    located in Wellington.

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson, Aug 1, 2006

  2. On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:07:14 +1200, Tim Lawson
    <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy a DVD player with the capability of playing the PC
    >video formats (XviD,DixX,avi etc), without having to recode them to
    >DVD format.
    >
    > It'd be great if the player could read the files from a flash drive,
    >so I don't have to mess around burning disks.
    >
    >Any suggestions for particular models, and where to get them from? I'm
    >located in Wellington.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Tim Lawson

    I am not sure if they are still available, but a couple of months ago
    Woolworths in Palmerston North sold me an S&V 228 DVD player for $60
    which does all of that, including the flash/hard disk drive USB
    connection (only USB 1.x though, not the faster USB 2.0). It also has
    card slots for digital camera cards. The only things I could find
    wrong with it were:

    1) No remote power on/off - you have to use the button on the DVD
    player.

    2) It will not play files with the extension .mpeg - they have to be
    ..mpg.

    I was not expecting it to play WMV files, and it does not. The
    chipsets that do that are available now, but cost a fair bit more.

    Stephen Worthington, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Tim Lawson

    Martin Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:07:14 +1200, Tim Lawson
    > <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking to buy a DVD player with the capability of playing the PC
    >>video formats (XviD,DixX,avi etc), without having to recode them to
    >>DVD format.
    >>
    >> It'd be great if the player could read the files from a flash drive,
    >>so I don't have to mess around burning disks.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions for particular models, and where to get them from? I'm
    >>located in Wellington.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Tim Lawson

    > I am not sure if they are still available, but a couple of months ago
    > Woolworths in Palmerston North sold me an S&V 228 DVD player for $60
    > which does all of that, including the flash/hard disk drive USB
    > connection (only USB 1.x though, not the faster USB 2.0). It also has
    > card slots for digital camera cards. The only things I could find
    > wrong with it were:
    >
    > 1) No remote power on/off - you have to use the button on the DVD
    > player.
    >
    > 2) It will not play files with the extension .mpeg - they have to be
    > .mpg.
    >
    > I was not expecting it to play WMV files, and it does not. The
    > chipsets that do that are available now, but cost a fair bit more.

    That sounds like this -
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44cfca5e0c82725e2740c0a87f990746/Product/View/G1913

    that I brought from Dick Smith - same issues as above plus:
    - only supports 8.3 filenames so if the divx file is using a long file name
    you only see the first 8 char
    - The USB is slow to bring up the listing of a hard disk that you connect -
    must be fat formatted - doesnt support ntfs

    If anyone knows if there is an updated firmware out there that might address
    some of these issues I'd love to hear about it!!!

    Apart from that it is very good!!! (-;

    Martin, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Tim Lawson

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:07:14 +1200, Tim Lawson
    > <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to buy a DVD player with the capability of playing the PC
    >> video formats (XviD,DixX,avi etc), without having to recode them to
    >> DVD format.
    >>
    >> It'd be great if the player could read the files from a flash drive,
    >> so I don't have to mess around burning disks.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions for particular models, and where to get them from? I'm
    >> located in Wellington.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Tim Lawson

    > I am not sure if they are still available,

    Still available, bought one last week at Woolworths in the Hutt - $69.95

    but a couple of months ago
    > Woolworths in Palmerston North sold me an S&V 228 DVD player for $60
    > which does all of that, including the flash/hard disk drive USB
    > connection (only USB 1.x though, not the faster USB 2.0). It also has
    > card slots for digital camera cards. The only things I could find
    > wrong with it were:
    >
    > 1) No remote power on/off - you have to use the button on the DVD
    > player.
    >
    > 2) It will not play files with the extension .mpeg - they have to be
    > .mpg.

    In some ways I'm a little disappointed with the output quality (but I'm
    stuck using composite out for now and this may be a factor) as I'm
    seeing faint diagonal lines across the screen, and the image definitely
    isn't as good as my old Philips DVD player.

    Playback of video files is a little hit and miss - even some .mpg files
    it will not find audio for, or won't play at all. Plays back dl.tv files
    fine, though :)

    But good value considering the cost, and the WAF is quite high - my
    partner had just got back from overseas with some photos to show, so
    just put the SD card into the slot, and started a slideshow. Great.

    Also cheaper than (but not as versatile as) mediaplayers like the
    MediaGate etc, but this will do fine for now.

    -=rjh=-, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Tim Lawson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote
    > in message news:...
    > > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:07:14 +1200, Tim Lawson
    > > <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm looking to buy a DVD player with the capability of playing
    > > > the PC video formats (XviD,DixX,avi etc), without having to
    > > > recode them to DVD format.
    > > >
    > > > It'd be great if the player could read the files from a flash
    > > > drive, so I don't have to mess around burning disks.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions for particular models, and where to get them
    > > > from? I'm located in Wellington.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > >
    > > > Tim Lawson

    > > I am not sure if they are still available, but a couple of months
    > > ago Woolworths in Palmerston North sold me an S&V 228 DVD player
    > > for $60 which does all of that, including the flash/hard disk drive
    > > USB connection (only USB 1.x though, not the faster USB 2.0). It
    > > also has card slots for digital camera cards. The only things I
    > > could find wrong with it were:
    > >
    > > 1) No remote power on/off - you have to use the button on the DVD
    > > player.
    > >
    > > 2) It will not play files with the extension .mpeg - they have to be
    > > .mpg.
    > >
    > > I was not expecting it to play WMV files, and it does not. The
    > > chipsets that do that are available now, but cost a fair bit more.

    > That sounds like this -
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44cfca5e0c82725e2740c0a87f990746/Product/View/G1913
    >
    > that I brought from Dick Smith - same issues as above plus:
    > - only supports 8.3 filenames so if the divx file is using a long
    > file name you only see the first 8 char
    > - The USB is slow to bring up the listing of a hard disk that you
    > connect - must be fat formatted - doesnt support ntfs
    >
    > If anyone knows if there is an updated firmware out there that might
    > address some of these issues I'd love to hear about it!!!
    >
    > Apart from that it is very good!!! (-;

    I agree, they are good. Sadly mine is relegated to the cupboard as I bought
    a Pioneer 383 and flashed it with Gufiak's firmware as I don't like the DSE
    unit's remote, the lack of an 'off' buton on the remote and the 8.3
    filenames. (If the filenames are in alphabetical or numerical order but the
    'ordering' doesn't start until after the first 8 characters the files are
    all in random order, very annoying). (Also, I basically got the ex-demo 383
    at less than half price as I bought a small LCD TV for the bedroom at the
    same time).

    I could never get mine to recognise a HDD atatched to the USB (the booklet
    doesn't say that it does, I just thought I'd try it, FAT32 of course. Could
    have been a dodgey HDD, it was an old 16GB one).

    As for firmware, I contacted DSE and they contacted their suppliers and
    there is none available currently DSE promised to inform me if/when an
    update becomes avaialble. (Not holding my breath) If they do I'll post here.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Tim Lawson

    Sticky Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    snip

    >> - The USB is slow to bring up the listing of a hard disk that you
    >> connect - must be fat formatted - doesnt support ntfs
    >>
    >> If anyone knows if there is an updated firmware out there that might
    >> address some of these issues I'd love to hear about it!!!
    >>
    >> Apart from that it is very good!!! (-;

    > I agree, they are good. Sadly mine is relegated to the cupboard as I bought
    > a Pioneer 383 and flashed it with Gufiak's firmware as I don't like the DSE
    > unit's remote, the lack of an 'off' buton on the remote and the 8.3
    > filenames. (If the filenames are in alphabetical or numerical order but the
    > 'ordering' doesn't start until after the first 8 characters the files are
    > all in random order, very annoying). (Also, I basically got the ex-demo 383
    > at less than half price as I bought a small LCD TV for the bedroom at the
    > same time).
    >
    > I could never get mine to recognise a HDD atatched to the USB (the booklet
    > doesn't say that it does, I just thought I'd try it, FAT32 of course. Could
    > have been a dodgey HDD, it was an old 16GB one).
    >
    > As for firmware, I contacted DSE and they contacted their suppliers and
    > there is none available currently DSE promised to inform me if/when an
    > update becomes avaialble. (Not holding my breath) If they do I'll post here.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I'm very interested in this. I have a Pioneer 383 which I love but for
    the 8.3 filenames.

    Does the hack you mention fix this?

    (I'm a newbie to flashing DVD players, although I have been flashing
    CD-RW and DVD-RW for years)

    I've found

    http://forum.pioneerdivx.net/dload.htm?action=category&id=10.

    Is this where you download from ? I'm a bit red faced, I can't find the
    actual d/l button.

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Aug 5, 2006
  7. Tim Lawson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sticky wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    > > > - The USB is slow to bring up the listing of a hard disk that you
    > > > connect - must be fat formatted - doesnt support ntfs
    > > >
    > > > If anyone knows if there is an updated firmware out there that
    > > > might address some of these issues I'd love to hear about it!!!
    > > >
    > > > Apart from that it is very good!!! (-;

    > > I agree, they are good. Sadly mine is relegated to the cupboard as
    > > I bought a Pioneer 383 and flashed it with Gufiak's firmware as I
    > > don't like the DSE unit's remote, the lack of an 'off' buton on the
    > > remote and the 8.3 filenames. (If the filenames are in alphabetical
    > > or numerical order but the 'ordering' doesn't start until after the
    > > first 8 characters the files are all in random order, very
    > > annoying). (Also, I basically got the ex-demo 383 at less than half
    > > price as I bought a small LCD TV for the bedroom at the same time).
    > >
    > > I could never get mine to recognise a HDD atatched to the USB (the
    > > booklet doesn't say that it does, I just thought I'd try it, FAT32
    > > of course. Could have been a dodgey HDD, it was an old 16GB one).
    > >
    > > As for firmware, I contacted DSE and they contacted their suppliers
    > > and there is none available currently DSE promised to inform me
    > > if/when an update becomes avaialble. (Not holding my breath) If
    > > they do I'll post here. Cheers,

    > I'm very interested in this. I have a Pioneer 383 which I love but for
    > the 8.3 filenames.
    >
    > Does the hack you mention fix this?

    Oh yeah, and so many other things. I woiuldn't call it a 'hack' though, it's
    an excellent job of reverse-engineered and much improved firmware.

    Check out the changelog:

    - fixed filename/directory displaying in filebrowser (many thx to cHiEsA)
    - displaying first 50 chars of filenames/directories in filebrowser
    - CP1250 chars displayed correctly in filebrowser and on OSD after pressing
    "Display" button
    - fully working volume under '1' and '4' keys on RC (hold these keys longer
    to change volume level) + displaying volume indicator on screen + saving
    volume level on turn off
    - MUTE under '7' key on RC (hold this key longer to on/off MUTE) +
    displaying indicator on screen
    - picture format switching (Letter box, Pan&Scan, 16:9) with '5' key on RC
    (hold this key longer to switch the picture format; works even during movie
    playback)
    - VFD dimmer under '0' key on RC (hold this key longer to change VFD
    brightness)
    - shortened key delays on RC (for 2nd functions and repeatable keys - arrow
    left/right/up/down)
    - removed pioneer logo from screensaver, now it's blank
    - new features in "Audio" menu:
    * Treble Boost
    * Bass Boost
    * Super Bass
    - reorganized "Initial settings" menu
    - new option for digital output - "On / TEST"; This option was hidden and I
    don't know what is the difference between default "On" and this option, but
    if you could check it, then I'll be very thankful
    - new option in "Initial setting" -> "Video Output": "TV Type" (Multisync,
    PAL, NTSC) [restart your player to accept the new setting]
    - new submenu in "Initial settings": "Subtitles", and new options in it:
    * Subtitle colors - changes colors and background of MPEG4 subtitles
    * Subtitle position - changes the position of MPEG4 subtitles [Reload the
    disc (eject it and load again) to accept the changes]
    * IFO/VOB palette - changes the interpretation of VOBSUB (.sub+.idx)
    subtitles palette. For subtitles extracted from DVD use "RGB" palette, and
    for subtitles made by Son2VobSubMod app use the "YUV" option. [You have to
    turn off the movie resume (2 x stop) to accept the changes if you are
    changing it during the movie playback]
    - new feature in "Initial settings" -> "Options": "DVD Fast Start" - turned
    on causes that DVD-Video movies will be played without showing the FBI
    screens, ads, menus, etc. Player will jump directly to the main movie. But
    this feature can cause problems on some DVD-Video discs, in this case you
    should turn it off.
    - changed icons and some colors in the filebrowser
    - actual folder name displayed in white color

    Cool huh? It makes the 383 into a whole new machine.

    > (I'm a newbie to flashing DVD players, although I have been flashing
    > CD-RW and DVD-RW for years)
    >
    > I've found
    >
    > http://forum.pioneerdivx.net/dload.htm?action=category&id=10.
    >
    > Is this where you download from ? I'm a bit red faced, I can't find
    > the actual d/l button.

    It's about 1.25MB. I can email it to you and instructions on how to burn it
    to CD if you like. The good thing is, you can't mess it up, you can always
    correct manner. (I had to send my 383 back to Monaco corp as it wasn't
    multizoned so I flashed it back to the original firmware first and then back
    to Gufiak's when I got it back)

    Would you like me to send it? email me on misfitnz at gmail dot com if you
    would. I'll also include instructions on how to burn the firmware to CD
    correctly.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2006
  8. Tim Lawson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sticky wrote:
    > I'm very interested in this. I have a Pioneer 383 which I love but for
    > the 8.3 filenames.
    >
    > Does the hack you mention fix this?

    Up to 50 characters with Gufiak's firmware, the first 47 (if there are that
    many) then truncated so that the .avi or whatever fits on the end. 47.3, a
    rather huge improvement over 8.3

    > (I'm a newbie to flashing DVD players, although I have been flashing
    > CD-RW and DVD-RW for years)
    >
    > I've found
    >
    > http://forum.pioneerdivx.net/dload.htm?action=category&id=10.
    >
    > Is this where you download from ? I'm a bit red faced, I can't find
    > the actual d/l button.

    Forgot to mention, to download from that site I believe you have to
    register. If you use Ff a bar appears along the top of the window saying "It
    appears you haven't registered, to register click here".

    The version I find works best with the 383 (I've tried a few) is ver.
    1.09.02.00
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2006