recommendation for software needed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atreju, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Hello,

    I have to repartition a drive with Windows XP Pro on it.
    I used to use Partition Magic but after a recent near-disaster which
    required me to completely refurbish someone's computer, luckily I was
    able to salvage the data, I'm not interested in touching that software
    anymore.

    What I find online doing search after search is many products that
    purport to do all the things I need to do. After the trouble with
    Partition Magic, I wanted to make sure that something will work - I
    don't want to commit to buying until I see the results. Problem is all
    the commercial products simply show you what "would" be able to be
    done - all well and nice in theory but that's not enough for me to buy
    a product. I need to see results to make a realistic evaluation.

    Here I will openly admit that I've downloaded bootleg copies of
    various products - I have no intention of stealing anything but I'm
    not going through a hassle of buying software then having to start an
    immediate tech support fiasco - and most programs don't have
    money-back guarantees.

    What I am looking for is something simple to re-partition an existing
    NTFS partition to free up some more space, and it should also have the
    ability to combine existing split partitions.

    Products that have already failed are Partition Magic, and Paragon
    Drive Partition - which I suspect is the exact same product
    re-skinned. It seems too much alike.

    Freeware obviously preferred, or shareware. I'm not looking to spend
    more than $20

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Atreju, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Atreju

    Guest

    Atreju <> wrote:

    >What I find online doing search after search is many products that
    >purport to do all the things I need to do. After the trouble with
    >Partition Magic, I wanted to make sure that something will work - I
    >don't want to commit to buying until I see the results. Problem is all
    >the commercial products simply show you what "would" be able to be
    >done - all well and nice in theory but that's not enough for me to buy
    >a product. I need to see results to make a realistic evaluation.

    Download a version of Hirens_BootCD
    http://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=Hirens
    One with a lot of good comments.

    (Bad comment: Fine until I unzipped it then a Trojan Horse was
    detected and quarantined!)

    Use www.utorrent.com as your torrent client.
    (Install Utorrent, download the tracker, double click on the tracker
    to start the download)

    Burn the ISO to a CD and boot up with it. You will boot into a dos
    menu.

    Test out the programs, purchase the one(s) that meet your needs.

    FWIW I've used Partition Magic with no problems...
    --
    Superstar
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zc3C4zDdOXk

    , Mar 6, 2007

  3. Atreju

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:17:31 -0500, Atreju wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have to repartition a drive with Windows XP Pro on it.
    >I used to use Partition Magic but after a recent near-disaster which
    >required me to completely refurbish someone's computer, luckily I was
    >able to salvage the data, I'm not interested in touching that software
    >anymore.
    >
    >What I find online doing search after search is many products that
    >purport to do all the things I need to do. After the trouble with

    So you wouldnt't care to check some of the recent posts in 24HSHD

    Mentioning - Acronis, Paragon , gparted for starters. A post in the last
    3 days had another tool was freeware.

    >What I am looking for is something simple to re-partition an existing
    >NTFS partition to free up some more space, and it should also have the
    >ability to combine existing split partitions.
    >
    >Products that have already failed are Partition Magic, and Paragon
    >Drive Partition - which I suspect is the exact same product

    Point this out to thier tech support then.

    Both PM not used it for a while, and Paragon is fine as well.

    Me

    why?, Mar 6, 2007