recommendation wanted for ISP's which provide usenet access

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mellowed, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    >>Mike, something got screwed up and my reply to the post tried to go
    out on regular email instead of to the group. I had to start a new post
    to answer your response.<<

    I've been using them for several years, including right now. Set up the
    news server as news.peoplepc.com I'm using Outlook express.

    Further, I don't use their front-end. I go direct using the Windows
    Dialup. I find the local number I want to use, then set up the dial up
    with the user name as

    It really is simple. BTW, I had to go to their support email site to
    get the Usenet info. They don't publish the info.

    Mellowed, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Mellowed

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mellowed wrote:

    > I've been using them for several years, including right now. Set up
    > the news server as news.peoplepc.com I'm using Outlook express.

    There's some misinformation floating around and I've been propagating
    it. I think I saw an EL support person say that peoplepc didn't have
    news. Very interesting.

    news.peoplepc.com = news.east.earthlink.net = 207.69.189.191

    > Further, I don't use their front-end. I go direct using the Windows
    > Dialup. I find the local number I want to use, then set up the dial
    > up with the user name as

    That is some more misinformation I had. From reading the website, you
    would think the frontend is required.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    Mike,

    I ironed out all of the issues during the 30 day free period. I imagine
    that they still have the 30 day trial period. If so, try the
    information provided. It cost nothing. I only use their dialer to get
    the updated local phone numbers. Also, before I retired, I used their
    dialer to find the nodes in different cities.

    I also discovered that their 10,000+ local numbers are not unique to
    Peoplepc. Other ISP's use the same numbers. That is why you must
    identify your isp when logging on with DUN. Further, some numbers have
    a problem sending emails. I had to experiment with different numbers to
    get reliable email service. Interestingly, it only affected outgoing
    email.

    Overall I'm pleased with the service. But, I would be very unhappy if I
    had to use their dialer. What a waste of time that was. I was just
    experimenting with DUN and got lucky.

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    : Mellowed wrote:
    :
[...]
    : --
    : Mike Easter
    :

    Mellowed, Dec 8, 2005

    I just read the most recent post in alt.test at news.peoplepc.com
    (accessed by server name, not by dotted quad) via telnet. Case
    closed. Next case! :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Mellowed wrote:

    > I ironed out all of the issues during the 30 day free period. I
    > imagine that they still have the 30 day trial period. If so,
    > try the information provided. It cost nothing. I only use
    > their dialer to get the updated local phone numbers. Also,
    > before I retired, I used their dialer to find the nodes in
    > different cities.
    >
    > I also discovered that their 10,000+ local numbers are not
    > unique to Peoplepc. Other ISP's use the same numbers. That is
    > why you must identify your isp when logging on with DUN.
    > Further, some numbers have a problem sending emails. I had to
    > experiment with different numbers to get reliable email service.
    > Interestingly, it only affected outgoing email.

    I've been with EL for probably six years. You may not be
    experiencing dialup access numbers that can't do outgoing mail;
    the issue may just be timing. Now and then I'll not be able to
    access their SMTP servers (POP is never a problem), but I never
    phone-number hop; within a few minutes SMTP is available again.
    That points to system issues, not issues with a particular phone
    access number.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 9, 2005