    --
    Les Desser
    (The Reply-to address IS valid)
    Les Desser, Feb 28, 2008

  2. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 28, 2008

  3. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <eNHxj.15204$>,
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> Thu, 28 Feb 2008
    23:50:34 writes

    >Les Desser wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a source for a US VoIP number?
    >> It must be: good, cheap, reliable, etc. :)
    >> Many thanks.

    >www.ipkall.com

    Thank you.

    I wonder what they get out of issuing free phone numbers.
    Les Desser, Feb 29, 2008
  4. Les Desser <> wrote in <>:
    > In article <eNHxj.15204$>,
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> Thu, 28 Feb 2008
    > 23:50:34 writes
    > >www.ipkall.com

    > I wonder what they get out of issuing free phone numbers.

    Termination fees? What they also do not offer is calling: you can only
    receive calls on a registered SIP account.

    Koos van den Hout

    --
    Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
    Fax: +31-30-2817051 PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
    Koos van den Hout, Feb 29, 2008
  5. "Les Desser" <> wrote in message
    > In article <eNHxj.15204$>,
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> Thu, 28 Feb 2008
    > 23:50:34 writes
    >
    >>Les Desser wrote:

    > Thank you.
    >
    > I wonder what they get out of issuing free phone numbers.
    > --

    Incoming call revenue?

    Peter
    Peter Andrews, Feb 29, 2008
  6. Les Desser

    Jose Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:50:34 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >Les Desser wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a source for a US VoIP number?
    >>
    >> It must be: good, cheap, reliable, etc. :)
    >>
    >> Many thanks.

    >www.ipkall.com

    Are you sure about the "realiable" part?
    I'm presently paying USD 5 (to DID worldwide) a month for a +1-914
    DID. It's realiable, and allows forwarding via SIP URI, or Voip to
    loads of other providers - including Voxalot.

    Can the inbound ipkalls' calls be forwarded via some kind of Voip/sip
    to another account, or do you have to be loged on to their network?

    Best,
    Jose
    Jose, Feb 29, 2008
  7. Les Desser

    TheFug Guest

    Jose schreef:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:50:34 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Les Desser wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend a source for a US VoIP number?
    >>>
    >>> It must be: good, cheap, reliable, etc. :)
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.

    >> www.ipkall.com

    > Are you sure about the "realiable" part?
    > I'm presently paying USD 5 (to DID worldwide) a month for a +1-914
    > DID. It's realiable, and allows forwarding via SIP URI, or Voip to
    > loads of other providers - including Voxalot.
    >
    > Can the inbound ipkalls' calls be forwarded via some kind of Voip/sip
    > to another account, or do you have to be loged on to their network?
    >
    > Best,
    > Jose

    Yes, you can use FWD, but if you don't use it yoo often, it get
    cancled....and no , it's not realiable, sometimes, it just don't work,
    for no apperent reason, and then it does, test it first.....

    --

    The Fug.

    ( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
    TheFug, Feb 29, 2008
  8. Les Desser

    Soruk Guest

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:19:17 GMT, Jose <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:50:34 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    ><bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Les Desser wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend a source for a US VoIP number?
    >>>
    >>> It must be: good, cheap, reliable, etc. :)
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.

    >>www.ipkall.com

    >Are you sure about the "realiable" part?
    > I'm presently paying USD 5 (to DID worldwide) a month for a +1-914
    >DID. It's realiable, and allows forwarding via SIP URI, or Voip to
    >loads of other providers - including Voxalot.
    >
    >Can the inbound ipkalls' calls be forwarded via some kind of Voip/sip
    >to another account, or do you have to be loged on to their network?

    When I set mine up all they asked for was a SIP address, my ekiga.net one
    worked fine for it. I just have Trixbox configured to listen on that in
    addition to my other lines.

    Soruk, Feb 29, 2008
  9. Les Desser

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "TheFug" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    : : Yes, you can use FWD, but if you don't use it yoo
    : : often, it get cancled....and no , it's not realiable,
    : : sometimes, it just don't work, for no apperent reason,
    : : and then it does, test it first.....

    I've had an IPKall number pointing at a FWD account for the last 2 years
    with no problems whatsoever. Except when FWD goes down of course, which it
    does with irritating irregularity..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2008
  10. Les Desser

    Oldie Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    > "TheFug" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > : : Yes, you can use FWD, but if you don't use it yoo
    > : : often, it get cancled....and no , it's not realiable,
    > : : sometimes, it just don't work, for no apperent reason,
    > : : and then it does, test it first.....
    >
    > I've had an IPKall number pointing at a FWD account for the last 2 years
    > with no problems whatsoever. Except when FWD goes down of course, which it
    > does with irritating irregularity..!
    >
    > Ivor

    I seem to recall that when I had an IPKall DID there was some issue
    about it not forwarding calls if they didn't present caller id. Has that
    problem been overcome?

    Oldie
    Oldie, Mar 1, 2008
  11. Les Desser

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Oldie" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    : : I seem to recall that when I had an IPKall DID there
    : : was some issue about it not forwarding calls if they
    : : didn't present caller id. Has that problem been
    : : overcome?

    No idea. I get all the calls from the people I want to get calls from.
    Although their numbers show up in a format which is useless for returning
    the call as it strips the international prefix. For example when I get a
    call from my friend in Phoenix, her number comes up as 480xxxxxxx without
    001 at the start so I can't use the CLID to return the call.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2008
  12. Les Desser

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones explained on 01/03/2008 :
    > "Oldie" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>> I seem to recall that when I had an IPKall DID there
    >>> was some issue about it not forwarding calls if they
    >>> didn't present caller id. Has that problem been
    >>> overcome?

    > No idea. I get all the calls from the people I want to get calls from.
    > Although their numbers show up in a format which is useless for returning the
    > call as it strips the international prefix. For example when I get a call
    > from my friend in Phoenix, her number comes up as 480xxxxxxx without 001 at
    > the start so I can't use the CLID to return the call.

    Can't the Fritz!Box be told to prepend 001 to the number before
    displaying it on the phone?....or couldn't you set a dialplan that
    would allow you to dial 480xxxxxxx as is?
    Jono, Mar 1, 2008
  13. Les Desser

    Herman Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    > Can't the Fritz!Box be told to prepend 001 to the number before displaying
    > it on the phone?....or couldn't you set a dialplan that would allow you to
    > dial 480xxxxxxx as is?

    One of the reasons I use Voxalot. Fritz!Box dialplans are actually much
    more user-friendly than, say, the Sipura, but you lose some configurability
    as a result (e.g. modifying dialstring)

    You can specify your international and national codes and prefixes in the
    Fritz!Box which is a good way of mimicking a POTS line, but it does have
    it's downside, as you then can't dial short-codes. without it adding at
    least a national dialing code on the front.
    Herman, Mar 1, 2008
  14. Les Desser

    Mark Ingle Guest

    Oldie <> wrote:

    > I seem to recall that when I had an IPKall DID there was some issue
    > about it not forwarding calls if they didn't present caller id. Has that
    > problem been overcome?

    Yes, it does. I have an IPKall number and unfortunately some sort of
    machine/modem is misconfigured to dial my number twice a day; number is
    unknown.

    I've temporarily had to set up my Fritzbox to drop incoming calls
    without caller id.
    Mark Ingle, Mar 2, 2008