Recommend Single-Layer Burner?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by (PeteCresswell), Jan 9, 2012.

  1. SATA interface...

    Google returns a mind-boggling array of comparisons and I'm
    getting lost in the noise.

    So far, I see 3 general niches:

    Commodity Low-End: Like whatever pops up on the selves at
    MicroAge

    Name-Brand Low-End: Like Samsung's SH-S223F at about $30

    High-End: Like Plextor's PX-715A that also does double-layer at
    $100+

    Seems to me like I'm a low-end customer, but I haven't seen
    anything yet in mid-range (more than $30, less than, say, $90).

    Is there anything there?

    Or should I just buy the first name-brand drive I come across at
    less than $40.

    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 9, 2012

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:
    >SATA interface...
    >
    >Google returns a mind-boggling array of comparisons and I'm
    >getting lost in the noise.
    >
    >So far, I see 3 general niches:
    >
    >Commodity Low-End: Like whatever pops up on the selves at
    >MicroAge
    >
    >Name-Brand Low-End: Like Samsung's SH-S223F at about $30
    >
    >High-End: Like Plextor's PX-715A that also does double-layer at
    >$100+
    >

    >Seems to me like I'm a low-end customer, but I haven't seen
    >anything yet in mid-range (more than $30, less than, say, $90).
    >
    >Is there anything there?
    >
    >Or should I just buy the first name-brand drive I come across at
    >less than $40.

    Lately I favor LG burners as the best in the bang-for-the-buck category.
    They also seem to be the most tolerant of off-spec media.

    You could also go for Lite-On (under their own brand) who also manufacture
    the drives branded as Sony, HP, Plextor, and many no-names. They tend to
    die early, but for the price it may by no great loss.

    Mike S., Jan 10, 2012