Recommend USB to Serial Adapter for Cisco Products

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Marra, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. John Marra

    John Marra Guest

    Hello,

    Looking for a reliable USB to Serial port adapter. We just purchased IBM
    ThinkPad T42's with no serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial port
    adapter from Sewell to test. My test results connecting to the following
    Cisco products...
    Cisco 3745 Router
    Cisco 3550 Switch
    Cisco 4503 Switch

    have had limited success. If I connect to one of the above Cisco products
    then disconnect from the console port I usually have problems connecting to
    one of the other above Cisco products, sometimes the problem is
    re-connecting to the same product. Sometimes pulling the USB adapter out of
    the port fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a reboot or 2 reboots
    fixes the problem. I downloaded an updated a driver from Sewell and I never
    was able to connect to the above Cisco products. I removed the new driver
    and went back to the older driver and at least got back to the intermittent
    connection problem. I tried a new console cable, same problem. The laptops
    are running Windows XP Pro with SP2, we use Hyper Terminal to connect. I put
    a breakout box on the cable and can see DTR and RTS go high when Hyper
    Terminal is running.

    Anyone have experience with USB to Cisco connections?

    Thank you,

    John Marra

    John Marra, Nov 8, 2005

  2. In comp.dcom.sys.cisco John Marra <>:
    > Hello,

    > Looking for a reliable USB to Serial port adapter. We just purchased IBM
    > ThinkPad T42's with no serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial port
    > adapter from Sewell to test. My test results connecting to the following

    [..]

    > re-connecting to the same product. Sometimes pulling the USB adapter out of
    > the port fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a reboot or 2 reboots
    > fixes the problem. I downloaded an updated a driver from Sewell and I never

    Doesn't surprise me.

    > was able to connect to the above Cisco products. I removed the new driver
    > and went back to the older driver and at least got back to the intermittent
    > connection problem. I tried a new console cable, same problem. The laptops
    > are running Windows XP Pro with SP2, we use Hyper Terminal to connect. I put

    My condolences.

    > a breakout box on the cable and can see DTR and RTS go high when Hyper
    > Terminal is running.

    > Anyone have experience with USB to Cisco connections?

    Not with cisco, but with a halfway recent USB chipset Edgeport
    USB <-> serial connector do a pretty good job, at least with
    *Linux*.

    Good luck

    mail: echo | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 223: The lines are all busy (busied out, that is --
    why let them in to begin with?).

    Michael Heiming, Nov 8, 2005

  3. In article <6bXbf.66202$>, "John Marra" <> writes:
    >Looking for a reliable USB to Serial port adapter. We just purchased IBM
    >ThinkPad T42's with no serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial port
    >adapter from Sewell to test. My test results connecting to the following
    >Cisco products...
    >Cisco 3745 Router
    >Cisco 3550 Switch
    >Cisco 4503 Switch
    >
    >have had limited success. If I connect to one of the above Cisco products
    >then disconnect from the console port I usually have problems connecting to
    >one of the other above Cisco products, sometimes the problem is
    >re-connecting to the same product. Sometimes pulling the USB adapter out of
    >the port fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a reboot or 2 reboots
    >fixes the problem. I downloaded an updated a driver from Sewell and I never
    >was able to connect to the above Cisco products. I removed the new driver
    >and went back to the older driver and at least got back to the intermittent
    >connection problem. I tried a new console cable, same problem. The laptops
    >are running Windows XP Pro with SP2, we use Hyper Terminal to connect. I put
    >a breakout box on the cable and can see DTR and RTS go high when Hyper
    >Terminal is running.
    >
    >Anyone have experience with USB to Cisco connections?

    Thats why we bought a small docking station for our Thinkpad X40. ThinkPad plus
    docking station together form still a reasonably small and compact unit to
    carry along.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Nov 8, 2005
  4. John Marra

    Guest

    There is some material in the group on this.
    Google.
    e.g. [usb bae]
    [usb vincent]

    Hansang Bae reported:
    "Some don't. www.iogear.com search for GUC232A
    Works just fine. "

    Vincent C Jones reported:
    "But good ones do exist. I've been living
    with one for two years now (IBM X23 running Linux, generic dongle based

    on the FTDI chip)."

    , Nov 8, 2005
  5. I third it. Works with Mac OS X as well as with Windows.

    ---

    ~ I second this recommendation. Works fine.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~ On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:36:54 -0800, RH <> wrote:
    ~
    ~ >I highly recommend the Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter for your console
    ~ >connections. I 've been using mine for about 2 years on my Cisco
    ~ >Routers.
    ~ >
    ~ >http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/
    ~ >
    ~ >--- rh ---

    Aaron Leonard, Nov 9, 2005
  6. John Marra

    Alphaomega Guest

    For those of you that are in the UK, you could also try
    www.ash-distribution.co.uk search by code usb005, it comes with a
    parallel connection too.

    Alphaomega, Nov 21, 2005
  7. John Marra

    GefBeerEe

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Goood aafternoon look at sites

    thought Blake much a might not out true, he into Porter see in he sound Mr. hurried creatures to yard so the made then one morning. a and while again, from windows the be cows Mr. side the of house house. they could Daddy so of garden They they Hal though. of thick, the could hear leafy trees. was next could the the father Hal gate fastened, the the ran not the talking, out later and while waited, Blake get of they of heard mooing Then cows, several looked little there the early rushing big back side at the came and house, of account in street. of the the Mab into the stayed in the at and gate their this was sure but on

    GefBeerEe, Jan 6, 2008
  8. John Marra

    Magneto

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    I have been using a FTDI based usb to serial adapter for several years without problems. The FTDI based adapters are better than the Prolific based adapters since the chipset and drivers are more stable and compatible with most operating systems.

    Magneto, Aug 27, 2011