    PAP2 now seems expensive in that it seems to have actually increased
    significantly since I purchased mine over 3 years ago. All other
    equipment has had the price plummet, why not this ATA?

    simon, Jan 9, 2009

  2. simon

    Tim Guest

    simon wrote:
    > I've had a PAP2 ATA (unlocked) for quite a few years and it works
    > fine. I'm now looking for a second ATA. While the PAP2 works fine,
    > there are a few extras which I would like:
    > - Ethernet ports so that it can act as a switch
    > - Is there anything available offering more than 2 accounts?
    > - While I like having multiple accounts, I'd very much like the
    > ability to only have to plug in a single analogue phone with ability
    > to handle all the separate accounts.

    Have a look at AVM Fritz box.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 9, 2009

  3. simon

    ßødincµs Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > simon wrote:
    >> I've had a PAP2 ATA (unlocked) for quite a few years and it works
    >> fine. I'm now looking for a second ATA. While the PAP2 works fine,
    >> there are a few extras which I would like:
    >> - Ethernet ports so that it can act as a switch
    >> - Is there anything available offering more than 2 accounts?
    >> - While I like having multiple accounts, I'd very much like the
    >> ability to only have to plug in a single analogue phone with ability
    >> to handle all the separate accounts.

    > Have a look at AVM Fritz box.
    >

    > Tim

    Seconded. FritzBox(es) are sturdy german-build vorschprung durch
    technick little devices that do wonders.

    The latest incarnation, the 7270 is a fantastic all-in-one.
    ADLS2+ modem wireless router, 4 Ethernet ports, two POTS phone ports,
    one ISDN port, one USB port to share a printer and/or a file server
    (also from the 'net through authenticated FTP), can register up to 6
    DECT wireless phones, can manage up to 10 SIP accounts, and route each
    one of them to the phone you prefer (one of the two POTS, any of the
    ISDN phones or one of the DECT handsets), and so much more.

    Couldn't recommend less.

    --
    ßødincµs - The Y2K Druid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    [Linux *is* user friendly.]
    [It's just selective about]
    [ who its friends are. ]

    ßødincµs, Jan 9, 2009
  4. simon

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > misread "switch" for "router"

    Fritzbox has both.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 9, 2009
  5. simon

    mr deo Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Jono wrote:
    > > misread "switch" for "router"
    > >

    > Fritzbox has both.
    >

    > Tim

    :/

    anyyyyhowwww...
    I read somewhere the "new" ones dont work well unless they are connected as
    the xDSL modem?.. any truth to that (from experienced users who know the
    difference between a switch and a router)

    mr deo, Jan 9, 2009
  6. simon

    simon Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:15:18 GMT, ßødincµs said:

    >The latest incarnation, the 7270 is a fantastic all-in-one.
    >ADLS2+ modem wireless router, 4 Ethernet ports, two POTS phone ports,
    >one ISDN port, one USB port to share a printer and/or a file server
    >(also from the 'net through authenticated FTP), can register up to 6
    >DECT wireless phones, can manage up to 10 SIP accounts, and route each
    >one of them to the phone you prefer (one of the two POTS, any of the
    >ISDN phones or one of the DECT handsets), and so much more.

    Where's the recommended place to purchase these? In the past some kit
    similar to this has been locked into the supplier. Obviously I'm not
    interested in any such locked products.

    simon, Jan 9, 2009
  7. simon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    simon <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:15:18 GMT, ßødincµs said:
    :
    : >The latest incarnation, the 7270 is a fantastic all-in-one.
    : >ADLS2+ modem wireless router, 4 Ethernet ports, two POTS phone ports,
    : >one ISDN port, one USB port to share a printer and/or a file server
    : >(also from the 'net through authenticated FTP), can register up to 6
    : >DECT wireless phones, can manage up to 10 SIP accounts, and route
    : >each one of them to the phone you prefer (one of the two POTS, any
    : >of the ISDN phones or one of the DECT handsets), and so much more.
    : >
    : Where's the recommended place to purchase these? In the past some kit
    : similar to this has been locked into the supplier. Obviously I'm not
    : interested in any such locked products.

    Sipgate sell them unlocked.

    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_7270_int._edition

    If the 7270 is a little OTT for you, the 7170 which I currently use has
    three phone ports and 4 ethernet ports. Like all Fritz!Boxes it can
    handle up to 10 SIP accounts. It doesn't handle DECT phones directly but
    you can plug one into one of the phone ports and have it ring for any or
    all accounts.

    Sipgate don't sell the 7170 in the UK but you can get one here:

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7170-p-560.html

    Read my review of it here:

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7170-pri-560.html?reviews_id=10

    Hope this helps,

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 9, 2009
  8. simon

    Tim Guest

    simon wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:15:18 GMT, ßødincµs said:
    >
    >> The latest incarnation, the 7270 is a fantastic all-in-one.
    >> ADLS2+ modem wireless router, 4 Ethernet ports, two POTS phone ports,
    >> one ISDN port, one USB port to share a printer and/or a file server
    >> (also from the 'net through authenticated FTP), can register up to 6
    >> DECT wireless phones, can manage up to 10 SIP accounts, and route each
    >> one of them to the phone you prefer (one of the two POTS, any of the
    >> ISDN phones or one of the DECT handsets), and so much more.
    >>

    > Where's the recommended place to purchase these? In the past some kit
    > similar to this has been locked into the supplier. Obviously I'm not
    > interested in any such locked products.

    <blatant plug>
    ProVu have them in stock, so all their resellers are able to supply them.

    All unlocked.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 12, 2009
  9. simon

    ßødincµs Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > simon wrote:
    >> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:15:18 GMT, ßødincµs said:
    >>
    >>> The latest incarnation, the 7270 is a fantastic all-in-one.
    >>> ADLS2+ modem wireless router, 4 Ethernet ports, two POTS phone ports,
    >>> one ISDN port, one USB port to share a printer and/or a file server
    >>> (also from the 'net through authenticated FTP), can register up to 6
    >>> DECT wireless phones, can manage up to 10 SIP accounts, and route
    >>> each one of them to the phone you prefer (one of the two POTS, any of
    >>> the ISDN phones or one of the DECT handsets), and so much more.
    >>>

    >> Where's the recommended place to purchase these? In the past some kit
    >> similar to this has been locked into the supplier. Obviously I'm not
    >> interested in any such locked products.

    > <blatant plug>
    > ProVu have them in stock, so all their resellers are able to supply them.
    >
    > All unlocked.
    >

    > Tim

    Ahem... <another blatant shameless plug>

    * Ivor, feel free to kick me in the shins... I know it's me who
    recommended the FritzBox first, it sounds like a cunning marketing plan.
    But I believe most of us here would happily recommend AVM products.
    I swear, it was not my intention to pick up a sale! *

    If you are interested, I can sell you one.
    FritzBox 7270, RRP £ 169 + VAT + P&P
    FritzBox 7170, RRP £ 120 + VAT + P&P

    Ping me if you're interested.
    --
    ßødincµs - The Y2K Druid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ßødincµs, Jan 12, 2009
  10. simon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    ßødincµs <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : * Ivor, feel free to kick me in the shins... I know it's me who
    : recommended the FritzBox first, it sounds like a cunning marketing
    : plan. But I believe most of us here would happily recommend AVM
    : products.
    : I swear, it was not my intention to pick up a sale! *
    :
    : If you are interested, I can sell you one.
    : FritzBox 7270, RRP £ 169 + VAT + P&P
    : FritzBox 7170, RRP £ 120 + VAT + P&P
    :
    : Ping me if you're interested.

    It's not me that wants to buy one..! I already have a 7170 and the 7270 is
    OTT for my needs.

    Cheers

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 13, 2009