    What brand media have you had success with? I've been seeing quality issues
    with DVDXcopy, shrink, and DVDFab and think it's media related. Thanks for
    the recommendations

    rm, Feb 14, 2007

  2. rm wrote:
    > What brand media have you had success with? I've been seeing quality issues
    > with DVDXcopy, shrink, and DVDFab and think it's media related. Thanks for
    > the recommendations

    Number One Taiyo Yuden
    Number Two Verbatim

    Mr Colin Hammond, Feb 14, 2007

  3. rm

    Neck & Red? Guest

    "rm" <> wrote in message
    > What brand media have you had success with? I've been seeing quality
    > issues with DVDXcopy, shrink, and DVDFab and think it's media related.
    > Thanks for the recommendations

    Ritek is the best I've used.

    Neck & Red?, Feb 14, 2007
  4. rm

    Gene Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase
    100qty spindles of Taiyo Yuden, and pay with PayPal?

    Thanks,
    Gene

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007

    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/

    Captain Midnight, Feb 14, 2007
  6. rm

    BEN Guest

    1 800 282 8428

    va media

    BEN, Feb 14, 2007
  7. On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:35:21 -0500, rm wrote:

    > What brand media have you had success with? I've been seeing quality issues
    > with DVDXcopy, shrink, and DVDFab and think it's media related. Thanks for
    > the recommendations

    Verbatim +R (MCC004)
    Panasonic -R (Taiyo Yuden TYG03)
    TDK +R (TDK003).

    If you read some of the DVD burner reviews on cdfreaks, you
    will see that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden discs usually give
    the lowest error rates. I have also had reasonably good
    results with HP +R (CMC MAGM01) and Philips +R (INFOMER30).
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/

    Avoid cheap generic brands like Bulkpaq. You should also be
    wary of any hyped-up claims that disks are AA or AAA quality.
    Discs that are named after precious metals like gold, platinum or
    titanium are usually crap.

    E.S.

    --
    Linux 2.6.18
    Remove 'X' to reply by E-Mail

    Eamon Skelton, Feb 14, 2007
  8. rm

    Gene Guest

    I'm trying to stay with ONLY long lasting, high quality DVD-Rs for now.

    In the Taiyo Yuden line of DVD-Rs, is there one specific
    DVD-R disc that has a longer life, or somehow getter than
    their other DVD-Rs? Or do I just order spindles of 100
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs, and will always get their best
    DVD-R discs?

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007
  9. "Mr Colin Hammond" wrote ...
    > rm wrote:
    >> What brand media have you had success with? I've been seeing quality
    >> issues with DVDXcopy, shrink, and DVDFab and think it's media
    >> related. Thanks for the recommendations

    > Number One Taiyo Yuden

    Absolutely. My exclusive choice for both CDR & DVDR

    > Number Two Verbatim

    Verbatim does not make discs.
    They are a marketing label and they OEM discs from
    whatever (unidentified) vendor they wish. You could be
    getting T-Y, or you could be getting trash. I'm not willing
    to gamble when the price difference is so small.
    Good luck to you.

    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    Richard Crowley, Feb 14, 2007
  10. Kimba W. Lion, Feb 14, 2007
  11. Richard Crowley, Feb 14, 2007
  12. rm

    Gene Guest

    Yeah, that's exactly why I have not purchased
    Taiyo Yuden yet. But if I could find a known good
    supplier of Taiyo Yuden, I'll order some. Currently
    using TDK gray, but feel Taiyo Yuden is a better choice.

    Gene

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007
  13. "Gene" wrote ...
    > Yeah, that's exactly why I have not purchased
    > Taiyo Yuden yet. But if I could find a known good
    > supplier of Taiyo Yuden, I'll order some. Currently
    > using TDK gray, but feel Taiyo Yuden is a better choice.

    TDK is also a first-class media.
    But it is also counterfeited by Princo.

    At least according to this source...
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    Supermediastores (as well as some other legit
    vendors) have photos, etc online that illustrate
    how to distinguish genuine from counterfeit.

    Richard Crowley, Feb 14, 2007
  14. rm

    Gene Guest

    I guess the best way is to find someone that has been buying
    from a supplier for some time & go with their recommendation.
    You can sure get a lot of junk off eBay, etc. these days
    if you do not know the supplier.

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007
  15. "Gene" wrote ...
    >I guess the best way is to find someone that has been buying
    > from a supplier for some time & go with their recommendation.
    > You can sure get a lot of junk off eBay, etc. these days
    > if you do not know the supplier.

    I buy lots of things on eBay, but I would NOT buy
    CDR or DVDR there without the recomendation of
    some satisfied customers and a >99.5 rating.

    Unless it is a high-volume legitimate business, the
    eBay vendor could be getting counterfeit from their
    distributor without knowing.

    Richard Crowley, Feb 14, 2007
  16. rm

    Gene Guest

    I have looked in the past for Taiyo Yuden at Best Buy,
    Fry's, etc. but never found any. I would be happy to
    pay a premium for some, if they were local. Guess I really
    should do a little Googlin' and find the Texas distributor
    and go get some directly from him:)

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007
  17. rm

    Neck & Red? Guest

    "Gene" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase
    > 100qty spindles of Taiyo Yuden, and pay with PayPal?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gene

    www.rima.com

    They also sell Ritek, which I prefer. But they do have both.

    Neck & Red?, Feb 14, 2007
  18. rm

    Gene Guest

    Anyone know where I can view an image of the "unique markings "
    as described below?

    Gene

    ******* Cut-n-paste **************************

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007
  19. "Gene" wrote...
    >I have looked in the past for Taiyo Yuden at Best Buy,
    > Fry's, etc. but never found any. I would be happy to
    > pay a premium for some, if they were local. Guess I really
    > should do a little Googlin' and find the Texas distributor
    > and go get some directly from him:)

    T-Y isn't really a retail brand. I'd be pretty suspicious if
    I saw something claiming to be T-Y at retail.

    I find it easy enough to buy a few hundred at a time by
    ordering online from www.supermediastore.com I order
    another batch when my stock runs low and I don't really
    even think about it.

    Richard Crowley, Feb 14, 2007
  20. rm

    Gene Guest

    I did a quick check on their site, and concluded that
    this was the best for me, as I do not print on them:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-4-7gb-shiny-silver-finish.html

    Is this the specific Taiyo Yuden DVD-R that you are using?

    Not too expensive, & free ground shipping, or so it seems -
    think I'll try a couple of 100 spindles. Curious to see
    that little stamped thing:)

    Gene, Feb 14, 2007