Recommendation needed

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by ute, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. ute

    ute Guest

    Hi all,

    I have over 15 years experience in software development,
    including several years of Visual Studio ASP. I lost my
    job in October 2003 and have found it very difficult to
    find a new job.

    It seem that everyone is looking for .Net experience these
    days and I don't have it. So I have been thinking about
    getting an MCSD or MCAD certification in .NET with a
    concentration on C#.

    I have been checking the web and there seem to be all
    kinds of training classes around, some on-line, some with
    instructors, some include exams on-site, some don't. Well
    you know how many there are, I am sure.

    Anyway, here is my question:

    I think I would do best in a class setting, so I am
    looking for a boot camp type class. I really don't care
    where, but Denver, CO or Tampa, FL or San Jose, CA are on
    the top of the list. Can anyone here recommend a school in
    those cities or anywhere else?

    If you don't think these training courses are worth
    anything, please say so and explain why you think so.

    Thanks

    Ute
    ute, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Hi Ute,

    Before you spend money on an expensive class, why not buy a couple of books
    and work through them? My experience with classes is that so much
    information comes your way that much of it doesn't stick. You'd do better
    with some foundation and then you could ask intelligent questions in class.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 11, 2005

  3. ute

    ute Guest

    Cindy,

    I know the limitations of such training classes. I took a similar course
    years ago for C++, so I know that additional studying and most importantly
    practical experience is needed to make the new skills "stick". But, I don;t
    have the time to study on my own for month to get the certification. I would
    loose my house before I am done.

    So I need to get the certification asap, hoping that it will be enough to
    get me interviews and a job that requires .NET.

    I will prepare for the class, and I will "play" with the new skills when I
    am done with the class.

    So, given that, can you recommend a school or 2?

    Thanks

    Ute

    ute, Feb 12, 2005