Recommendation please?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, May 11, 2006.

  1. I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
    was about £250 but I'm looking at £200 - £300. It will replace my
    trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
    1. Compactness.
    2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
    some very satisfactory photos over the years).
    3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
    ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
    4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
    getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.

    If possible (at £300?!) I'd also like features such as

    5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
    6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
    7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
    8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
    Stick.
    9. Anti-vibration

    I know it's largely a matter of personal opinion, but I'd much
    appreciate recommendations please.

    Just to repeat: it has to be from Amazon!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 11, 2006

  2. Terry Pinnell

    silvercelt Guest

    silvercelt, May 11, 2006

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    > I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
    > was about £250 but I'm looking at £200 - £300. It will replace my
    > trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
    > 1. Compactness.
    > 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
    > some very satisfactory photos over the years).
    > 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
    > ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
    > 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
    > getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
    >
    > If possible (at £300?!) I'd also like features such as
    >
    > 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
    > 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
    > 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
    > 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
    > Stick.
    > 9. Anti-vibration
    >
    > I know it's largely a matter of personal opinion, but I'd much
    > appreciate recommendations please.
    >
    > Just to repeat: it has to be from Amazon!

    If you can sacrifice compactness, and can stretch to nearer to £400 then
    you can get some really *excellent* cameras:

    £384.23 Olympus E-300 8Mp SLR with 14-45mm lens (equiv to 28-90mm on a
    35mm film camera)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000667LZA/ref=br_lf_ce_1/026-68
    86345-5388402

    £393.49 Nikon D50 6Mp SLR with 18-55mm Lens (equiv to 27-83mm on a 35mm
    film camera)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009U5VQO/ref=br_lf_ce_4/026-68
    86345-5388402

    Both are really nice cameras with instant picture taking (especially the
    Nikon) and far more light-gathering capability than you'll find on a
    pocket camera, and wider angle than you'll find on almost any pocket
    camera.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, May 11, 2006
  4. Terry Pinnell

    alheim Guest

    The first currency converter site that I found informed me that £250
    is approximately $472.34 in US dollars, and that's enough to get you
    the Sony DSC-W100. It came out about 3 weeks ago, and I'm a big fan of
    it (biased, I know, I'm sorry) - but check out the specs on the
    dpreview site that silvercelt gave you a link to.

    It's got a good flash & even better ISO performance (actually, up to
    1250 ISO). However, it has only a 38mm wide angle and no IS - but IS
    is unnecessary IMHO if you're good at what you do.

    The Panasonic Lumix FX01 is a nice camera as well, with 28mm wide angle
    - also very compact. There's a review of it on dpreview. Anyway, just
    my $0.02 (<- how does one express 'my own two cents' in UK terms??) ..

    -Alheim
    alheim, May 12, 2006
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 09:11:21 -0700, alheim wrote:

    > The Panasonic Lumix FX01 is a nice camera as well, with 28mm wide angle -
    > also very compact. There's a review of it on dpreview. Anyway, just my
    > $0.02 (<- how does one express 'my own two cents' in UK terms??) ..
    >
    > -Alheim

    two penn'orth (two penny worth).
    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply
    Neil Ellwood, May 12, 2006
  6. "alheim" <> wrote:

    >The first currency converter site that I found informed me that £250
    >is approximately $472.34 in US dollars, and that's enough to get you
    >the Sony DSC-W100. It came out about 3 weeks ago, and I'm a big fan of
    >it (biased, I know, I'm sorry) - but check out the specs on the
    >dpreview site that silvercelt gave you a link to.
    >
    >It's got a good flash & even better ISO performance (actually, up to
    >1250 ISO). However, it has only a 38mm wide angle and no IS - but IS
    >is unnecessary IMHO if you're good at what you do.
    >
    >The Panasonic Lumix FX01 is a nice camera as well, with 28mm wide angle
    >- also very compact. There's a review of it on dpreview. Anyway, just
    >my $0.02 (<- how does one express 'my own two cents' in UK terms??) ..

    Thanks Alheim, that looks a candidate. It's 260UKP from Amazon UK.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FGGS5U/ref=nosim/coffeeresearc-21/026-1989339-6469228

    Any more please? I half expected to be buried in replies from
    enthusiastic compact owners!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 12, 2006
  7. On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:57 +0100, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
    > was about £250 but I'm looking at £200 - £300. It will replace my
    > trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
    > 1. Compactness.
    > 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
    > some very satisfactory photos over the years).
    > 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
    > ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
    > 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
    > getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
    >
    > If possible (at £300?!) I'd also like features such as
    >
    > 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
    > 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
    > 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
    > 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
    > Stick.
    > 9. Anti-vibration

    Anti-shake will cut the number of candidates way down, particularly if
    you want a real mechanical anti-vibration system rather then an ISO
    boost or similar. Off-hand, that would be

    Panasonic FX-01 (and its predecesor, the FX-9)
    Canon SD700IS

    I think there's a Sony ultra-compact with a stabilizer, but I'm not
    sure. If you want wide angles, you're better off with the Panasonic, as
    it goes to 28 mm, vs 35 for the Canon.

    See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/ for a comprehensive
    review.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, May 12, 2006
  8. Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:57 +0100, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >> I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
    >> was about £250 but I'm looking at £200 - £300. It will replace my
    >> trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
    >> 1. Compactness.
    >> 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
    >> some very satisfactory photos over the years).
    >> 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
    >> ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
    >> 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
    >> getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
    >>
    >> If possible (at £300?!) I'd also like features such as
    >>
    >> 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
    >> 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
    >> 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
    >> 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
    >> Stick.
    >> 9. Anti-vibration

    >Anti-shake will cut the number of candidates way down, particularly if
    >you want a real mechanical anti-vibration system rather then an ISO
    >boost or similar. Off-hand, that would be
    >
    >Panasonic FX-01 (and its predecesor, the FX-9)
    >Canon SD700IS
    >
    >I think there's a Sony ultra-compact with a stabilizer, but I'm not
    >sure. If you want wide angles, you're better off with the Panasonic, as
    >it goes to 28 mm, vs 35 for the Canon.
    >
    >See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/ for a comprehensive
    >review.

    Thanks, I'll study that one.

    Specs 5-9 were secondary though. There must be several strong
    candidates meeting specs 1-4 recommended by users here?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 13, 2006
  9. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    []
    > Any more please? I half expected to be buried in replies from
    > enthusiastic compact owners!

    As you ask for more, Terry, I would put a mention in for the Panasonic
    range. I have the FZ5 (and my wife has the FZ20), and to me that's a
    compact camera (for what it does) weighing just 326g. Taking speed is no
    longer an issue with this camera, at least for me. If I wanted an even
    more compact version, I would look at the Panasonic TZ1, which has a 35 -
    350mm zoom:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06021405panasonictz1.asp

    For a 28 - 102mm zoom. there is the FX01

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/

    Yes, the wide-angle is just 35mm on the TZ1, but with programs like
    AutoStitch combining two or three pictures for a landscape is now a
    doddle. Panasonic have been making image stabilised cameras for a long
    while now, and they know what they are doing. Their Leica lenses beat the
    competition such as Canon, and I have no hesitation in recommending the
    range (yes, they use SD cards).

    David
    David J Taylor, May 13, 2006
  10. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >[]
    >> Any more please? I half expected to be buried in replies from
    >> enthusiastic compact owners!

    >As you ask for more, Terry, I would put a mention in for the Panasonic
    >range. I have the FZ5 (and my wife has the FZ20), and to me that's a
    >compact camera (for what it does) weighing just 326g. Taking speed is no
    >longer an issue with this camera, at least for me. If I wanted an even
    >more compact version, I would look at the Panasonic TZ1, which has a 35 -
    >350mm zoom:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06021405panasonictz1.asp
    >
    >For a 28 - 102mm zoom. there is the FX01
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/
    >
    >Yes, the wide-angle is just 35mm on the TZ1, but with programs like
    >AutoStitch combining two or three pictures for a landscape is now a
    >doddle. Panasonic have been making image stabilised cameras for a long
    >while now, and they know what they are doing. Their Leica lenses beat the
    >competition such as Canon, and I have no hesitation in recommending the
    >range (yes, they use SD cards).

    Thanks David, I'll look hard at those Panasonics.

    I'm beginning to think seriously about the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200,
    plus a 1 GB memory stick to replace its puny 32 MB.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007NLH84/ref=br_lf_ce_0/203-9917742-8012704

    Ideally though I think I'd like to move to a CF based camera. Not only
    are memory sticks relatively expensive, but they are not as flexible
    for connectivity as CF. On the other hand, as an existing DSC-P1 user,
    I do have a few sticks already...

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 13, 2006
  11. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    []
    > Thanks David, I'll look hard at those Panasonics.
    >
    > I'm beginning to think seriously about the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200,
    > plus a 1 GB memory stick to replace its puny 32 MB.
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007NLH84/ref=br_lf_ce_0/203-9917742-8012704
    >
    > Ideally though I think I'd like to move to a CF based camera. Not only
    > are memory sticks relatively expensive, but they are not as flexible
    > for connectivity as CF. On the other hand, as an existing DSC-P1 user,
    > I do have a few sticks already...

    Personally, it's not a camera I would choose, partially because of the
    brand and certainly because of the memory stick. You can read what DP
    Review thought here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp200/

    Having used both CF and SD cameras, there's not a lot to choose between
    them, but I feel the SD connection may withstand more operations (as it
    has a few flat tabs, rather than a larger number of thin pins).

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, May 13, 2006
  12. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >[]
    >> Thanks David, I'll look hard at those Panasonics.
    >>
    >> I'm beginning to think seriously about the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200,
    >> plus a 1 GB memory stick to replace its puny 32 MB.
    >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007NLH84/ref=br_lf_ce_0/203-9917742-8012704
    >>
    >> Ideally though I think I'd like to move to a CF based camera. Not only
    >> are memory sticks relatively expensive, but they are not as flexible
    >> for connectivity as CF. On the other hand, as an existing DSC-P1 user,
    >> I do have a few sticks already...

    >Personally, it's not a camera I would choose, partially because of the
    >brand and certainly because of the memory stick. You can read what DP
    >Review thought here:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp200/
    >
    >Having used both CF and SD cameras, there's not a lot to choose between
    >them, but I feel the SD connection may withstand more operations (as it
    >has a few flat tabs, rather than a larger number of thin pins).

    Thanks for the follow-up. I'm swayed by your points.

    My son has just recommended the Panasonic/Lumix DMC-TZ1:
    Widescreen; 16:9 still and video mode
    Image stabilization
    Decent optics
    10x Optical zoom (but folded optics to internal to camera)
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06021405panasonictz1.asp

    - but I've yet to check it out thoroughly. At first glance it looks a
    but big and heavy.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 13, 2006
  13. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:57 +0100, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >>> I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
    >>> was about £250 but I'm looking at £200 - £300. It will replace my
    >>> trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
    >>> 1. Compactness.
    >>> 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
    >>> some very satisfactory photos over the years).
    >>> 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
    >>> ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
    >>> 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
    >>> getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
    >>>
    >>> If possible (at £300?!) I'd also like features such as
    >>>
    >>> 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
    >>> 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
    >>> 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
    >>> 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
    >>> Stick.
    >>> 9. Anti-vibration

    >>Anti-shake will cut the number of candidates way down, particularly if
    >>you want a real mechanical anti-vibration system rather then an ISO
    >>boost or similar. Off-hand, that would be
    >>
    >>Panasonic FX-01 (and its predecesor, the FX-9)
    >>Canon SD700IS
    >>
    >>I think there's a Sony ultra-compact with a stabilizer, but I'm not
    >>sure. If you want wide angles, you're better off with the Panasonic, as
    >>it goes to 28 mm, vs 35 for the Canon.
    >>
    >>See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/ for a comprehensive
    >>review.

    >Thanks, I'll study that one.
    >
    >Specs 5-9 were secondary though. There must be several strong
    >candidates meeting specs 1-4 recommended by users here?

    I think all the Panasonics are out - I like a viewfinder!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 14, 2006
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > I think all the Panasonics are out - I like a viewfinder!

    The Panasonic FZ5 and its successor the FZ7 have viewfinders.
    They're not ultra-compacts in that the lens doesn't retract
    into the body, but at ~300gm they're not large cameras either.

    Panasonic cameras are highly praised for their effective
    image stabilization, lens and image quality. They have a
    somewhat high noise level though. Personally, I don't think
    I'll ever buy a camera without image stabilization again.
    , May 14, 2006
  15. wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >

    >> I think all the Panasonics are out - I like a viewfinder!
    >>

    >The Panasonic FZ5 and its successor the FZ7 have viewfinders.
    >They're not ultra-compacts in that the lens doesn't retract
    >into the body, but at ~300gm they're not large cameras either.
    >
    >Panasonic cameras are highly praised for their effective
    >image stabilization, lens and image quality. They have a
    >somewhat high noise level though. Personally, I don't think
    >I'll ever buy a camera without image stabilization again.

    Thanks.

    Now that I've started looking around, it seems that viewfinders are
    becoming the *exception* on compacts! If so, seems a definite
    retrograde step to me ;-(

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, May 15, 2006