Recommendations: Easy to use Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zeebop, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. zeebop

    zeebop Guest

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of getting my Dad a digital camera for Christmas, but am
    wondering which to get.

    I really want an easy to use camera, with a menu system that is easy
    to understand.

    I like the look of this camera, but am unsure if it is straightforward
    to use. http://tinyurl.com/49jux or http://tinyurl.com/7yptw
    Looking at around £200 ($370) budget.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks

    zeebop

    zeebop, Dec 11, 2004

  2. zeebop

    cc0112453 Guest

    I just bought the Sony DSC-W1 for my son and although it wasn't my first
    choice, I believe it is the perfect camera for him. I'm a bit of a
    photographer, he just wants good pictures of his friends and something that
    doesn't get in the way when traveling. The DSC-W1 does that and more. The
    thing that he likes about the most is the larger viewing screen. Really a
    hit at parties and great for reviewing and showing images. You could save a
    bit and go for something in the 3 mega pixel range. 3mp is really a lot of
    camera and you can get the Canon PowerShot A75
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/41081/art/canon/powershot-a75.html A great
    little camera that is simple to use, feels nice in the hand and takes great
    pictures. Really no reason to spend more unless you just want to.

    cc0112453, Dec 11, 2004

  3. zeebop

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "zeebop" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of getting my Dad a digital camera for Christmas, but am
    > wondering which to get.
    >
    > I really want an easy to use camera, with a menu system that is easy
    > to understand.

    Paradoxically perhaps (or perhaps not), the cheaper cameras may
    be easier to use than the more expensive ones that have lots of
    extra options and controls that your Dad might never use.

    Don't know if they sell Kodaks in the UK, but Kodak has been a
    leader in simple to use technology, usually accompanied by simple
    to use software.

    If your Dad will only be producing 6x4 prints, 3 megapixels will
    work fine and you can save money by getting a 3 mp camera. I've
    also made acceptable 8x10 prints from my old 3 mp Canon S30.
    They wouldn't pass muster for a professional photographer, but
    seen at arms length, for the usual portraits, family, and vacation
    shots, they were perfectly fine.

    The other responders recommendation of a Canon A75 also
    sounds very good to me, as would a low end camera from
    any of the quality manufacturers. Here in the U.S., a high quality
    3 mp camera can be had for around $150.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Dec 16, 2004