    I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.

    What do people like currently, particularly
    those with the same criteria ?

    Rod Speed, Apr 26, 2006

  2. Rod Speed wrote:
    > Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    > mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >
    > Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    >
    > I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    > cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    > speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    > media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    >
    > So that basically means a brand/model that has
    > decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    > performance with the current firmware too.
    >
    > I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    >
    > What do people like currently, particularly
    > those with the same criteria ?

    LG GSA 4167
    Even does DVDRAM

    Ian Ozenthroat, Apr 26, 2006

  3. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ian Ozenthroat <> wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    >> mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >>
    >> Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    >>
    >> I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    >> cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    >> speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    >> media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    >>
    >> So that basically means a brand/model that has
    >> decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    >> performance with the current firmware too.
    >>
    >> I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    >>
    >> What do people like currently, particularly
    >> those with the same criteria ?
    >>

    > LG GSA 4167
    > Even does DVDRAM

    Yeah, that was at the top of my list.

    What about the replacement H10A ?

    Rod Speed, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ian Ozenthroat <> wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    >> mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >>
    >> Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    >>
    >> I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    >> cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    >> speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    >> media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    >>
    >> So that basically means a brand/model that has
    >> decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    >> performance with the current firmware too.
    >>
    >> I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    >>
    >> What do people like currently, particularly
    >> those with the same criteria ?
    >>

    > LG GSA 4167
    > Even does DVDRAM

    What do you think about the videohelp comment that
    the dual layer laser burns out in a very few burns ?
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=1187&Search=Search&list=2#comments
    While I dont burn DL much, that may well change if they get cheap enough.

    Guess it makes some sense to go with the known 4167b rather
    than the newer HA10A which is much less of a known quantity too.

    Rod Speed, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Rod Speed

    Biz Guest

    IMHO, reliable burns is all about NOT burning to cheal and nasty
    media....why would anyone even bother with crap media?

    Biz, Apr 27, 2006
  6. Rod Speed committed to the eternal aether...:

    > Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    > mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >
    > Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    >
    > I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    > cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    > speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    > media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    >
    > So that basically means a brand/model that has
    > decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    > performance with the current firmware too.
    >
    > I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    >
    > What do people like currently, particularly
    > those with the same criteria ?

    I have a sony dru-710a and a poineer (something). The sony is very noisy
    when spinning, the poineer is much quieter (but still not quiet).

    Damien McBain, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Biz <> wrote

    > IMHO, reliable burns is all about NOT burning to cheal and nasty
    > media....why would anyone even bother with crap media?

    I didnt mean it like that. I meant that I want to be able to buy
    the decent but cheap media and not have to fart around with
    a burner thats fussy about the media it will burn reliably.

    Rod Speed, Apr 27, 2006
  8. Rod Speed

    ShazWozza Guest

    Ian Ozenthroat wrote:

    > LG GSA 4167
    > Even does DVDRAM

    Second that. Use one for backups onto DVD+RW media. Utterly reliable so
    far.

    ShazWozza, Apr 27, 2006
  9. Rod Speed

    Peter Guest

    >> IMHO, reliable burns is all about NOT burning to cheal and nasty
    >> media....why would anyone even bother with crap media?

    > I didnt mean it like that. I meant that I want to be able to buy
    > the decent but cheap media and not have to fart around with
    > a burner thats fussy about the media it will burn reliably.

    That is a problem for me. Whenever I find a decent and cheap media, it
    becomes nasty on a next purchase of the same brand, a few months later. I
    guess, it wasn't decent enough...

    Peter, Apr 27, 2006
  10. Rod Speed

    Justin Guest

    Peter wrote on [Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:30:46 -0400]:
    >>> IMHO, reliable burns is all about NOT burning to cheal and nasty
    >>> media....why would anyone even bother with crap media?

    >> I didnt mean it like that. I meant that I want to be able to buy
    >> the decent but cheap media and not have to fart around with
    >> a burner thats fussy about the media it will burn reliably.

    > That is a problem for me. Whenever I find a decent and cheap media, it
    > becomes nasty on a next purchase of the same brand, a few months later. I
    > guess, it wasn't decent enough...

    It's not just the brand, but the actual manufacturer. Often the brand
    buys from the manuf. on spec at bulk rates then goes to another when the
    next bid process comes up.

    Justin, Apr 27, 2006
  11. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Peter <> wrote:

    >>> IMHO, reliable burns is all about NOT burning to cheal and nasty
    >>> media....why would anyone even bother with crap media?

    >> I didnt mean it like that. I meant that I want to be able to buy
    >> the decent but cheap media and not have to fart around with
    >> a burner thats fussy about the media it will burn reliably.

    > That is a problem for me. Whenever I find a decent and cheap media, it
    > becomes nasty on a next purchase of the same brand, a few months later. I
    > guess, it wasn't decent enough...

    Havent found that myself. Just one purchase wasnt
    that great in the Pioneer 109, failed to burn reliably
    at the outer edge. All the rest have been fine.

    I did get the 109 because it had a reputation
    for burning almost anything fine tho.

    Rod Speed, Apr 27, 2006
  12. In article <>, Rod Speed
    <> wrote:

    > Havent found that myself. Just one purchase wasnt
    > that great in the Pioneer 109, failed to burn reliably
    > at the outer edge. All the rest have been fine.
    >
    > I did get the 109 because it had a reputation
    > for burning almost anything fine tho.

    The Pioneer drives *are* really good -- I think you just got some real
    crap media that would have been unreliable in any burner.

    Barry McCockiner, Apr 27, 2006
  13. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Barry McCockiner <> wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote

    >> Havent found that myself. Just one purchase wasnt
    >> that great in the Pioneer 109, failed to burn reliably
    >> at the outer edge. All the rest have been fine.

    >> I did get the 109 because it had a reputation
    >> for burning almost anything fine tho.

    > The Pioneer drives *are* really good -- I think you just got some
    > real crap media that would have been unreliable in any burner.

    Yeah, it was from one of those travelling market operations
    and plenty of other said that their DVDs were hopeless.

    Rod Speed, Apr 27, 2006
  14. Rod Speed

    Groucho Guest

    "Barry McCockiner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Rod Speed
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Havent found that myself. Just one purchase wasnt
    >> that great in the Pioneer 109, failed to burn reliably
    >> at the outer edge. All the rest have been fine.
    >>
    >> I did get the 109 because it had a reputation
    >> for burning almost anything fine tho.

    > The Pioneer drives *are* really good -- I think you just got some real
    > crap media that would have been unreliable in any burner.

    By who's criteria ? Yours? The 109 was fine but the 110 was crap, with well
    documented unresolved problems as far as burning a lot of 16x media at 16x.
    The 111 is too new and firmware still immature.

    Groucho, Apr 27, 2006
  15. Rod Speed

    Groucho Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    > mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >
    > Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.

    Yes, For a variety of reasons. I've found it very useful particularly when
    you get a disc that's difficult to read in one drive it often can be read in
    another.

    > I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    > cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    > speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    > media without having to fart around doing test burns.

    Sounds like you need a burner that doesn't totally rely on writing strategys
    in firmware. Some drives such as BenQ have a learning mode for both known
    and unknown media. After a few discs have been burned and learned you'll get
    best possible writing strategy. Comes in very handy to get the best out of
    mediocre media.

    > So that basically means a brand/model that has
    > decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    > performance with the current firmware too.

    > I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.

    > What do people like currently, particularly
    > those with the same criteria ?

    BenQ 1640 or 1650 would be my recommendation. It will complement the 109
    very well. Better with +R media than the P109. Learning ability to improve
    write quality. Very well respected drives amongst enthusiasts.

    The LG 4167 is not as good as the previous 4163B

    Check out forums at www.cdfreaks.com

    Groucho, Apr 27, 2006
  16. Rod Speed

    Odie Guest

    Ian Ozenthroat wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    > > Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    > > mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    > >
    > > Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    > >
    > > I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    > > cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    > > speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    > > media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    > >
    > > So that basically means a brand/model that has
    > > decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    > > performance with the current firmware too.
    > >
    > > I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    > >
    > > What do people like currently, particularly
    > > those with the same criteria ?
    > >

    > LG GSA 4167
    > Even does DVDRAM

    Agreed. I have a spread including Pioneer, Sony, NEC - the LG is by far
    the best.

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

    Odie, Apr 27, 2006
  17. Rod Speed

    Saus29 Guest

    the NEC is best

    Saus29, Apr 27, 2006
  18. Rod Speed

    Groucho Guest

    "Saus29" <> wrote in message
    > the NEC is best

    I also have an NEC 3520A amongst the various burners I have. Good burner but
    official firmware updates are too few and infrequent IMO. Have to use
    modified firmware to get rid of rip lock and also allow auto bitsetting of
    +R media and then it's a great burner.
    A positive though is NEC are fairly neutral with generally good support for
    both dash/- and + plus media. It's also an excellent reader and can often
    read badly scratched discs my other burners fail to read.

    Groucho, Apr 27, 2006
  19. Rod Speed

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 06:52:50 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    <> wrote:

    >Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    >mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >
    >Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    >
    >I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    >cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    >speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    >media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    >
    >So that basically means a brand/model that has
    >decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    >performance with the current firmware too.
    >
    >I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    >
    >What do people like currently, particularly
    >those with the same criteria ?

    BenQ DW1650 gets good reviews.

    http://66.161.92.167/NewProducts/product.cfm?product=14

    GraB, Apr 27, 2006
  20. Rod Speed

    Swampfox Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at adding another one to my current Pioneer 109,
    > mainly so I have one in each of the main PCs.
    >
    > Makes sense to have more than one brand/model.
    >
    > I only care about what will burn almost any media, even
    > cheap and nasty media. I dont care much about burn
    > speeds, what I care about is a reliable burn on any
    > media without having to fart around doing test burns.
    >
    > So that basically means a brand/model that has
    > decent firmware support into the future, and decent
    > performance with the current firmware too.
    >
    > I mostly burn RWs, but do care about the R performance too.
    >
    > What do people like currently, particularly
    > those with the same criteria ?

    I have a LiteOn here, had a couple of Pioneers previously, and they've all
    been good but the LiteOn seems a little better than the Pioneers reliability
    wise and it's also better at reading damaged DVD/CD's.
    I fitted a Gigabyte burner for a friend and it's still rocking along two
    years and over 1500 DVD's later.
    Also I only use Tayo Yuiden media, at 65c each I don't know why you'd bother
    with cheap shit, 65c is still a very cheap movie.

    Swampfox, Apr 27, 2006