Recommendation needed

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by ute, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. ute

    ute Guest

    Hi all,

    I have over 15 years experience in software development,
    including several years of Visual Studio ASP. I lost my
    job in October 2003 and have found it very difficult to
    find a new job.

    It seem that everyone is looking for .Net experience these
    days and I don't have it. So I have been thinking about
    getting an MCSD or MCAD certification in .NET with a
    concentration on C#.

    I have been checking the web and there seem to be all
    kinds of training classes around, some on-line, some with
    instructors, some include exams on-site, some don't. Well
    you know how many there are, I am sure.

    Anyway, here is my question:

    I think I would do best in a class setting, so I am
    looking for a boot camp type class. I really don't care
    where, but Denver, CO or Tampa, FL or San Jose, CA are on
    the top of the list. Can anyone here recommend a school in
    those cities or anywhere else?

    If you don't think these training courses are worth
    anything, please say so and explain why you think so.

    Thanks

    Ute
    ute, Feb 11, 2005

  2. ute

    Eric Guest

    ute wrote:

    > If you don't think these training courses are worth
    > anything, please say so and explain why you think so.

    There's a lot of fine classes. Make sure the place is a Microsoft
    partner, and the material should be pretty good.

    The problem is that there's a whole lot of material to cover in only 1
    or 2 weeks. You can't just open your head and dump in data.

    It would help you immensely if you do some self-study before taking a
    class. If you already have some exposure, then you'll understand it
    when the instructor tries to teach you, and you'll be able to ask smart
    questions, which will enhance your learning experience.

    Eric
    Eric, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Thanks for your reply Eric. Please see below

    "Eric" wrote:

    > There's a lot of fine classes. Make sure the place is a Microsoft
    > partner, and the material should be pretty good.

    Can you name some?

    > The problem is that there's a whole lot of material to cover in only 1
    > or 2 weeks. You can't just open your head and dump in data.

    I am aware of that problem. I have had classes like this before.

    > It would help you immensely if you do some self-study before taking a
    > class. If you already have some exposure, then you'll understand it
    > when the instructor tries to teach you, and you'll be able to ask smart
    > questions, which will enhance your learning experience.

    I plan on it. I also plan on "playing" with .NET once I have completed the
    course. I am looking at this as a starting point to learn the new framework
    etc. not as a finish line.

    So, any recommendations for a school?

    Ute

    =?Utf-8?B?dXdpbGxtb3Jl?=, Feb 12, 2005
  4. ute

    Herbert Yu Guest

    Not Eric. But you can start from microsoft.com site:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/training/find/findcourse.mspx

    If you have pretty time... I would do more by myself with some software
    (VISUAL STUDIO .NET 2003 or BETA 2005). I enjoy the time with computer more
    than with instructor. :)

    Hope helps

    Herbert Yu

    Herbert Yu, Feb 14, 2005
  5. ute

    Eric Guest

    uwillmore wrote:

    > So, any recommendations for a school?

    Anything offered by Wintellect would be my first choice, assuming you
    can afford it:

    http://www.wintellect.com/training/

    I also like DevelopMentor:

    http://www.develop.com

    Joe Mayo is great (author of C# Unleashed)

    http://www.mayosoftware.com/Training.htm

    There are a *LOT* of other training companies, but these are well known
    and very good.

    App Dev has good CDROM/DVD training - a little expensive, but first
    rate:

    http://www.appdev.com

    Having given you this great list, I have to qualify it by saying this
    is not the same type of training offered by most MCSD boot camps. These
    companies will teach you useful information, but they don't cram
    specifically to the certification agenda. I don't know much about the
    boot camps, but I've met some people who used them and they didn't seem
    to retain much after they passed their tests. Your milage may vary.

    Eric
    Eric, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Thank you Eric and Herbert. That was very helpful.

    Ute

    =?Utf-8?B?dXRl?=, Feb 22, 2005