    get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a copy before it
    won't play at all.

    Thanks,
    Joe J, Jul 20, 2011

  2. Joe J

    VanguardLH Guest

    Joe J wrote:

    > Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97 cd has
    > a couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking about 3 tries to
    > get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a copy before it
    > won't play at all.

    Ask folks in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup on their suggestions for a
    CD/DVD burner program, or you could spend just 10 minutes doing your own
    Google search.
    VanguardLH, Jul 20, 2011

  3. Joe J

    Paul Guest

    Joe J wrote:
    > Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97 cd
    > has a couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking about 3
    > tries to get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a
    > copy before it won't play at all.
    >
    > Thanks,

    This comes in a free and a Pro version (payware).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobuster

    This is the first page I could find, which mentions what Pro might do.
    I was hoping for a comparison page.

    http://www.isobuster.com/help.php?help=20

    "PRO functionality unlocks high end data recovery from UDF CDs
    (And Image Files).

    UDF is the File System used by Packet Write Applications such
    as Direct CD, InCD, Packet CD, DLA, ... .

    UDF is also used on DVD and the occasional normal CD (next
    to other File Systems)

    UDF is the preferred File System to be used with Mount Rainier."

    So you can play with that, and see if it can output a .ISO file for
    usage in your burner later.

    *******

    As I like to experiment with stuff, I might also be tempted to
    do a block level recovery, like this.

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk

    # first, grab most of the error-free areas in a hurry:
    ./ddrescue -n /dev/old_disk /dev/new_disk rescued.log
    # then try to recover as much of the dicy areas as possible:
    ./ddrescue -r 1 /dev/old_disk /dev/new_disk rescued.log

    Now, the first issue with that would be, whether a destination
    other than /dev/new_disk could be selected. For a first attempt,
    that could be changed to "/dev/null" so the recovered data is
    just thrown away. The purpose of that, would be to see what
    contents the "rescued.log" file got, and how many 2K blocks
    are damaged. If the rescued.log file keeps track of blocks
    that can't be read, then you have a measure of how damaged it is.

    So that's just an idea.

    When I've had corrupted CDs, they were so corrupt, the
    optical drive basically locked up, and it would be pretty
    hard to get anything to execute in that case. (I had a pack
    of media with "bit rot" and all the discs were bad in about
    three months.) There is a narrow window between "my CD has a
    few errors" and "my optical drive won't do anything with the
    media in the tray". I suppose a good utility could beat the
    optical drive into submission (turn off all error correction
    and do raw reads ???), so maybe when something like isobuster
    is running, the optical drive will behave a bit different.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 20, 2011
  4. Joe J

    bambam Guest

    "Joe J" <> wrote in news:j06k6g$uuv$:

    > Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97
    > cd has a couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking
    > about 3 tries to get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to
    > make a copy before it won't play at all.

    ImgBurn
    http://www.imgburn.com/

    --
    'A man's wealth is measured by what he doesn't need.' - H. D. Thoreau
    bambam, Jul 21, 2011
  5. Joe J

    kelly Guest

    kelly, Jul 21, 2011
  6. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Joe J wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97 cd
    >> has
    >> a couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking about 3 tries
    >> get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a copy before
    >> it
    >> won't play at all.

    > Ask folks in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup on their suggestions for a
    > CD/DVD burner program, or you could spend just 10 minutes doing your own
    > Google search.

    Everyone claims theirs is best, that's why I was asking for a
    recommendation.
    Joe J, Jul 21, 2011
  7. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Joe J wrote:
    >> Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97 cd
    >> has a couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking about 3
    >> tries to get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a
    >> copy before it won't play at all.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > This comes in a free and a Pro version (payware).
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobuster
    >
    > This is the first page I could find, which mentions what Pro might do.
    > I was hoping for a comparison page.
    >
    > http://www.isobuster.com/help.php?help=20
    >
    > "PRO functionality unlocks high end data recovery from UDF CDs
    > (And Image Files).
    >
    > UDF is the File System used by Packet Write Applications such
    > as Direct CD, InCD, Packet CD, DLA, ... .
    >
    > UDF is also used on DVD and the occasional normal CD (next
    > to other File Systems)
    >
    > UDF is the preferred File System to be used with Mount Rainier."
    >
    > So you can play with that, and see if it can output a .ISO file for
    > usage in your burner later.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > As I like to experiment with stuff, I might also be tempted to
    > do a block level recovery, like this.
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
    >
    > # first, grab most of the error-free areas in a hurry:
    > ./ddrescue -n /dev/old_disk /dev/new_disk rescued.log
    > # then try to recover as much of the dicy areas as possible:
    > ./ddrescue -r 1 /dev/old_disk /dev/new_disk rescued.log
    >
    > Now, the first issue with that would be, whether a destination
    > other than /dev/new_disk could be selected. For a first attempt,
    > that could be changed to "/dev/null" so the recovered data is
    > just thrown away. The purpose of that, would be to see what
    > contents the "rescued.log" file got, and how many 2K blocks
    > are damaged. If the rescued.log file keeps track of blocks
    > that can't be read, then you have a measure of how damaged it is.
    >
    > So that's just an idea.
    >
    > When I've had corrupted CDs, they were so corrupt, the
    > optical drive basically locked up, and it would be pretty
    > hard to get anything to execute in that case. (I had a pack
    > of media with "bit rot" and all the discs were bad in about
    > three months.) There is a narrow window between "my CD has a
    > few errors" and "my optical drive won't do anything with the
    > media in the tray". I suppose a good utility could beat the
    > optical drive into submission (turn off all error correction
    > and do raw reads ???), so maybe when something like isobuster
    > is running, the optical drive will behave a bit different.
    >
    > Paul

    As always, thanks Paul!
    Joe J, Jul 21, 2011
  8. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > "Joe J" <> wrote in news:j06k6g$uuv$:
    >
    >> Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97
    >> cd has a couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking
    >> about 3 tries to get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to
    >> make a copy before it won't play at all.

    > ImgBurn
    > http://www.imgburn.com/
    >
    > --
    > 'A man's wealth is measured by what he doesn't need.' - H. D. Thoreau

    Thanks!
    Joe J, Jul 21, 2011
  9. Joe J banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier? My Office 97 cd has a
    > couple of scratches they are giving me fits. It's taking about 3 tries to
    > get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a copy before it
    > won't play at all.
    >
    > Thanks,

    ImgBurn is rated high for making disc copies and ISO copies of disks
    which can then be burned to CD. In fact, there are several "CD
    Burners" out there that actually use ImgBurn to do it dirty work, which
    always makes me wonder why bother with this program in the first place.
    Img Burn is carried by nearly any freeware site or link to its home
    at:

    http://www.imgburn.com/

    You can check through the dozens of other programs available on
    www.freewarefiles.com
    www.freewarehome.com
    http://download.cnet.com

    or any other freeware site you like.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')
    James D Andrews, Jul 21, 2011
  10. Joe J

    kelly Guest

    On Jul 20, 3:11 pm, "Joe J" <> wrote:
    > Anybody have a recommendation for free data cd copier?  My Office 97 cdhas
    > a couple of scratches they are giving me fits.  It's taking about 3 tries to
    > get it to work all the way through so I was hoping to make a copy before it
    > won't play at all.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Removes scratches. Software can't do that. :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=6585569889&ref=pd_sl_2mw9someqy_b
    kelly, Jul 22, 2011