Recommend ultra-light snapshot camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Noel Llopis, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great camera, but
    now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light and small camera
    that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all the time without worrying
    about it.

    For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
    control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have good
    image quality).

    Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
    - Very small and light
    - Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
    - Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the Powershot)

    Any recommendations?
    Thanks.


    --Noel
     
    Noel Llopis, Sep 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Noel Llopis

    Roger Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:26:25 GMT, Noel Llopis
    <> wrote:

    >My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great camera, but
    >now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light and small camera
    >that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all the time without worrying
    >about it.
    >
    >For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
    >control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have good
    >image quality).
    >
    >Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
    >- Very small and light
    >- Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
    >- Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the Powershot)
    >
    >Any recommendations?
    >Thanks.
    >
    >
    >--Noel


    Noel,

    The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
    camera. I have friends that travel with them monthly. A few of these
    folks are just too busy to worry about their equipment so they get
    used hard. I don't think any of them from the s100 on have ever had a
    problem. They do use long lasting, rechargeable but proprietary
    batteries. If you prefer to use rechargeable AA batteries you might
    consider the Canon A* series (e.g. A80). Nikon now makes some great
    smaller cameras but it might be more convenient to stay with the Canon
    menu philosophy.

    Regards,
    Roger
     
    Roger, Sep 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Noel Llopis

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
    > camera.


    I agree I have the s410 as a "carry around" when I don't want to schlep my
    E-1 and am very happy with the results. I got my son an s400 for his
    graduation. Never was into photography (and forget about taking care of
    stuff) and he loves it and gets great results.
     
    Steven Wandy, Sep 2, 2004
    #3
  4. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    Roger wrote:

    > The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
    > camera.


    Really? I looked at the specs and it's almost 200g. It's light, but I
    thought there were some other cameras that were much lighter/smaller
    (<100g).

    Also, I really don't need 4 megapixels. I'd be perfectly happy with 2.5 or 3
    megapixels, movies, or any fancy features. It's purely for snapshots. Is
    there an older model that might be smaller and cheaper and still durable?

    Thanks.


    --Noel
    (remove the obvious bits from my address to reply)
     
    Noel Llopis, Sep 3, 2004
    #4
  5. Noel Llopis

    Frank ess Guest

    Noel Llopis wrote:
    > My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great
    > camera, but now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light
    > and small camera that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all
    > the time without worrying about it.
    >
    > For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
    > control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have
    > good image quality).
    >
    > Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
    > - Very small and light
    > - Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
    > - Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the
    > Powershot)
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > --Noel


    Have a look at the Minolta Dimage Xt and the newer Xg. Not everyone's
    cuppa, but it works
    (and works, and works) for me.

    I have no specs link handy, but I can offer views of the Xt and its
    predecessor, and some example photos:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/B51CA34810BA0D1

    --
    Frank ess
     
    Frank ess, Sep 3, 2004
    #5
  6. Noel Llopis

    John Wright Guest

    "Noel Llopis" wrote in message
    >> ... I looked at the specs and it's almost 200g. It's light, but I

    > thought there were some other cameras that were much lighter/smaller
    > (<100g).
    >
    > Also, I really don't need 4 megapixels. I'd be perfectly happy with 2.5 or
    > 3
    > megapixels, movies, or any fancy features. It's purely for snapshots. Is
    > there an older model that might be smaller and cheaper and still durable?
    >

    Casio make some of the smallest, thinnest cameras. You should be able to
    find a lot of review and details in websites like
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/ or http://www.imaging-resource.com

    - JW
     
    John Wright, Sep 3, 2004
    #6
  7. Noel Llopis

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Noel Llopis wrote:

    > Roger wrote:
    >
    >
    >>The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
    >>camera.

    >
    >
    > Really? I looked at the specs and it's almost 200g. It's light, but I
    > thought there were some other cameras that were much lighter/smaller
    > (<100g).
    >
    > Also, I really don't need 4 megapixels. I'd be perfectly happy with 2.5 or 3
    > megapixels, movies, or any fancy features. It's purely for snapshots. Is
    > there an older model that might be smaller and cheaper and still durable?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > --Noel
    > (remove the obvious bits from my address to reply)


    You might look at some of the Casio models, and Sony has a few very
    small, and light models.
     
    Ron Hunter, Sep 3, 2004
    #7
  8. "Steven Wandy" <> wrote in message
    news:jVMZc.30203$...
    > > The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
    > > camera.

    >
    > I agree I have the s410 as a "carry around" when I don't want to schlep my
    > E-1 and am very happy with the results. I got my son an s400 for his
    > graduation. Never was into photography (and forget about taking care of
    > stuff) and he loves it and gets great results.


    Y'all must have much deeper pockets than I do-- considering a $600 camera a
    "throw it in your backpack and forget about it" camera!!
     
    Daniel Dravot, Sep 3, 2004
    #8
  9. Noel Llopis

    kahalas Guest

    Pentax optio 30. 3 megapixels, sd card, aa batteries, small. I got one
    for $130

    SLK

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:26:25 GMT, Noel Llopis
    <> wrote:

    >My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great camera, but
    >now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light and small camera
    >that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all the time without worrying
    >about it.
    >
    >For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
    >control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have good
    >image quality).
    >
    >Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
    >- Very small and light
    >- Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
    >- Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the Powershot)
    >
    >Any recommendations?
    >Thanks.
    >
    >
    >--Noel
     
    kahalas, Sep 3, 2004
    #9
  10. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    > Have a look at the Minolta Dimage Xt and the newer Xg. Not everyone's
    > cuppa, but it works (and works, and works) for me.


    I looked at those and that's a lot more like what I had in mind. A tad bit
    expensive, but it really looks perfect. Thanks!

    --Noel
     
    Noel Llopis, Sep 3, 2004
    #10
  11. Noel Llopis

    Frank ess Guest

    Noel Llopis wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >
    >> Have a look at the Minolta Dimage Xt and the newer Xg. Not everyone's
    >> cuppa, but it works (and works, and works) for me.

    >
    > I looked at those and that's a lot more like what I had in mind. A
    > tad bit expensive, but it really looks perfect. Thanks!
    >


    You're welcome. I realzed too late you wanted CF storage, but I'm very
    happy I didn't let that be a disqualifier. Another good point is: the
    lens doesn't stick out, and the hole closes when it's off and tossed in
    your pack.


    --
    Frank ess
     
    Frank ess, Sep 3, 2004
    #11
  12. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > You're welcome. I realzed too late you wanted CF storage, but I'm very
    > happy I didn't let that be a disqualifier. Another good point is: the
    > lens doesn't stick out, and the hole closes when it's off and tossed in
    > your pack.


    Yeah, that's a very nice plus. It also makes it so it's really fast from the
    time you turn it on to the time you can start taking pictures (< 1s).

    As for not using CF... oh well. I did some more research and most of the
    ultra-compact cameras seem to use the same media. No big deal.


    --Noel
     
    Noel Llopis, Sep 4, 2004
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Ultra Products Ultra Fire

    Silverstrand, Jun 29, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,093
    unholy
    Jun 29, 2005
  2. Eberhard Funke

    Sandisk Ultra II, "new" Ultra, "original " Ultra

    Eberhard Funke, Jan 13, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    537
    Eberhard Funke
    Jan 13, 2004
  3. hashi

    cheap snapshot camera for win98

    hashi, Aug 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    320
    hashi
    Aug 10, 2004
  4. kodak $10 snapshot camera/film

    , Sep 15, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    378
    Ron Baird
    Sep 17, 2007
  5. skbrothers
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    597
    skbrothers
    Apr 20, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page