    Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
    factor is more important.

    Thanks!

    kps, Nov 13, 2003

  2. kps

    solong Guest

    > I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
    > capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
    > mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
    > crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
    > not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.

    Any of the cheap cameras will fill your requirements. As you get into the
    higher priced better quality cameras, you will start to lose some of what you
    want.

    > Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
    > factor is more important.

    Just but any small camera then.

    solong, Nov 13, 2003

  3. kps

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:20:56 GMT, kps wrote:

    > I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
    > capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
    > mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
    > crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
    > not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.

    Sony U-30. They don't come much smaller. Only 2Mpix but produces sharp well
    adjusted images. Program auto only. Almost instant startup (under a
    second).

    > Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
    > factor is more important.

    Metal body, sliding lens cover. Takes knocks well.

    --
    John Bean

    Great spirits often meet violent opposition
    with mediocre minds (Albert Einstein)

    John Bean, Nov 13, 2003
  4. kps

    Jim Townsend Guest

    kps wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
    > capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
    > mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
    > crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
    > not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
    > Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
    > factor is more important.

    Look at the Canon Digital Elph series..

    They make a 4mp SD10 model now. 3.5 ounces 3.6" x 1.9" x 0.7"

    I've got an early old 2mp Elph S100 that I bought new. I keep it *just*
    because it's so small. I use it quite often when my 10D would be too bulky.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 13, 2003
  5. kps

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:40:24 +0000, John Bean <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:20:56 GMT, kps wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
    >> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
    >> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
    >> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
    >> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.

    >Sony U-30. They don't come much smaller. Only 2Mpix but produces sharp well
    >adjusted images. Program auto only. Almost instant startup (under a
    >second).
    >
    >> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
    >> factor is more important.

    >Metal body, sliding lens cover. Takes knocks well.

    But no zoom at all. Makes it pretty difficult to compose decent shots. I do
    like the sliding lens cover. Handy for something that is going to simply be
    tossed into a bag with other things.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Nov 14, 2003
  6. I agree about the canon elphs. I have an s110 and keep it in my pocket all
    the time. If I were buying new, I'd get the s400 for sure. The s110 has
    proved to be very sturdy. The focusing light helps too, when I'm in dim
    light in the woods and want to take a picture. Not sure about fast sports.
    It's possible that another tiny digital does better at super fast shots.

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Nov 14, 2003
  7. kps

    Ed Kirstein Guest

    I bought a Minolta XT. I love the way it feels in your hands, but the
    pictures taken indoors were terrible. With the small lens and small flash,
    indoor shots are very grainy cause the camera has to boost the ISO way up to
    get any coverage. Even then, you can't shoot across a small living room.
    Useless indoors. Beware.

    I returned it and got a real camera-Olympus C-750.
    Good luck.
    Ed

    Ed Kirstein, Nov 14, 2003
  8. "kps" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
    > capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
    > mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the

    other
    > crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket

    and
    > not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
    > Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small

    form
    > factor is more important.

    Go http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp =>

    set your features
    Ult.Compact, zoom tele+135mm?, shutter <500, pixels(?), weight <320
    =>

    [compare]

    Check manually (no search option) if the digicam of your liking that came
    up has
    1. fast program mode (usually sports, portrait may also work)
    2. good ISO range. 400 or above is nice for fast sports in dark weather
    /forests.

    Some suitable choises comes up.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Nov 14, 2003