like their service why on earth are you
    still here..?! If I don't like a company's service I simply don't use
    them. I don't get up on a soapbox and slag them off left right and centre.
    If I feel the issue is worth it, I will take it up with the company
    concerned.

    You obviously have an issue with Sipgate, so why don't you take it up with
    them direct..? Moaning on here is going to achieve precisely *nothing* -
    complain to those who are in a position to do something about it, or use
    another service.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #10
  11. Richard Anderton

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:54:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:



    >So don't use them..! If you don't like their service why on earth are you
    >still here..?!

    So why didn't you name this group uk.telecom .voip. sipgate then Ivor
    and I wouldn't be here.

    >If I don't like a company's service I simply don't use
    >them.


    I don't use them even though I have fifteen quid lying on my two
    Sipgate lines still .

    >You obviously have an issue with Sipgate,


    So have many other people judging by what I have read HERE over the
    last weeks .
    > so why don't you take it up with
    >them direct..?

    Impossable to contact them by phone which is another thing which
    annoyes me greatly , 18866 and 1899 have the same effect on me and I
    do not used them either .

    >Moaning on here is going to achieve precisely *nothing* -


    Mamy people do Ivor ............................... .
     
    , Jun 19, 2005
    #11
  12. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:54:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> So don't use them..! If you don't like their service why on earth
    >> are you still here..?!


    > So why didn't you name this group uk.telecom .voip. sipgate then
    > Ivor and I wouldn't be here.


    Because it's for all VoIP users, even you <g>

    >> If I don't like a company's service I simply don't use
    >> them.

    >
    > I don't use them even though I have fifteen quid lying on my two
    > Sipgate lines still .
    >
    >> You obviously have an issue with Sipgate,

    >
    > So have many other people judging by what I have read HERE over the
    > last weeks .


    But you're the only one having a go with such intensity..!

    >> so why don't you take it up with
    >> them direct..?


    > Impossable to contact them by phone which is another thing which
    > annoyes me greatly , 18866 and 1899 have the same effect on me and I
    > do not used them either .


    That isn't a valid reason for not pursuing the issue. You should do this
    sort of thing in writing anyway. You can get their postal address from the
    website. The managing director's name is there as well.

    >> Moaning on here is going to achieve precisely *nothing* -

    >
    > Mamy people do Ivor ............................... .


    How true ;-)

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #12
  13. wrote:

    || you do not see anyone slagging Voipfone or Just dial or any of the
    || other UK providers off here because the do not give people reason to
    || do so Sipgate on the other hand do give a lot of reason .......... .

    Voipfone are a load of old................no, never used them. What do you
    like about them Dexter?

    Can you use SIP hardware devices, IAX, or onlt their softphone?
     
    The Cable Guy, Jun 19, 2005
    #13
  14. Richard Anderton wrote:
    > As the newly appointed Secretary of an organisation with world wide
    > membership (But no premises), I want to set up a VoIP system for members
    > to contact me. Specifically I want to publish a number (and eventually
    > numbers) that are separate from my other PSTN numbers.
    >
    > Requirements are:
    > 1. Reliability
    > 2. UK geographic number with the ability to add geographic numbers in
    > other parts of the world (possibly via other providers). Ideally free
    > but not necessarily so.
    > 3. Because calls may come in outside UK Office hours need to have
    > voicemail facilities.
    > 4. Low cost world wide outgoing calls.
    > 5. CLI
    >
    > I know that many providers offer these things but reliability is
    > critically important.
    >
    > Any thoughts from the group.


    We're very focused on the UK SME market, and with a good 1000 active
    businesses using our services as their primary phone line, we take
    reliability pretty seriously.

    cheers
    peter

    --
    peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd. http://www.gradwell.com/
    -- engineering & hosting services for email, web and voip --
    -- http://www.peter.me.uk/ -- http://www.voip.org.uk/ --
     
    Peter Gradwell, Jun 19, 2005
    #14
  15. Richard Anderton

    David Floyd Guest

    As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why there
    is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are not worthy
    of recommendation.

    This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if Ivor
    recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

    DF
     
    David Floyd, Jun 19, 2005
    #15
  16. David Floyd wrote:
    || As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
    || there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
    || not worthy of recommendation.
    ||
    || This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if
    || Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!
    ||
    || DF

    Why are you replying to me about something I didn't ask?

    Anyway you got it arse over tits. Ivor was the one retaliating, not
    recommending.
     
    The Cable Guy, Jun 19, 2005
    #16
  17. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
    > there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
    > not worthy of recommendation.


    It's not so much that I recommend them, more that I dislike seeing anyone,
    be they an individual or a company, slagged off all the time, particularly
    if the problems are not their fault.

    > This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if
    > Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!


    I am *not* recommending them..! I am merely stating that I as an
    individual am on the whole satisfied with their service. Yes they have
    problems but they are not, *to me*, enough to warrant paying someone else
    a monthly charge. Sipgate are not the only provider who have had problems.
    There are plenty of messages in this group about 1899 and others which
    aren't exactly complimentary.

    Yes Sipgate have had problems, but not all of them have been of their
    making. If the PSTN gateway goes down for example, as has happened, it can
    hardly be their fault if the problem lies elsewhere.

    Standing on a soapbox and shouting "SIPGATE ARE RUBBISH" all day long
    isn't going to achieve anything. Write to the managing director voicing
    your complaints; his name and postal address are on the website. If you
    feel that strongly about it, withdraw your custom. If enough people do
    that and *if* the problems are Sipgate's fault then if they fail to
    address them it *will* be their fault.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #17
  18. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:

    [snip]

    > We're very focused on the UK SME market, and with a good 1000 active
    > businesses using our services as their primary phone line, we take
    > reliability pretty seriously.


    I have no doubt Peter that your service is reliable, and that you have the
    best of intentions, but you charge a monthly line rental. I don't feel
    that charge is warranted for my usage. For a business perhaps, but as I
    already pay PSTN and moble monthly rentals, more charges without a call
    even being made isn't viable for me. One of the main things that attracted
    me to Sipgate in the first instance was the lack of a monthly charge.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #18
  19. Richard Anderton

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Ivor Jones writes
    >David Floyd wrote:
    >> As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
    >> there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
    >> not worthy of recommendation.

    >
    >It's not so much that I recommend them, more that I dislike seeing anyone,
    >be they an individual or a company, slagged off all the time, particularly
    >if the problems are not their fault.
    >
    >> This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if
    >> Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

    >
    >I am *not* recommending them..!


    Having re-read the thread I see that you did not recommends them on this
    occasion (but you often do), so I apologise for accusing of this.

    David
     
    David Floyd, Jun 19, 2005
    #19
  20. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Ivor Jones writes
    >> David Floyd wrote:
    >>> As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
    >>> there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
    >>> not worthy of recommendation.

    >>
    >> It's not so much that I recommend them, more that I dislike seeing
    >> anyone, be they an individual or a company, slagged off all the
    >> time, particularly if the problems are not their fault.
    >>
    >>> This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder
    >>> if Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

    >>
    >> I am *not* recommending them..!

    >
    > Having re-read the thread I see that you did not recommends them on
    > this occasion (but you often do), so I apologise for accusing of
    > this.


    No apology necessary. However I do wish that certain people would go to
    Speakers Corner with their soapboxes <g>

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Phil
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    3,992
    Mathew Curtis
    May 26, 2005
  2. Anon Y Mous

    Reliable Business VOIP Provider

    Anon Y Mous, Aug 9, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    1,167
    Mathew Curtis
    Aug 17, 2005
  3. Replies:
    17
    Views:
    718
    UKHierarchy
    Sep 1, 2005
  4. www.crystal-power.co.uk
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    822
    alexd
    Sep 28, 2005
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,010
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page