recommendation wanted, for industrial documentation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hfs2, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    My company is getting ready to purchase a new dcam
    for documentation purposes. It has to be good at
    shots of very small devices on printed circuit boards.
    We want to read the ic device markings, show cracks in pwbs
    and so on.
    It's going to get alot of use. Has to be rugged.
    Can have any bazar battery out there since it will not
    leave the shop.

    Camera must be able to download quickly - hope recommended
    camera has a usb port - they seem to work great.

    Anyone have a suggestion here?
    Spending targeted at $500 - $600

    (How much would we have to spend to get an slr with standard
    "35" len capability?)

    (Old camera being replaced is an Olympus D 500L. Nice camera but
    doesn't have enough resolution and the macro is hard to
    work with.)
    hfs2, Jul 27, 2004

  2. hfs2

    Sabineellen Guest

    >My company is getting ready to purchase a new dcam
    >for documentation purposes. It has to be good at
    >shots of very small devices on printed circuit boards.
    >We want to read the ic device markings, show cracks in pwbs
    >and so on.
    >It's going to get alot of use. Has to be rugged.
    >Can have any bazar battery out there since it will not
    >leave the shop.
    >
    >Camera must be able to download quickly - hope recommended
    >camera has a usb port - they seem to work great.
    >
    >Anyone have a suggestion here?
    >Spending targeted at $500 - $600
    >
    >(How much would we have to spend to get an slr with standard
    >"35" len capability?)
    >
    >(Old camera being replaced is an Olympus D 500L. Nice camera but
    >doesn't have enough resolution and the macro is hard to
    >work with.)

    Well. The question is why would you need an SLR with standard 35" lens. You
    need a camera for specific usage, and dSLR is an overkill on price, durability,
    complexity, and finniky stuff such as cleaning the sensor.

    Get the Olympus 5060. It's 5mp, very rugged and durable, and It should be
    within budget. Look at the macro mode in this page

    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5060-samp.html
    Sabineellen, Jul 27, 2004