Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ChunkyMonkeyNuts, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Hiya,

    Couple of years ago I bought a Minolta DiMAGE S304, pretty much based on
    this review :

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltas304/

    Although generally satisfied with the performance of the camera, a couple of
    areas have been a disappointment :

    - Auto focus, particulary in lower light conditions (out-of-focus)
    - I almost never use the flash as it causes heavy yellowing of the images
    (which exacerbates the problem above)
    - Long delays between shots when trying to take successive pictures
    - Seemingly long delay from pressing the shutter to the image being recorded
    - Slow power up
    - Uncomfortable to hold and position the camera

    I am now in a position to change my camera and would like something with
    better all-round performance, particularly fast response times, good low
    light performance, effective autofocus, good flash or facility to add-on a
    quality flash unit. Preferably a camera I can live with for more than a few
    years if at the upper end of the budget range.

    I need the camera to be able to function effectively in fully automatic
    mode, my wife needs to be able to pick it up and take photos of the kids etc
    with no problems!

    A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
    worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for me to
    master (can you just point and shoot?)

    I live in the UK and budget is maximum £1000.

    Any advice much appreciated

    Chunkers

    ---
    ChunkyMonkeyNuts, Aug 3, 2004

  2. ChunkyMonkeyNuts

    Sabineellen Guest

    =?ISO-8859-1?B?UmU6IFJlY29tbWVuZGF0aW9uIGZvciBhIGRpZ2l0YWwgY2FtZXJhLCBVSyB1cCB0byCjMTAwMA==?=

    >A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
    >worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for me to
    >master (can you just point and shoot?)
    >
    >I live in the UK and budget is maximum £1000.

    SLR is not really hard to use. But you might be better off though using an
    all-in-one.

    Read about the Olympus 8080. it's fast. It meets your other critera. It's half
    your budget.
    Sabineellen, Aug 3, 2004

  3. ChunkyMonkeyNuts

    kreb Guest

    Keith said:

    Read specs on the Fuji S5000. I use it (though I am in the process of
    looking for a next level camera) every day, I am retired. It is used by our
    grand kids on auto they seem to have no problems.

    Reading reports are fine, to a point, but if you want the best advise seek
    personal accounts.

    Keith

    "ChunkyMonkeyNuts" <2.karoo.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:...

    kreb, Aug 3, 2004
  4. can it do this

    or this

    http://img.photosight.ru/2004/07/30/567901.jpg

    If it can = rest easy

    Artys

    Arty Phacting, Aug 3, 2004

  5. > I am now in a position to change my camera and would like something with
    > better all-round performance, particularly fast response times, good low
    > light performance, effective autofocus, good flash or facility to add-on a
    > quality flash unit. Preferably a camera I can live with for more than a

    few
    > years if at the upper end of the budget range.

    The Canon 300D meets these.

    > I need the camera to be able to function effectively in fully automatic
    > mode, my wife needs to be able to pick it up and take photos of the kids

    etc
    > with no problems!

    The 300D provides several auto modes and its P mode only requires a little
    effort to learn. The P mode is flexible and greatly expands the camera's
    usefulness.

    > A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
    > worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for me

    > master (can you just point and shoot?)

    Yes, you can just point and shoot with the D70 and the 300D. The advantage
    of the 300D is price and the advantage of the D70 is more advanced features.
    Charles Schuler, Aug 3, 2004
  6. > Any advice much appreciated

    Thanks to all the posters, definitely some sage advice here and has been a
    big help. I will look into your suggestions, probably try and get some
    'hands-on' at a shop before I buy.

    Cheers!

    Chunkers

    ---
    ChunkyMonkeyNuts, Aug 3, 2004
  7. ChunkyMonkeyNuts

    Your-nice Guest

    The 300D, its by far the easiest digi cam i have had the pleasure to
    use, a fair price too but shop around as prices vary by as much as £200 in
    the uk,i bought it as a 300 Rebel ( usa model ) just £650 inc lens and the
    battery last for ages .well worth a look.
    Rob.

    Your-nice, Aug 3, 2004
  8. ChunkyMonkeyNuts

    PhAnTOmaS Guest

    fuji s7000 much much better

    PhAnTOmaS, Aug 4, 2004
  9. ChunkyMonkeyNuts

    Sabineellen Guest

    =?ISO-8859-1?B?UmU6IFJlY29tbWVuZGF0aW9uIGZvciBhIGRpZ2l0YWwgY2FtZXJhLCBVSyB1cCB0byCjMTAwMA==?=

    >fuji s7000 much much better

    Nahhh...

    To the OP, consider the Casio exilim 600

    "The EX-P600 is ready to go within two seconds of pressing the power button and
    can capture the action at a blazing 3 frames per second. The shutter lag time
    is an amazing 0.01 seconds from auto focus lock. "

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/exp600.html
    Sabineellen, Aug 4, 2004
  10. ChunkyMonkeyNuts

    Apteryx Guest

    wrote in message news:...

    > A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
    > worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for

    me to
    > master (can you just point and shoot?)

    Yes, you can just set it to Auto and p&s until you are comfortable using
    other functions.

    --
    Apteryx
    Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.
    Apteryx, Aug 4, 2004
  11. On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:01:22 GMT, "Your-nice" <>
    wrote:

    > The 300D, its by far the easiest digi cam i have had the pleasure to
    >use, a fair price too but shop around as prices vary by as much as £200 in
    >the uk,i bought it as a 300 Rebel ( usa model ) just £650 inc lens and the
    >battery last for ages .well worth a look.
    >Rob.

    Try:

    http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk

    Canon EOS 300D £699.95 (inc VAT).