    Regards,

    Ben

    , Jun 9, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > In terms of the storage medium, I am aware of the idea of using
    > multiple 256/12MB CF cards for redundancy, fail-over, etc.,

    Should read 512MB...or even multiple 1G cards, whatever.

    > My application will be landscapes, general still-life compositions,
    > some snapshots, and maybe some sports down the line. Thanks for your
    > help.

    Will alternate between RAW and JPG to start out with - as I learn and
    become more competent in the post-processing workflow, I will lean more
    heavily towards RAW.

    Regards again,

    Ben

    , Jun 9, 2005

  3. Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > In terms of the storage medium, I am aware of the idea of using
    > multiple 256/12MB CF cards for redundancy, fail-over, etc., and
    > appreciate the concept. However, what are your feelings on using a 2GB
    > microdrive instead? Seems a mechanical drive would be more prone to
    > failure than a CF card, though this is just speculation on my part.

    Good speculation. I've read to many people talking about failed micro drives
    to consider this for myself. When there was NO other option is was OK I
    suppose? Stick with CF cards.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Craig Flory Guest

    Drop a compact flash card and chances are it is still ok. Drop a microdrive
    and you buy a new one.

    Craig Flory

    Craig Flory, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > In terms of the storage medium, I am aware of the idea of using
    > multiple 256/12MB CF cards for redundancy, fail-over, etc., and
    > appreciate the concept. However, what are your feelings on using a 2GB
    > microdrive instead? Seems a mechanical drive would be more prone to
    > failure than a CF card, though this is just speculation on my part. I
    > have the choice in an auction to go with a D70S w/ a 512MB CF card,
    > camera and other stuff for $949 or the same camera and peripherals, but
    > a 2GB microdrive in lieu of the CF card.
    >
    > My application will be landscapes, general still-life compositions,
    > some snapshots, and maybe some sports down the line. Thanks for your
    > help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ben

    There should be no problem with a microdrive, as long as you leave it in
    the camera for protection as much as possible.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Hannah Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In terms of the storage medium, I am aware of the idea of using
    > multiple 256/12MB CF cards for redundancy, fail-over, etc., and
    > appreciate the concept. However, what are your feelings on using a 2GB
    > microdrive instead? Seems a mechanical drive would be more prone to

    Avoid microdrives. Along that road lies the heartache of lost pictures.
    Stick with the no-moving-parts concept.
    H.

    Hannah, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Old Bugger Guest

    On 9 Jun 2005 08:32:10 -0700, wrote:

    >In terms of the storage medium, I am aware of the idea of using
    >multiple 256/12MB CF cards for redundancy, fail-over, etc., and
    >appreciate the concept. However, what are your feelings on using a 2GB
    >microdrive instead? Seems a mechanical drive would be more prone to
    >failure than a CF card, though this is just speculation on my part. I
    >have the choice in an auction to go with a D70S w/ a 512MB CF card,
    >camera and other stuff for $949 or the same camera and peripherals, but
    >a 2GB microdrive in lieu of the CF card.
    >
    >My application will be landscapes, general still-life compositions,
    >some snapshots, and maybe some sports down the line. Thanks for your
    >help.

    Ask yourself how many photos you are willing to lose if you lose a card/drive?

    Old Bugger, Jun 9, 2005
  8. Guest

    Old Bugger wrote:

    > Ask yourself how many photos you are willing to lose if you lose a card/drive?

    Ideally none. Thus the question - however it looks like the consensus
    is a CF card in the camera and a back up or two in the bag.

    Regards,

    Ben

    , Jun 9, 2005
  9. TAFKAB Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Old Bugger wrote:
    >
    >> Ask yourself how many photos you are willing to lose if you lose a
    >> card/drive?

    > Ideally none. Thus the question - however it looks like the consensus
    > is a CF card in the camera and a back up or two in the bag.

    Sort of. I use 2 2G CF cards to minimize card swapping, and store them in a
    hard case when not in use. CF cards are relatively cheap, very durable, and
    plenty fast enough. Don't cheap out on the storage medium, it's too damned
    critical. Also, it is true that using multiple smaller CF cards will lessen
    the damage if you lose or damage a card. But, the greater the number of
    cards the greater the chance for a single failure.

    TAFKAB, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Guest

    TAFKAB wrote:
    > > Ideally none. Thus the question - however it looks like the consensus
    > > is a CF card in the camera and a back up or two in the bag.

    > Sort of. I use 2 2G CF cards to minimize card swapping, and store them in a
    > hard case when not in use. CF cards are relatively cheap, very durable, and
    > plenty fast enough. Don't cheap out on the storage medium, it's too damned
    > critical. Also, it is true that using multiple smaller CF cards will lessen
    > the damage if you lose or damage a card. But, the greater the number of
    > cards the greater the chance for a single failure.

    Well, it's risky either way. I understand the more cards you mix in,
    the greater the likelihood of something going wrong. Conversely, if
    you have a ton of shots on one big 'un and it craps out...there ya' go.
    Anyway, I think I'm going to go with three cards, 512MB each. Thanks
    for all of the suggestions.

    Regards,

    Ben

    , Jun 10, 2005
  11. Tony Hwang Guest

    wrote:

    > Old Bugger wrote:
    >

    >>Ask yourself how many photos you are willing to lose if you lose a card/drive?

    > Ideally none. Thus the question - however it looks like the consensus
    > is a CF card in the camera and a back up or two in the bag.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ben

    Hi,
    Case of putting all the eggs in one basket.
    I'd never do that. Same on my PC, I have multiple smaller hard drives
    than one big monster size one.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Jun 10, 2005
  12. TAFKAB wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Old Bugger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ask yourself how many photos you are willing to lose if you lose a
    >>> card/drive?

    >> Ideally none. Thus the question - however it looks like the
    >> consensus is a CF card in the camera and a back up or two in the bag.

    > Sort of. I use 2 2G CF cards to minimize card swapping, and store
    > them in a hard case when not in use. CF cards are relatively cheap,
    > very durable, and plenty fast enough. Don't cheap out on the storage
    > medium, it's too damned critical. Also, it is true that using
    > multiple smaller CF cards will lessen the damage if you lose or
    > damage a card. But, the greater the number of cards the greater the
    > chance for a single failure.

    And more opportunities to drop 'em during changes.

    I have two 4GB Microdrives for my KM 7D, so far no troubles at all in
    seven months of use. Knock on bobhead...

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Harrington, Jun 10, 2005
  13. Pete D Guest

    > Will alternate between RAW and JPG to start out with - as I learn and
    > become more competent in the post-processing workflow, I will lean more
    > heavily towards RAW.

    Why? You may not need to, it really depends on what you are doing. Remember
    every RAW photo will need to be converted before you print or give it to
    someone else. Sometimes jpeg's are exactly what you want straight from the
    camera.

    Cheers.

    Pete D

    Pete D, Jun 10, 2005
  14. Guest

    Another point : on a CF, some (not all!) damages can be recovered with
    inexpensive software such as GetDataBack (or many others, this one
    worked well for me).

    On a ┬ÁD, as you get more chances of a mechanical failure, you got more
    risk to stay there with only your eyes to cry ;o(.

    Greetings from France
    Nicolas

    , Jun 10, 2005