    voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who’s also on VOIP.
    Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    Thanks
    Allan, Dec 11, 2013

  2. Allan

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:45:45 +0000, Allan <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who’s also on VOIP.
    >Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >Thanks

    Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your own POTS
    phone(s)
    I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's perfectly
    sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an issue.
    A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly two ATAs
    in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of course
    you can use it with DECT handsets.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Dec 11, 2013

  3. R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    > "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    > > various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will plug
    > > straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    > > voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who?s also on VOIP.
    > > Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    > > Thanks

    > Have you already got a recent high end Nokia mobile? Works native over
    > wi-fi.

    Most recent Androids also have built-in SIP, though an app may be necessary
    to enable it. Apps like CSipSimple often have better echo cancellation than
    the default.

    You could buy a simple ATA and plug in a normal landline phone. Some
    examples are the venerable PAP2, SPA2102, SPA3102 and there are some newer
    Linksys/Cisco boxes and others. Also some routers come with builtin ATA.

    Or a ATA with DECT and then a DECT handset. Gigaset has a basic range for
    about £50.

    Have a look round:
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=96
    for examples (I have no experience of them)

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Dec 11, 2013
  4. In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:
    >Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who’s also on VOIP.
    >Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >Thanks

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-gxp1400-p-3329.html

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Dec 12, 2013
  5. Allan

    Woody Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in
    message news:tDy*...
    > R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard
    >> > phone. For
    >> > various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone
    >> > that will plug
    >> > straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something
    >> > like
    >> > voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who?s also on
    >> > VOIP.
    >> > Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >> > Thanks

    >> Have you already got a recent high end Nokia mobile? Works
    >> native over
    >> wi-fi.

    > Most recent Androids also have built-in SIP, though an app may
    > be necessary
    > to enable it. Apps like CSipSimple often have better echo
    > cancellation than
    > the default.
    >
    > You could buy a simple ATA and plug in a normal landline phone.
    > Some
    > examples are the venerable PAP2, SPA2102, SPA3102 and there are
    > some newer
    > Linksys/Cisco boxes and others. Also some routers come with
    > builtin ATA.
    >
    > Or a ATA with DECT and then a DECT handset. Gigaset has a
    > basic range for
    > about £50.
    >
    > Have a look round:
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=96
    > for examples (I have no experience of them)
    >
    > Theo

    +1
    Woody, Dec 12, 2013
  6. Allan

    Woody Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:45:45 +0000, Allan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >>various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >>plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >>voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who's also on VOIP.
    >>Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >>Thanks

    > Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your own POTS
    > phone(s)
    > I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's perfectly
    > sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an issue.
    > A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly two ATAs
    > in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of course
    > you can use it with DECT handsets.
    >

    > --

    I've just loaned mine to my daughter, but isn't it a PAPT2?

    Also it has two ports but for two accounts - you can't use both on the same account.

    If the OP wants an etherent phone he should look on eBay for a Grandstream BT200, such as item 350944608485 which is phone, PSU and cable for £25 with free P&P and a guarantee. The phone incidently can be powered over ethernet if the router is capable of it. I have one, and a normal phone on a SPA2000 ATA both of which work perfectly on theor own accounts.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Dec 12, 2013
  7. Allan

    Graham. Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:27:19 -0000, "Woody" <>
    wrote:

    >"Graham." <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:45:45 +0000, Allan <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >>>various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >>>plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >>>voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who's also on VOIP.
    >>>Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >>>Thanks

    >> Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your own POTS
    >> phone(s)
    >> I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's perfectly
    >> sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an issue.
    >> A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly two ATAs
    >> in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of course
    >> you can use it with DECT handsets.
    >>

    >> --

    >I've just loaned mine to my daughter, but isn't it a PAPT2?
    >
    >Also it has two ports but for two accounts - you can't use both on the same account.
    >
    >If the OP wants an etherent phone he should look on eBay for a Grandstream BT200, such as item 350944608485 which is phone, PSU and cable for £25 with free P&P and a guarantee. The phone incidently can be powered over ethernet if the router is capable of it. I have one, and a normal phone on a SPA2000 ATA both of which work perfectly on theor own accounts.

    PAP2T-NA, the letters at the end vary depending on the exact model.

    I have two,the first one was acquired about 7 years ago and was locked
    to Vonage so I had to re-flash it. I have since bought a second one
    now that they are cheap on Ebay and not locked to a carrier.

    More recently still, I bought an SPA3000 so my Raspberry Pi Asterisk
    system can now boast five extensions, one PSTN line, and countless
    virtual lines.

    In practice three extensions are plenty, so the second PAP2 is not
    used at the moment.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Dec 12, 2013
  8. Allan

    Woody Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:27:19 -0000, "Woody"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Graham." <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:45:45 +0000, Allan
    >>> <>

    >>> Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your
    >>> own POTS
    >>> phone(s)
    >>> I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's
    >>> perfectly
    >>> sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an
    >>> issue.
    >>> A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly
    >>> two ATAs
    >>> in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of
    >>> course
    >>> you can use it with DECT handsets.
    >>>

    >>> --

    >>I've just loaned mine to my daughter, but isn't it a PAPT2?
    >>
    >>Also it has two ports but for two accounts - you can't use both
    >>on the same account.
    >>
    >>If the OP wants an etherent phone he should look on eBay for a
    >>Grandstream BT200, such as item 350944608485 which is phone,
    >>PSU and cable for £25 with free P&P and a guarantee. The phone
    >>incidently can be powered over ethernet if the router is
    >>capable of it. I have one, and a normal phone on a SPA2000 ATA
    >>both of which work perfectly on theor own accounts.

    > PAP2T-NA, the letters at the end vary depending on the exact
    > model.
    >
    > I have two,the first one was acquired about 7 years ago and was
    > locked
    > to Vonage so I had to re-flash it. I have since bought a second
    > one
    > now that they are cheap on Ebay and not locked to a carrier.
    >
    > More recently still, I bought an SPA3000 so my Raspberry Pi
    > Asterisk
    > system can now boast five extensions, one PSTN line, and
    > countless
    > virtual lines.
    >
    > In practice three extensions are plenty, so the second PAP2 is
    > not
    > used at the moment.

    Glad you reminded me - I've got three Vonage ATA's that I got for
    pence when Expensive World were selling them off and have
    successfully unlocked them.

    Woody, Dec 12, 2013
  9. Per Allan:
    >Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who’s also on VOIP.
    >Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.

    I use an app called Bria on my Android devices - in connection with a
    VOIP service called CallCentric.

    For my hardwired phones, there's a LinkSys SPS3102 plugged into my
    router with the POTS line coming into one side and the house's wireless
    phone line coming into the other side.

    I kind of ignorant of VOIP in general, but it seems to me like you will
    need to sign up with a VOIP provider whatever you do - unless you do
    GoogleTalk or Skype.
    --
    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Dec 12, 2013
  10. Allan

    Woody Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message news:...
    Per Allan:
    >Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who's also on VOIP.
    >Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.

    I use an app called Bria on my Android devices - in connection with a
    VOIP service called CallCentric.

    For my hardwired phones, there's a LinkSys SPS3102 plugged into my
    router with the POTS line coming into one side and the house's wireless
    phone line coming into the other side.

    I kind of ignorant of VOIP in general, but it seems to me like you will
    need to sign up with a VOIP provider whatever you do - unless you do
    GoogleTalk or Skype.
    --

    Can't speak for Googletalk but you certainly have to pay for outgoing calls on Skype.

    I use voip.co.uk - who I have always found excellent - but I think they are now concentrating on the business side. Voipcheap seem to have a good reputation; after a difficult start a few years ago with loading and audio quality issues Sipgate are now also worth considering not least because you get a number on sign-up which you can use free for incoming and Sipgate-Sipgate outgoing calls. You don't have to give any credit card details until such time as you decide you need to make chargeable outgoing calls.

    Woody, Dec 13, 2013
  11. Allan

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:24:44 UTC, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    > IIRC the Gigaset phone allow free calls via some server they operate

    Only to other Gigasets.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville
    Dave Saville, Dec 14, 2013
  12. Allan

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Graham.
    <> scribeth thus
    >On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:45:45 +0000, Allan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >>various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >>plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >>voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who’s also on VOIP.
    >>Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >>Thanks

    >Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your own POTS
    >phone(s)
    >I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's perfectly
    >sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an issue.
    >A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly two ATAs
    >in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of course
    >you can use it with DECT handsets.

    Might be a shade more expensive but give VoIPfone a try they sell the
    VoIP handsets already pre configured so simply plug and talk:)..

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Dec 14, 2013
  13. Allan

    Graham J Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <>, Graham.
    > <> scribeth thus
    >> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:45:45 +0000, Allan <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >>> various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >>> plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >>> voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who’s also on VOIP.
    >>> Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >>> Thanks

    >> Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your own POTS
    >> phone(s)
    >> I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's perfectly
    >> sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an issue.
    >> A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly two ATAs
    >> in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of course
    >> you can use it with DECT handsets.
    >>

    > Might be a shade more expensive but give VoIPfone a try they sell the
    > VoIP handsets already pre configured so simply plug and talk:)..

    I've some experience with VoIPfone ...

    1) Only works reliably with some types of router. For example Vigor
    V2820 is OK but the more modern Vigor V2830 is not. Some sort of
    firmware incompatibity that Voipfone blame on Draytek and Draytek blame
    on Viopfone.

    2) No automated mechanism (such as email) to let you know that the phone
    has become unregistered. I've been asking for this for over a year ....

    --
    Graham J
    Graham J, Dec 14, 2013
  14. Allan

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <52ac7d2e$0$1159$>, Graham J
    <graham@invalid.?> scribeth thus
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <>, Graham.
    >> <> scribeth thus

    >>> Another option you might like to consider is an ATA and your own POTS
    >>> phone(s)
    >>> I'm not trying to talk you out of a desk IP phone, that's perfectly
    >>> sensable too, but an ATA might be cheaper, if that's an issue.
    >>> A Linksys PAP2 can be had for under £20 and it's effectivly two ATAs
    >>> in one box, so it works out at under £10 per channel, and of course
    >>> you can use it with DECT handsets.
    >>>

    >> Might be a shade more expensive but give VoIPfone a try they sell the
    >> VoIP handsets already pre configured so simply plug and talk:)..
    >>

    >I've some experience with VoIPfone ...
    >
    >1) Only works reliably with some types of router. For example Vigor
    >V2820 is OK but the more modern Vigor V2830 is not. Some sort of
    >firmware incompatibity that Voipfone blame on Draytek and Draytek blame
    >on Viopfone.

    Well we use an olde analogue phone system here as I can't be arsed to
    change it but the VoIPfone is via VM thence to a Draytek and that goes
    to a single Cisco phone box and in three years now its been fine:)

    >2) No automated mechanism (such as email) to let you know that the phone
    >has become unregistered. I've been asking for this for over a year ....

    That might be an idea but it just falls over to the mobile which is a
    very good backup . Only done that twice in that time..

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Dec 14, 2013
  15. Allan

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:06:38 UTC, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    > "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:24:44 UTC, "R. Mark Clayton"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> IIRC the Gigaset phone allow free calls via some server they operate

    > > Only to other Gigasets.

    > I thought it would do other full SIP addresses?

    Well yes, sort of, it depends :)

    On which version of the firmware you have. It is very near impossible
    to "dial" 123@1.2.3.4. "Dialing" 1.2.3.4 is not so hard but one
    usually needs the "number @ somewhere" format. I have an old Zyxel ATA
    and that could store such "numbers" in its address book and "dial"
    them - And Gigaset sell them as IP phones - sheesh! :)
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville
    Dave Saville, Dec 15, 2013
  16. Allan

    Guest

    On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 22:45:45 UTC, Allan wrote:
    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic VOIP hard phone. For
    >
    > various reasons, I have a short term need for a VOIP phone that will
    >
    > plug straight into a router (ethernet cable), and use something like
    >
    > voipbuster, to talk to someone the other end who�s also on VOIP.
    >
    > Tips, pointers, manufacturers, sources all welcome.
    >
    > Thanks

    I use an Obitalk 110 which then makes my regular phone VOIP

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU

    only 35 quid...
    , Dec 15, 2013
  17. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    Graham J <graham@invalid> wrote:
    > I've some experience with VoIPfone ...

    > 1) Only works reliably with some types of router. For example Vigor
    > V2820 is OK but the more modern Vigor V2830 is not. Some sort of
    > firmware incompatibity that Voipfone blame on Draytek and Draytek blame
    > on Viopfone.

    Do check that the Vigor's SIP ALG is off. On the two 2830 devices without
    VoIP that I checked here, it was already disabled, so this may not be
    the problem.

    http://www.elantelecom.com/technical-assistance/disable-sip-alg-draytek/

    I suppose that if it's off you could try turning it on and compare
    the results.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Dec 16, 2013
  18. Allan

    Graham J Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:
    > Graham J <graham@invalid> wrote:
    >> I've some experience with VoIPfone ...

    >> 1) Only works reliably with some types of router. For example Vigor
    >> V2820 is OK but the more modern Vigor V2830 is not. Some sort of
    >> firmware incompatibity that Voipfone blame on Draytek and Draytek blame
    >> on Viopfone.

    > Do check that the Vigor's SIP ALG is off. On the two 2830 devices without
    > VoIP that I checked here, it was already disabled, so this may not be
    > the problem.
    >
    > http://www.elantelecom.com/technical-assistance/disable-sip-alg-draytek/
    >
    > I suppose that if it's off you could try turning it on and compare
    > the results.

    This was one of the things I tested before ringing the Voipfone helpdesk ...

    --
    Graham J
    Graham J, Dec 16, 2013
  19. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    Graham J <graham@invalid> wrote:
    > Chris Davies wrote:
    >> Do check that the Vigor's SIP ALG is off

    > This was one of the things I tested before ringing the Voipfone helpdesk ...

    Oh well. Next time I'm in one of our offices I'll see if I can remember
    to test SIP against the 2830 there. Mind you, it'll be Sipgate or Betamax;
    I don't have a Voipfone account to test against.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Dec 16, 2013
  20. Allan

    Graham J Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:
    > Graham J <graham@invalid> wrote:
    >> Chris Davies wrote:
    >>> Do check that the Vigor's SIP ALG is off

    >> This was one of the things I tested before ringing the Voipfone helpdesk ...

    > Oh well. Next time I'm in one of our offices I'll see if I can remember
    > to test SIP against the 2830 there. Mind you, it'll be Sipgate or Betamax;
    > I don't have a Voipfone account to test against.

    I suspect the problem is specific to Voipfone!

    I have a vague recollection that it expected a NAT tunnel to be open
    long after the Vigor had got bored and closed it.

    --
    Graham J
    Graham J, Dec 16, 2013