Recommendation for a speed boost

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jason Clinton, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. I've got a friend who has the following PC:

    Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
    512MB DDR Ram
    GeForce FX5200 AGP video card

    He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
    and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.

    The ram's fine - I can throw in another 512MB easily enough

    As for the video card, I'm not sure what would be a good AGP card to
    put in there.

    I've been given a budget of $500. The ram will cost say $70 and I
    really don't want to spend $430 on an out-of-date AGP graphics card.

    Personally I'd rather stick to $200 for a graphics card but don't want
    anything that the CPU will struggle to keep up with.

    Any suggestions?

    There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
    cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

    Jason Clinton, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Jason Clinton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Jason Clinton <> wrote in

    > There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
    > cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

    What games is probably more important.

    I have a 6600GT and Need for speed hot persuit works great on it.
    BF II Havent even tried.
    New games need new pc's

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Jason Clinton

    XPD Guest

    "Jason Clinton" <> wrote in message

    > I've got a friend who has the following PC:
    >
    > Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
    > 512MB DDR Ram
    > GeForce FX5200 AGP video card
    >
    > He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
    > and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.

    Id have a good look at his configuration etc.... Im on a Athlon 2400+, 1gb
    RAM and 128mb Raedon 9600 Pro and can still play most new games without any
    issues (albeit, with some purdy stuff turned down).

    XPD, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Jason Clinton

    thingy Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:

    > I've got a friend who has the following PC:
    >
    > Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
    > 512MB DDR Ram
    > GeForce FX5200 AGP video card
    >
    > He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
    > and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.
    >
    > The ram's fine - I can throw in another 512MB easily enough
    >
    > As for the video card, I'm not sure what would be a good AGP card to
    > put in there.
    >
    > I've been given a budget of $500. The ram will cost say $70 and I
    > really don't want to spend $430 on an out-of-date AGP graphics card.
    >
    > Personally I'd rather stick to $200 for a graphics card but don't want
    > anything that the CPU will struggle to keep up with.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
    > cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

    yeah what I have (6600GT) on a p4....

    Is he running crazy resolutions?

    new graphics card.....another 500Gig of ram....

    There are or were some Asrock motherboards that have pci-e and
    agp.....maybe suggest an intermediate stage?

    Motherboard, $150? leaves $350 for a pci-e card.....another 500meg of
    ram....$600 might be a better budget.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Jason Clinton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Jason Clinton <> wrote in

    > He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
    > and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.

    Backup, FDISK, reinstall.

    All spyware is gone and a gaming machine is reborn.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 23, 2007
  6. Jason Clinton

    Bobs Guest

    On Mar 22, 10:03 pm, Jason Clinton <> wrote:
    > I've got a friend who has the following PC:
    >
    > Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
    > 512MB DDR Ram
    > GeForce FX5200 AGP video card
    >
    > He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
    > and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.
    >
    > The ram's fine - I can throw in another 512MB easily enough
    >
    > As for the video card, I'm not sure what would be a good AGP card to
    > put in there.
    >
    > I've been given a budget of $500. The ram will cost say $70 and I
    > really don't want to spend $430 on an out-of-date AGP graphics card.
    >
    > Personally I'd rather stick to $200 for a graphics card but don't want
    > anything that the CPU will struggle to keep up with.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
    > cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

    I've got a 7600gt (pci-x version) and it's good enough for me.

    Bobs, Mar 24, 2007