    up to our new MySky box so I can backup the recorded data.

    So ... any suggestions or recommendations for a good, cheap DVD
    recorder/player? TIA

    Donchano, Feb 11, 2010

  2. On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:21:02 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >After losing all our saved programmes when our MySky hard drive
    >malfunctioned I'd like to buy a good, inexpensive DVD recorder to hook
    >up to our new MySky box so I can backup the recorded data.
    >
    >So ... any suggestions or recommendations for a good, cheap DVD
    >recorder/player? TIA

    If your PC is within cable distance of your MySky box, you could just
    put a tuner card in it (MPEG2 hardware encoder capable) and use that.
    You would probably also want to add another 1+ Tbyte hard disk. That
    has the advantage of being able to backup your files easily, or even
    to record directly to a NAS box if you have one with a gigabit
    ethernet connection. Playback requires an accelerated video card and
    HDMI cable the other way, which a lot of PC already support. Nvidia
    cards were best, last time I looked, but reportedly the competitors
    accelerated video drivers have got substantially better since then. If
    you need component or S-Video output to your TV, options are rather
    more limited.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 11, 2010

  3. Donchano

    Richard Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > After losing all our saved programmes when our MySky hard drive
    > malfunctioned I'd like to buy a good, inexpensive DVD recorder to hook
    > up to our new MySky box so I can backup the recorded data.
    >
    > So ... any suggestions or recommendations for a good, cheap DVD
    > recorder/player? TIA

    They are not your recorded programs, so what you are asking for is
    technically illegal.

    But a panasonic would be my choice, seem to be the least break prone.

    Richard, Mar 3, 2010