    TIA
    --
    Deet
    deet, Dec 8, 2005

  2. deet

    Mellowed Guest

    You can browse thru this list
    http://www.freedomlist.com/find.php3?country=166

    I happen to use Peoplepc www.peoplepc.com and it supports 25,000 groups.
    Maybe they have a local number in your area.

    Your connection speed is highly dependent on your modem and phone line.
    Maybe one or both has a cold.

    <deet> wrote in message news:4399a449.6279025@localhost...
    : I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but they
    : dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP without Usenet?
    : I signed up with a new ISP recommended by Epinions and it was fine at
    : first, then it slowed down to 24000 bps. Their Support Dept. has
    : given me several different reasons why I can connect at the usual
    : 56K intermittently, but mostly at 24,000bps
    :
    : My operating system is Win 98 SE , my browser is Firefox.
    :
    : TIA
    : --
    : Deet
    Mellowed, Dec 8, 2005

  3. deet

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mellowed wrote:

    > I happen to use Peoplepc www.peoplepc.com and it supports 25,000
    > groups. Maybe they have a local number in your area.

    That's 'funny'. I had heard that peoplepc didn't provide any news --
    that they were a cheaper little sister to EL and that the major
    differences were that peoplepc required that you use the required
    peoplepc frontend and with EL the TotalAccess frontend was optional --
    and that EL provided news, such as it was, and that peoplepc didn't.

    I looked all over peoplepc's site and they didn't say anything about
    news or any newsserver's name.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 8, 2005
  4. deet

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mellowed wrote:
    >
    >> I happen to use Peoplepc www.peoplepc.com and it supports 25,000
    >> groups. Maybe they have a local number in your area.

    > I had heard that peoplepc didn't provide any news --

    But, your headers look like you are posting to/thru' an EL newsserver.

    So, apparently peoplepc subscribers have access to EL's newsfarm.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 8, 2005
  5. deet

    Mellowed Guest

    I think that I was using Peoplepc before the Earthlink tieup. I don't
    know for sure.

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    : Mike Easter wrote:
    : > Mellowed wrote:
    : >
    : >> I happen to use Peoplepc www.peoplepc.com and it supports 25,000
    : >> groups. Maybe they have a local number in your area.
    : >
    : > I had heard that peoplepc didn't provide any news --
    :
    : But, your headers look like you are posting to/thru' an EL newsserver.
    :
  6. deet

    Guest Guest

    <deet> wrote in message news:4399a449.6279025@localhost...
    >I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but they
    > dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP without Usenet?
    > I signed up with a new ISP recommended by Epinions and it was fine at
    > first, then it slowed down to 24000 bps. Their Support Dept. has
    > given me several different reasons why I can connect at the usual
    > 56K intermittently, but mostly at 24,000bps
    >
    > My operating system is Win 98 SE , my browser is Firefox.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Deet

    If your ISP doesn't provide NNTP service (or contract the NNTP service) then
    you can always just go subscribe to an NNTP providers, like Teranews or
    Giganews. Since a very small minority of an ISP's users actually say they
    want NNTP service (and less than those actually use it), the ISPs often drop
    or never have NNTP service because it is usually not a good
    revenue-producing service.
    Guest, Dec 8, 2005
  7. deet

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 8, 2005
  8. deet

    Mike Easter Guest

    Vanguard wrote:

    > like Teranews or Giganews.

    I'm having a beef with the 'free' [which isn't actually free but just
    tiny payment] teranews just now. They've developed a newsserver
    configuration which isn't compatible with more newsreaders than they
    like to admit when fielding complaints about it.

    For example, it doesn't work for something like Outlook Express to
    request 'get next xxx headers'.

    I think that if you use the 'real' pay teranews you could use an
    alternate teranews server alt.teranews.com which uses 'normal'
    newsserver software.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 8, 2005
  9. deet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-08, deet <deet> wrote:
    > I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but they
    > dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP without Usenet?
    > I signed up with a new ISP recommended by Epinions and it was fine at
    > first, then it slowed down to 24000 bps. Their Support Dept. has
    > given me several different reasons why I can connect at the usual
    > 56K intermittently, but mostly at 24,000bps
    >
    > My operating system is Win 98 SE , my browser is Firefox.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Deet

    Get your telephone line checked. Tell the phone company you want to use
    it for internet access, and ask if it has been "DACSed" (a way of
    squeezing more than one voice line into a single wire).

    You don't have to rely on your ISP to provide newsgroup access. There are
    public news-servers that can be accessed via any internet connection.
    Most of them require you to register, and pay; the one I use is
    Individual.net which costs 10 Euros per year (and is text-groups-only).
    Some others offer a variety of payment options, including 'block accounts'
    where you pay a single sum for a fixed volume of so many giga-bytes of
    data tranfer - which could be very cheap in the long run, if you have
    little use for 'binaries'.

    <http://www.individual.net/> (text only, 10 Euros per year, very reliable)

    <http://news.aioe.org/> (no registration, free to use, but note
    restrictions - there are a few other 'free' servers).

    <http://www.octanews.com/> (one of several offering 'block accounts')

    alt.free.newsservers (newsgroup for discussing what the name says)

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 9, 2005
  10. deet

    Keith Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:23:32 GMT, deet wrote:

    >I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but they
    >dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP without Usenet?
    >I signed up with a new ISP recommended by Epinions and it was fine at
    >first, then it slowed down to 24000 bps. Their Support Dept. has
    >given me several different reasons why I can connect at the usual
    >56K intermittently, but mostly at 24,000bps
    >
    >My operating system is Win 98 SE , my browser is Firefox.

    You can get http://www.newsguy.com/ for $9.95 a month and they will
    always have newsgroups since they are primarily a NSP.
    Keith, Dec 9, 2005
  11. deet

    Guest Guest

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> like Teranews or Giganews.

    > I'm having a beef with the 'free' [which isn't actually free but just
    > tiny payment] teranews just now. They've developed a newsserver
    > configuration which isn't compatible with more newsreaders than they
    > like to admit when fielding complaints about it.
    >
    > For example, it doesn't work for something like Outlook Express to
    > request 'get next xxx headers'.
    >
    > I think that if you use the 'real' pay teranews you could use an
    > alternate teranews server alt.teranews.com which uses 'normal'
    > newsserver software.

    I've always been leery of the free Teranews service and have heard many
    complaints about it. However, I haven't seen many, if any, posts regarding
    their paid service. Back when I used dial-up, I would deliberately find a
    cheaper local ISP that didn't have NNTP service (and commensurately reduced
    their price) so I could go get a decent paid NNTP provider. With a fat cat
    like my ISP (Comcast), you never get reduced subscription costs for a
    no-frills service. I remember using a local dial-up provider for $4.95
    (long before prices for national dial-up providers dropped to under $20)
    which didn't provide e-mail or newsgroups, and then I had the luxury of
    choice to subscribe to whatever e-mail provider that I wanted and whichever,
    if any, NNTP provider that I wanted.
    Guest, Dec 9, 2005
  12. Keith wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:23:32 GMT, deet wrote:
    >

    >>I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but they
    >>dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP without Usenet?
    >>I signed up with a new ISP recommended by Epinions and it was fine at
    >>first, then it slowed down to 24000 bps. Their Support Dept. has
    >>given me several different reasons why I can connect at the usual
    >>56K intermittently, but mostly at 24,000bps
    >>
    >>My operating system is Win 98 SE , my browser is Firefox.

    > You can get http://www.newsguy.com/ for $9.95 a month and they will
    > always have newsgroups since they are primarily a NSP.

    And from http://www.news.astraweb.com/ you can get 25GB worth of
    downloads spread over however long it takes you to download that much.
    If you keep up with text groups almost exclusively, it'll last for years.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 9, 2005
  13. wrote:

    > I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but
    > they dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP
    > without Usenet?

    An internet service provider, as implied by the name. :) Most of
    them suck as far as their Usenet feeds go, anyway. Generally it's
    best to get a better feed.

    > I signed up with a new ISP recommended by
    > Epinions and it was fine at first, then it slowed down to 24000
    > bps. Their Support Dept. has given me several different
    > reasons why I can connect at the usual 56K intermittently, but
    > mostly at 24,000bps

    As you shop for ISPs, don't even bother looking at whether or not
    they offer Usenet feeds. Get a good ISP. Then get a good news
    feed.

    If you don't need binaries, give http://news.individual.net a shot
    -- 10 Euros a *year* (about 13USD), and very reliable.

    There are others. Some are free. None are expensive.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 9, 2005
  14. Keith wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:23:32 GMT, deet wrote:
    >
    >>I had exellent 56K dialup usenet access through Logicsouth, but
    >>they dropped usenet access a few months ago . What's an ISP
    >>without Usenet? I signed up with a new ISP recommended by
    >>Epinions and it was fine at first, then it slowed down to 24000
    >>bps. Their Support Dept. has given me several different
    >>reasons why I can connect at the usual 56K intermittently, but
    >>mostly at 24,000bps
    >>
    >>My operating system is Win 98 SE , my browser is Firefox.

    > You can get http://www.newsguy.com/ for $9.95 a month and they
    > will
    > always have newsgroups since they are primarily a NSP.

    Actually, they have a plan that only costs $3 and some change per
    month. Full NG access and a couple email addresses. The plan
    you're quoting at $9.95 a month includes their *ISP* service.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 9, 2005
  15. deet

    LOU LABETTI Guest

    We own an ISP and we have our own newsservers.

    http://www.isandc.com

    LOU LABETTI, Dec 9, 2005
  16. deet

    deet Guest

    On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:20:39 +0000, Whiskers <>
    wrote:

    >Get your telephone line checked. Tell the phone company you want to use
    >it for internet access, and ask if it has been "DACSed" (a way of
    >squeezing more than one voice line into a single wire).
    >
    >You don't have to rely on your ISP to provide newsgroup access. There are
    >public news-servers that can be accessed via any internet connection.
    >Most of them require you to register, and pay; the one I use is
    >Individual.net which costs 10 Euros per year (and is text-groups-only).
    >Some others offer a variety of payment options, including 'block accounts'
    >where you pay a single sum for a fixed volume of so many giga-bytes of
    >data tranfer - which could be very cheap in the long run, if you have
    >little use for 'binaries'.
    >
    ><http://www.individual.net/> (text only, 10 Euros per year, very reliable)
    >
    ><http://news.aioe.org/> (no registration, free to use, but note
    >restrictions - there are a few other 'free' servers).
    >
    ><http://www.octanews.com/> (one of several offering 'block accounts')
    >
    >alt.free.newsservers (newsgroup for discussing what the name says)

    Hi Whiskers.

    Thanks for answering my query.

    I had my phone line checked twice and BellSouth says its fine.
    Someone else suggested its my modem at fault. Not so-- if I add the
    "extra setting" which Support gave me I connect immediately, but
    instead of connecting at 56K , I connect at 24.000 bps. Before I go
    online I usually delete the "extra setting" and about once a week, I
    connect at the 56K rate.

    I have agent pro as my news reader. Do you know if Netscape ISP
    accesses the Usenet.
    --
    Deet
    deet, Dec 9, 2005
  17. LOU LABETTI wrote:

    > We own an ISP and we have our own newsservers.

    Thanks, but I don't need one.

    Or did you mean to reply to someone who did?

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 9, 2005
  18. deet

    deet Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:10:50 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Keith wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:23:32 GMT, deet wrote:

    Hi Roger:

    I was hoping to find an ISP with access to newsgroups. Epinions also
    recommended Copper.net Have you heard of that one? Epinions didn't
    like PeoplesPC very well. The 3 most highly recommended was Toast.net
    (which I am now using) Copper.net and NetZero.

    Is Newsguy an ISP or strictly a news server?

    TIA
    __

    Deet
    deet, Dec 9, 2005
  19. deet

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:N47mf.21064$,
    LOU LABETTI spewed forth:
    > We own an ISP and we have our own newsservers.
    >
    > http://www.isandc.com

    Nice list of phone numbers. Mom's house get's crappy speeds - 28800 is
    typically the best. I may drop by her place and see if one of your networks
    can connect faster.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!
    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2005
  20. deet

    DC Guest

    deet wrote:

    > Is Newsguy an ISP or strictly a news server?

    Have you bothered to even read their web site? I didn't think so.

    Man, some people are fricken' lazy.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
    -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-
    DC, Dec 9, 2005