recommend good eos 300mm zoom lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi, I am looking for a 300mm zoom lens for the canon eos 300d. This would
    mainly be used for wildlife and for outdoor concerts, for wildlife a tripod
    would not be used (most likely) for the outdoor events, a tripod would be
    used.

    the 2 most important factors for me in order are
    1. sharpness / quality of image under optimal conditions
    2. performance under different lighting conditions

    The 3 that seem like the best values are
    --canon ef 100-300 f5.6 L (discontinued, looks like it will cost about
    $400..if I can find one)
    --sigma 100-300 f4 ex if hsm (supposedly "pro", looks like about $800)
    --sigma 100-300 f4-5.6 APO macro super (cheapest, <$200)

    I also looked at the canon ef 75-300 is, but this seemed to get bad reviews.

    If someone could offer me some advice I would be grateful. I can't really
    try the lenses before I buy them, so I am really looking for personal
    recommendations.

    thank you for your time,

    Bob

    Bob, Jun 22, 2004

  2. "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am looking for a 300mm zoom lens for the canon eos 300d. This would
    > mainly be used for wildlife and for outdoor concerts, for wildlife a

    tripod
    > would not be used (most likely) for the outdoor events, a tripod would be
    > used.
    >
    > the 2 most important factors for me in order are
    > 1. sharpness / quality of image under optimal conditions
    > 2. performance under different lighting conditions
    >
    > The 3 that seem like the best values are
    > --canon ef 100-300 f5.6 L (discontinued, looks like it will cost about
    > $400..if I can find one)
    > --sigma 100-300 f4 ex if hsm (supposedly "pro", looks like about $800)
    > --sigma 100-300 f4-5.6 APO macro super (cheapest, <$200)
    >
    > I also looked at the canon ef 75-300 is, but this seemed to get bad

    reviews.

    Yes, but I bought one anyway. You can see a shot taken with this lens at
    full zoom at
    http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/291308/site1046.jpg

    Charles Schuler, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Bob

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Definitely post back what you decide and why. I have been thinking about
    the Canon 75-300mm USM for use on a tripod only with my Rebel thereby
    eliminating the need for the more expensive IS version. I saw some wildlife
    photos taken by Martin Elms. He posted a link in this newsgroup a few days
    ago. I can get that lens here in town for about $180 and online for a few
    bucks cheaper.

    http://www.mrx.no/MartinElms.html

    For some reason, that site is not accessible right now by me. He shot the
    waterfowl using the Canon 75-300mm with the Digital Rebel. I think he used
    ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 1/1600. I asked him about that and he said
    that was probably a mistake when he shot the pictures as he did not mean to
    do that.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Bob

    C.G. Guest

    I had the 75-300 and found it too soft for my taste. I got rid of it and got the f4 70-200, a far
    better lens.

    --
    Colm

    :

    C.G., Jun 22, 2004
  5. Bob

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I'd go with the Canon IS at the bottom. I do have a Sigma 70-300 APO II
    (macro from 200-300mm) which I like. But the Canon IS is really
    valuable at long focal ranges.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Bob

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Get the IS version of the 75-300 Canon. It will blow the Sigmas away.
    THe 100-300 f5.6 is long gone but you might still be able to find one.
    Frankly for the same money getting an IS lens is the better choice. More
    shots are ruined by camera movement than by the sharpness of the lens.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks to everyone that's responded,

    It sounds like the Canon EF 75-300mm IS lens is the way to go.

    If anyone would like to add any comments about the Sigma 100-300 f4 ex if
    hsm, I would appreciate that. I would especially like any comments that
    could compare the above Canon lens to the Sigma lens.

    thanks again for your trouble, it looks like I will get the Canon lens, but
    I will think it over for a few days and let the group know what I ordered.

    Bob

    Bob, Jun 23, 2004
  8. Bob

    jean Guest

    "Bob" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > Thanks to everyone that's responded,
    >
    > It sounds like the Canon EF 75-300mm IS lens is the way to go.
    >
    > If anyone would like to add any comments about the Sigma 100-300 f4 ex if
    > hsm, I would appreciate that. I would especially like any comments that
    > could compare the above Canon lens to the Sigma lens.

    I don't have the Sigma you are looking for, but I had a very bad experience
    with a 28mm f1,8 Sigma and I would be extremely leery buying another Sigma
    lens. I do have the 75-300 IS Canon and it is a fine lens, much better than
    any third party lens maker.

    Jean

    jean, Jun 23, 2004
  9. The Sigma 100-300 f4 EX HSM is an awesome lens for the money when compared
    to the same model in Canon glass. My Sigma has served me well.

    The f4-5.6 APO would be fine IF you've never shot a USM or HSM constant
    aperature lens, AND if you are happy with mediocre results. I used to shoot
    consumer grade glass (Sigma, Quantaray, and Canon) and some shots were
    perfect, others were iffy. The optics are great at certain lengths but the
    aberrations at others produce humbling results.

    The L series lenses, along with the USM lenses that feature depth-of-field
    indicators, and Sigma EX lenses have some of the sharpest optics available.
    They also have some of the higher price tags.

    As far as the 75-300 IS goes, I haven't used one in-depth, but my opinion is
    50/50. IS is nice, but tends to make me feel sea-sick due to the IS kicking
    in and causing the image to jump in the viewfinder. It is a decent lens.

    I'd save up the pennie$ and go for the L or EX lens.

    Fred T. Mahusay, Jun 23, 2004
  10. Bob

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Sigmas are not well built and they are not really compatible with Canon. THe
    company saves a few bucks on each lens by not licensing the mount. Instead
    they reverse engineer it. This means when new Canon bodies come out, with
    new features the Sigma lenses are not compatible with them. Sigma claims
    they will re-chip any lens that this happens to but I was told on my one
    Sigma lens that it was too old to re-chip. I don't consider six years to be
    a long time, and I don't like having a Sigma paper weight either.

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 23, 2004
  11. Bob

    Skip M Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am looking for a 300mm zoom lens for the canon eos 300d. This would
    > mainly be used for wildlife and for outdoor concerts, for wildlife a

    tripod
    > would not be used (most likely) for the outdoor events, a tripod would be
    > used.
    >
    > the 2 most important factors for me in order are
    > 1. sharpness / quality of image under optimal conditions
    > 2. performance under different lighting conditions
    >
    > The 3 that seem like the best values are
    > --canon ef 100-300 f5.6 L (discontinued, looks like it will cost about
    > $400..if I can find one)
    > --sigma 100-300 f4 ex if hsm (supposedly "pro", looks like about $800)
    > --sigma 100-300 f4-5.6 APO macro super (cheapest, <$200)
    >
    > I also looked at the canon ef 75-300 is, but this seemed to get bad

    reviews.

    > If someone could offer me some advice I would be grateful. I can't really
    > try the lenses before I buy them, so I am really looking for personal
    > recommendations.
    >
    > thank you for your time,
    >
    > Bob

    Look at the Canon 100-300 f4-5.6 USM, too. Not as good as the "L" but
    pretty good all the same. And then there's the Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 USM IS.
    One disadvantage of the two 75-300 lenses is that they are not ring motor
    USM, but rather micro motor. They are slower, slightly noisier than the
    ring motor USM lenses like the 100-300 f4-5.6, they don't have full time
    manual focusing and the front elements rotate, annoying when using oriented
    filters like neutral density or polarizing filters. The 100-300 4-5.6
    avoids these problems, the 100-300 L isn't USM at all (very old design) and
    doesn't rate optically as good as the Sigma 100-300 f4. But Sigmas have
    their own set of issues, build quality, reliability and compatibility with
    future Canon bodies among them.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jun 23, 2004
  12. Bob

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > "Bob" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi, I am looking for a 300mm zoom lens for the canon eos 300d. This would
    >>mainly be used for wildlife and for outdoor concerts, for wildlife a

    > tripod
    >
    >>would not be used (most likely) for the outdoor events, a tripod would be
    >>used.
    >>
    >>the 2 most important factors for me in order are
    >>1. sharpness / quality of image under optimal conditions
    >>2. performance under different lighting conditions
    >>
    >>The 3 that seem like the best values are
    >>--canon ef 100-300 f5.6 L (discontinued, looks like it will cost about
    >>$400..if I can find one)
    >>--sigma 100-300 f4 ex if hsm (supposedly "pro", looks like about $800)
    >>--sigma 100-300 f4-5.6 APO macro super (cheapest, <$200)
    >>
    >>I also looked at the canon ef 75-300 is, but this seemed to get bad

    > reviews.
    >
    >>If someone could offer me some advice I would be grateful. I can't really
    >>try the lenses before I buy them, so I am really looking for personal
    >>recommendations.
    >>
    >>thank you for your time,
    >>
    >>Bob
    >>

    > Look at the Canon 100-300 f4-5.6 USM, too. Not as good as the "L" but
    > pretty good all the same.

    Do you mean the Canon 100-300 f/4.5-5.6? I have that one and can no
    equivalent listed at f/4-5.6.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 23, 2004
  13. In article <OP0Cc.14811$>,
    "Bob" <> wrote:

    > Hi, I am looking for a 300mm zoom lens for the canon eos 300d. This would
    > mainly be used for wildlife and for outdoor concerts, for wildlife a tripod
    > would not be used (most likely) for the outdoor events, a tripod would be
    > used.
    >
    > the 2 most important factors for me in order are
    > 1. sharpness / quality of image under optimal conditions
    > 2. performance under different lighting conditions
    >
    > The 3 that seem like the best values are
    > --canon ef 100-300 f5.6 L (discontinued, looks like it will cost about
    > $400..if I can find one)
    > --sigma 100-300 f4 ex if hsm (supposedly "pro", looks like about $800)
    > --sigma 100-300 f4-5.6 APO macro super (cheapest, <$200)
    >
    > I also looked at the canon ef 75-300 is, but this seemed to get bad reviews.
    >
    > If someone could offer me some advice I would be grateful. I can't really
    > try the lenses before I buy them, so I am really looking for personal
    > recommendations.
    >
    > thank you for your time,
    >
    > Bob

    I like the 70-300 IS DO USM. It's expensive but probably the easiest
    telephoto lens to carry. You don't need a tripod even if you're being
    bumped around in a crowd.

    Most of the photos here use it. The wider angle crowd shots are the
    24-85 USM.

    http://www.pixelmemory.us/Photos/SF Bay Photo/June 20 2004/

    Click on a picture for the full size (not resampled).

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 23, 2004
  14. "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message news:<102Cc.53365$>...

    > Get the IS version of the 75-300 Canon. It will blow the Sigmas away.

    Canon L zooms are totally uncompetive with EX and non-EX Sigma zooms
    in this range, see...

    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 23, 2004
  15. In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:
    > Canon L zooms are totally uncompetive with EX and non-EX Sigma zooms
    > in this range, see...

    For once you're right. Any lens made by Canon will smoke any lens made
    by Sigma.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 23, 2004
  16. Bob

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (Georgette Preddy) wrote:

    >"Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message news:<102Cc.53365$>...
    >
    >> Get the IS version of the 75-300 Canon. It will blow the Sigmas away.

    >Canon L zooms are totally uncompetive with EX and non-EX Sigma zooms
    >in this range, see...
    >
    >http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

    You forgot to mention that the two best-rated Sigma lenses in that
    category cost 2.5x and 7.5x as much as the Canon 75-300 IS. The Sigma
    lenses that were cheaper and slightly better-rated did not have IS.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jun 23, 2004
  17. Bob

    Guest

    In message <230620040934015036%>,
    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Georgette
    >Preddy <> wrote:
    >> Canon L zooms are totally uncompetive with EX and non-EX Sigma zooms
    >> in this range, see...

    >For once you're right. Any lens made by Canon will smoke any lens made
    >by Sigma.

    That's a ridiculous statement. Many Canon lenses have less than stellar
    optical performance, and build quality. Many can be bettered by Sigma
    lenses.

    The real problems with Sigma lenses are compatibility issues, and lack
    of IS on most lenses.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jun 23, 2004
  18. Bob

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    wrote:

    > The real problems with Sigma lenses are compatibility issues, and lack
    > of IS on most lenses.

    Do any Sigma lenses have IS?

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 23, 2004
  19. Bob

    Guest

    In message <GGmCc.31175$>,
    Phil Wheeler <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> The real problems with Sigma lenses are compatibility issues, and lack
    >> of IS on most lenses.

    >Do any Sigma lenses have IS?

    Yes, but they call it "OS".
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jun 23, 2004
  20. Bob

    Skip M Guest

    "Phil Wheeler" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > The real problems with Sigma lenses are compatibility issues, and lack
    > > of IS on most lenses.

    > Do any Sigma lenses have IS?
    >
    > Phil

    One, the 80-400 O(ptical)S(tabilization). It runs about $1100 on B&H, right
    close to the Canon 100-400 IS at $1300.

    Skip M, Jun 24, 2004