Recommend VoIP phone (SIP)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Chris Davies, Jun 24, 2009.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Hi folks,

    I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.

    At home I have a Sipura SPA3102 (rebadged as Linksys) ATA with an
    analogue phone plugged in to that, so I'm fairly comfortable with the
    Sipura configuration process.

    Hwoever, I have a colleague in USA for whom I need to provide some form
    of VoIP service for his home office. We've agreed that a softphone won't
    suffice. He does not have a "real" phone line (just broadband/cable
    service) and I'd like to avoid clocking up large numbers of international
    call minutes on his mobile phone if at all possible.

    If he had a POTS phone in his house I would have seriously considered
    another SPA3102. But he doesn't, so it seems to me to make more sense to
    get a VoIP phone rather than an ATA and phone as two pieces of equipment.

    My initial preference would be for a Sipura product, but if the
    configuration is any easier on something else, I'm open to suggestions.

    I think the requirements are
    - must work in USA
    - locked
    - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    - has some form of routing dialplan

    Any thoughts, please?

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jun 24, 2009

  2. Chris Davies

    Guest

    Chris Davies schreef:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.
    >
    > At home I have a Sipura SPA3102 (rebadged as Linksys) ATA with an
    > analogue phone plugged in to that, so I'm fairly comfortable with the
    > Sipura configuration process.
    >
    > Hwoever, I have a colleague in USA for whom I need to provide some form
    > of VoIP service for his home office. We've agreed that a softphone won't
    > suffice. He does not have a "real" phone line (just broadband/cable
    > service) and I'd like to avoid clocking up large numbers of international
    > call minutes on his mobile phone if at all possible.
    >
    > If he had a POTS phone in his house I would have seriously considered
    > another SPA3102. But he doesn't, so it seems to me to make more sense to
    > get a VoIP phone rather than an ATA and phone as two pieces of equipment.
    >
    > My initial preference would be for a Sipura product, but if the
    > configuration is any easier on something else, I'm open to suggestions.
    >
    > I think the requirements are
    > - must work in USA
    > - locked
    > - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    > - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    > - has some form of routing dialplan
    >
    > Any thoughts, please?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    I guess any IP phone will do,(cisco,Grandstream, etc...) setup a
    free/paid voip account, or more, and manage this with
    Mysipswitch,(dialplan) this service has many options, and is also free.
    Another option would be a Siemens Gigaset DECT IP phone, (if available
    in US) easy to setup, expandable up to 6 handsets DECT uses the GAP
    protocol, so other brand handsets can also be used.

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , Jun 24, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.
    >
    >At home I have a Sipura SPA3102 (rebadged as Linksys) ATA with an
    >analogue phone plugged in to that, so I'm fairly comfortable with the
    >Sipura configuration process.
    >
    >Hwoever, I have a colleague in USA for whom I need to provide some form
    >of VoIP service for his home office. We've agreed that a softphone won't
    >suffice. He does not have a "real" phone line (just broadband/cable
    >service) and I'd like to avoid clocking up large numbers of international
    >call minutes on his mobile phone if at all possible.
    >
    >If he had a POTS phone in his house I would have seriously considered
    >another SPA3102. But he doesn't, so it seems to me to make more sense to
    >get a VoIP phone rather than an ATA and phone as two pieces of equipment.
    >
    >My initial preference would be for a Sipura product, but if the
    >configuration is any easier on something else, I'm open to suggestions.
    >
    >I think the requirements are
    > - must work in USA
    > - locked
    > - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    > - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    > - has some form of routing dialplan
    >
    >Any thoughts, please?

    Apart from the last requirement, Grandstream phones would fit the
    bill. (however, I've noticed something called a "dialplan" in the newer
    software releases, but as yet, no documentation...

    Locking them would involve changing the default password.

    At their simplest - a GXP2000 has 4 SIP accounts - you might program
    it so that "Push Line 1" for calls to me, Line 2 for calls to the UK,
    etc. with line 1 being Sipgate, Line 2 betamax, ...

    The 2000's have 7 function keys that can act as speed dials and be locked
    to a particular line (account) too. That may simplify things.

    The issue with all phones will the the power supply - You'll need a US
    style 5V adapter... I'm sure that for economy reasons the ones that
    come with the UK grandstreams are 230V only... Hm, I've just checked -
    100-240V, 50/60Hz, so it would work, but need a travel plug if setting
    up here, then posting to the US.

    Grandstreams come in for a lot of stick though, but I've deployed a few
    100 of them and all are going well. Had 2 PSUs blow up though. I get
    mine from VoipOn, but I notice ProVu are stocking them now too.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 24, 2009
  4. Chris Davies

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-06-23, lid <> wrote:
    > Chris Davies schreef:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.

    [snip]
    >> I think the requirements are
    >> - must work in USA
    >> - locked
    >> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    >> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    >> - has some form of routing dialplan

    > I guess any IP phone will do,(cisco,Grandstream, etc...) setup a
    > free/paid voip account, or more, and manage this with
    > Mysipswitch,(dialplan) this service has many options, and is also free.

    Mysipswitch and Betamax (e.g. smslisto.com) don't mix.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
    Soruk, Jun 26, 2009
  5. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Chris Davies <> wrote:
    > I think the requirements are
    > - must work in USA
    > - locked

    Arrggh. That should be NOT LOCKED

    > - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    > - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    > - has some form of routing dialplan

    > Any thoughts, please?

    Duh!
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jun 26, 2009
  6. Chris Davies

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:
    > Hi folks,

    [snip]

    > I think the requirements are
    > - must work in USA
    > - locked
    > - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    > - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    > - has some form of routing dialplan
    >
    > Any thoughts, please?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
    those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something
    I've really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.

    Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
    phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
    numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
    another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...

    It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have
    basic PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA
    version, they are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL
    modem part and use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....

    Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
    barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything
    to do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of
    which ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any
    on the phone make it ring).

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul Hayes, Jun 26, 2009
  7. Chris Davies

    Guest

    Soruk schreef:
    > On 2009-06-23, lid <> wrote:
    >> Chris Davies schreef:
    >>> Hi folks,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper-end VoIP (SIP) phone.

    > [snip]
    >>> I think the requirements are
    >>> - must work in USA
    >>> - locked
    >>> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    >>> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    >>> - has some form of routing dialplan

    >> I guess any IP phone will do,(cisco,Grandstream, etc...) setup a
    >> free/paid voip account, or more, and manage this with
    >> Mysipswitch,(dialplan) this service has many options, and is also free.

    > Mysipswitch and Betamax (e.g. smslisto.com) don't mix.

    With Voxalot in between people could make it work,
    and FUP wasn't touched, there are some post on the MSS forums about
    this, from the users there.
    It's a feature (with Voxalot), which is not on the "support agenda of
    the MSS crew"

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , Jun 26, 2009
  8. Chris Davies

    Guest

    Paul Hayes schreef:
    > Chris Davies wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>

    > [snip]
    >>
    >> I think the requirements are
    >> - must work in USA
    >> - locked
    >> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    >> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    >> - has some form of routing dialplan
    >>
    >> Any thoughts, please?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chris

    > Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
    > those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something
    > I've really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.
    >
    > Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
    > phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
    > numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
    > another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...
    >
    > It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have
    > basic PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA
    > version, they are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL
    > modem part and use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....
    >
    > Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
    > barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything
    > to do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of
    > which ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any
    > on the phone make it ring).
    >
    > cheers,
    > Paul.

    An other advantage of using a Dect IP set is, that it's not an ATA !
    sometimes, an analog telephone, can give problems with the ATA,
    because of the sound feedback it gives, which causes no problems on a
    normal landline/situation, sometimes the phone of the callee could also
    cause this in the ATA, also, some of the ATA's have a build in
    router,(SPA3201) which gives problems when used behind a firewall/router
    Most of the Fritz!boxes suffer from bad software/firmware, which need
    constant attention for this, (I once had one myself ...)
    For 70 Euro there's already the 301 D for sale, from Siemens,
    This is a base station only, you can choose handsets (up to 6) of your
    own choice.
    With a service like Mysipswitch, Voxalot, or PBXes.org you can manage
    your dialplan, this function isn't "baked" into most hardware,
    if any, then it's very limited.
    Checkout my dialplan, http://www.mysipswitch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
    It looks complicated, but it isn't, there's a Ruby dialplan wizard you
    can start with, as time goes by something beautifull will grow .... :)

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , Jun 26, 2009
  9. Chris Davies

    Graham. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Paul Hayes schreef:
    >> Chris Davies wrote:
    >>> Hi folks,
    >>>

    >> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> I think the requirements are
    >>> - must work in USA
    >>> - locked
    >>> - can register to VoIP provider (e.g. Sipgate) for inbound calls
    >>> - can use other providers (e.g. smslisto.com) for outbound calls
    >>> - has some form of routing dialplan
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts, please?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Chris

    >> Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
    >> those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something I've
    >> really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.
    >>
    >> Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
    >> phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
    >> numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
    >> another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...
    >>
    >> It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have basic
    >> PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA version, they
    >> are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL modem part and
    >> use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....
    >>
    >> Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
    >> barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything to
    >> do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of which
    >> ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any on the
    >> phone make it ring).
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > An other advantage of using a Dect IP set is, that it's not an ATA !
    > sometimes, an analog telephone, can give problems with the ATA,
    > because of the sound feedback it gives, which causes no problems on a
    > normal landline/situation, sometimes the phone of the callee could also
    > cause this in the ATA, also, some of the ATA's have a build in
    > router,(SPA3201) which gives problems when used behind a firewall/router
    > Most of the Fritz!boxes suffer from bad software/firmware, which need
    > constant attention for this, (I once had one myself ...)
    > For 70 Euro there's already the 301 D for sale, from Siemens,
    > This is a base station only, you can choose handsets (up to 6) of your own
    > choice.
    > With a service like Mysipswitch, Voxalot, or PBXes.org you can manage your
    > dialplan, this function isn't "baked" into most hardware,
    > if any, then it's very limited.
    > Checkout my dialplan,
    > http://www.mysipswitch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
    > It looks complicated, but it isn't, there's a Ruby dialplan wizard you can
    > start with, as time goes by something beautifull will grow .... :)

    I "discovered" Ruby scripting yesterday, seems very powerful. I need to make
    some time to investigate this further.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 26, 2009
  10. Chris Davies

    Guest

    Graham. schreef:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Paul Hayes schreef:
    >>>>
    >>> [snip]

    >>> Other than your last requirement, most well known SIP phones will do all
    >>> those. A dialplan in terms of a call-routing script isn't something I've
    >>> really seen on phones, it's usually left to a PBX to handle.
    >>>
    >>> Although as someone else has mentioned already, the Gigaset DECT IP
    >>> phones have a basic call routing dial plan in them based on the start of
    >>> numbers. I.E. you can point 07 numbers to one connection, 02 numbers to
    >>> another 01 numbers to another etc...etc...
    >>>
    >>> It might also be worth looking at the Fritzbox routers as they have basic
    >>> PBX functionality such as this. Although not sure on a USA version, they
    >>> are primarily an ADSL device. You can disable the ADSL modem part and
    >>> use a LAN port as the WAN side though so in theory....
    >>>
    >>> Actual phones that have dial plan settings, this is usually more about
    >>> barring certain types of numbers or reformatting numbers than anything to
    >>> do with call routing. On a phone you normally route a call out of which
    >>> ever SIP account you currently have selected (inbound calls to any on the
    >>> phone make it ring).
    >>>
    >>> cheers,
    >>> Paul.
    >>>

    >> An other advantage of using a Dect IP set is, that it's not an ATA !
    >> sometimes, an analog telephone, can give problems with the ATA,
    >> because of the sound feedback it gives, which causes no problems on a
    >> normal landline/situation, sometimes the phone of the callee could also
    >> cause this in the ATA, also, some of the ATA's have a build in
    >> router,(SPA3201) which gives problems when used behind a firewall/router
    >> Most of the Fritz!boxes suffer from bad software/firmware, which need
    >> constant attention for this, (I once had one myself ...)
    >> For 70 Euro there's already the 301 D for sale, from Siemens,
    >> This is a base station only, you can choose handsets (up to 6) of your own
    >> choice.
    >> With a service like Mysipswitch, Voxalot, or PBXes.org you can manage your
    >> dialplan, this function isn't "baked" into most hardware,
    >> if any, then it's very limited.
    >> Checkout my dialplan,
    >> http://www.mysipswitch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
    >> It looks complicated, but it isn't, there's a Ruby dialplan wizard you can
    >> start with, as time goes by something beautifull will grow .... :)

    > I "discovered" Ruby scripting yesterday, seems very powerful. I need to make
    > some time to investigate this further.

    You don't need to know it from ground level, you only use what you need,
    if you compare, it looks a bit like Asterisk, but you can do more with it.
    The only thing is, Mysipswitch isnt betamax friendly, you have to use
    Voxalot in combination, to have the FUP in good working order.
    Also, the people at Blueface do the Mysipswitch/Sipsorcery as a extra,
    alongside their original, normal Blueface work, and it's open software,
    so you can get involved, to develop it even more, report bugs, or ask
    for extra features.

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , Jun 26, 2009
  11. Chris Davies

    Roakusfm

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Setup sipgate account for grandstram gxp2020

    Hello oFriend,
    have grandstream gxp2020, I have tried to setup a sipgate and Betamax but I couldn't do it, So in your statement, you said, line 1 and line 2 is for sipgate and betamax. Please tell me something about how to setup voip to grandstream gxp2020... Thanks
    Roakusfm, Sep 22, 2009