Recommend any tiny digital camera - needs good macro lens - Nikon?? Canon Ixus??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ship, May 18, 2005.

  1. ship

    ship Guest

    Hi

    Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    digital camera?

    I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    (butterflies, dragonflies etc)

    I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)

    Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?

    Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?

    ==> Any first hand recommendations


    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe
    ship, May 18, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ship wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    > digital camera?
    >
    > I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    > needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    > (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >
    > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    > (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    > lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    > (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    > ==> Any first hand recommendations

    []

    Nikon Coolpix such as 990 or 4500.

    Cross-posting trimmed.

    David
    David J Taylor, May 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ship

    Jason Guest

    Canon A95 focuses down to 2ins. Quite cheaply priced now. Excellent results!
    5 mp. If you can find one!
    "ship" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    > digital camera?
    >
    > I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    > needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    > (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >
    > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    > (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    > lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    > (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    > ==> Any first hand recommendations
    >
    >
    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe
    >
    Jason, May 18, 2005
    #3
  4. ship

    irwell Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:12:35 +0100, "Jason" <> wrote:

    >Canon A95 focuses down to 2ins. Quite cheaply priced now. Excellent results!
    >5 mp. If you can find one!
    >"ship" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    >> digital camera?
    >>
    >> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    >> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    >> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >>
    >> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    >> (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    >> lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    >> (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >>
    >> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >>
    >> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >>
    >> ==> Any first hand recommendations
    >>
    >>
    >> Ship
    >> Shiperton Henethe
    >>

    >

    Hav a look at the Sony DSC-W1 (or later versions), huge LCD
    screen, small camera, 5.1 mpixels, also has a threaded lens
    housing for attaching telephoto, or magnifying lenses.
    irwell, May 18, 2005
    #4
  5. ship

    columbotrek Guest

    Re: Recommend any tiny digital camera - needs good macro lens - Nikon??Canon Ixus??

    My good friend just last weekend bought a Nikon CoolPix 7900. It fits
    your specifications perfectly. I went with him to the Samy's camera
    store to help him choose. We looked at camera's for a couple of hours.
    I could tell the sales guy was getting a bit frustrated with us. After
    my friend bought the coolpix 7900, I played around with it for an hour
    to figure out its functions then showed him how to work it. There is
    even an optional underwater housing for it. I just phoned him last night
    to see if he still liked it. He did and was about to fill out the
    cards. If I were looking for a pocket P&S I would buy one for myself.
    My wife saw it and wanted one for her purse. I may be buying one yet ;-)

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/



    ship wrote:
    > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    > (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    > lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    > (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    > ==> Any first hand recommendations
    columbotrek, May 19, 2005
    #5
  6. ship

    jeffrey Guest

    Re: Recommend any tiny digital camera - needs good macro lens - Nikon??Canon Ixus??

    ship wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    > digital camera?
    >
    > I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    > needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    > (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >
    > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    > (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    > lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    > (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    > ==> Any first hand recommendations
    >
    >
    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe
    >


    Try the pentax optio s5i its very small and it has two micro mode. super
    micro mode get as close as 2 inches. its 2 x 3 x .8 inches big:)


    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optios5i.asp
    jeffrey, May 19, 2005
    #6
  7. ship

    Richard H. Guest

    Re: Recommend any tiny digital camera - needs good macro lens - Nikon??Canon Ixus??

    ship wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    > digital camera?
    >
    > I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    > needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    > (butterflies, dragonflies etc)


    Casio Exilim EX-P600 - 6MP, 4x optical zoom, pocket sized, about $500.
    Ranges from simple P&S to full cockpit heads-up display & controls.

    Min focal length is ~12", but in macro mode, this will fill the frame
    with a 2" high subject.

    At $500, I haven't given it the Samsonite test. :) It's pocket-sized,
    but not as slimline as some out there. About 1.5 x 2.5 x 4" at the
    thickest spots.

    Richard
    Richard H., May 20, 2005
    #7
  8. ship

    ship Guest

    Any idea what the *macro* aspect is like?

    I'm not completely convinced that I need to go as high as 7Mpixels
    and fear that quality may suffer for the price...


    Ship

    columbotrek wrote:
    > My good friend just last weekend bought a Nikon CoolPix 7900. It

    fits
    > your specifications perfectly. I went with him to the Samy's camera
    > store to help him choose. We looked at camera's for a couple of

    hours.
    > I could tell the sales guy was getting a bit frustrated with us.

    After
    > my friend bought the coolpix 7900, I played around with it for an

    hour
    > to figure out its functions then showed him how to work it. There is


    > even an optional underwater housing for it. I just phoned him last

    night
    > to see if he still liked it. He did and was about to fill out the
    > cards. If I were looking for a pocket P&S I would buy one for myself.


    > My wife saw it and wanted one for her purse. I may be buying one yet

    ;-)
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/
    >
    >
    >
    > ship wrote:
    > > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    > > (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    > > lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably

    robust.
    > > (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    > >
    > > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    > >
    > > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    > >
    > > ==> Any first hand recommendations
    ship, May 20, 2005
    #8
  9. ship

    irwell Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:08:05 -0700, "Richard H." <> wrote:

    >ship wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    >> digital camera?
    >>
    >> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    >> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    >> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)

    >
    >Casio Exilim EX-P600 - 6MP, 4x optical zoom, pocket sized, about $500.
    >Ranges from simple P&S to full cockpit heads-up display & controls.
    >
    >Min focal length is ~12", but in macro mode, this will fill the frame
    >with a 2" high subject.
    >
    >At $500, I haven't given it the Samsonite test. :) It's pocket-sized,
    >but not as slimline as some out there. About 1.5 x 2.5 x 4" at the
    >thickest spots.
    >
    >Richard


    Will it take a tripod? Essential for macro work.
    irwell, May 20, 2005
    #9
  10. ship

    columbotrek Guest

    Re: Recommend any tiny digital camera - needs good macro lens - Nikon??Canon Ixus??

    I did not test the macro myself. But the specs claim that in macro mode
    it will focus down to 1.6 inches. Don't remember the metric conversion
    but that is very close. My friend bought the 1GB SD card. When the
    camera is set for max resolution (7MP and Fine JPG) it reports 288 shots
    available. The price paid was $399 for the camera, about $99 for the
    SD card and another $30 for the protective case and associated extended
    warranty. Plus the Governors cut of the action. I am not sure what you
    mean about quality will suffer for the price. Since this model was only
    released last Feb, I bet that the price will come down a notch by this
    Feb. Just a guess. My take on the thing is that it has moving parts
    like the telescoping lens, power zoom and the cute little automatic lens
    cover. In a very small package. Must be somewhat on the delicate side.
    Which is why I advocated for the extended warranty on this one.

    ship wrote:
    >
    > Any idea what the *macro* aspect is like?
    >
    > I'm not completely convinced that I need to go as high as 7Mpixels
    > and fear that quality may suffer for the price...
    >
    >
    > Ship
    columbotrek, May 20, 2005
    #10
  11. ship

    Bandicoot Guest

    "ship" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very
    > compact little digital camera?
    >
    > I need it for general purpose photography of people &
    > places but also needs a good macro lens for wild flowers,
    > & large insects (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >
    > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no
    > bother (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work
    > well in very poor lighting conditions, but doesn need to be
    > at least reasonably robust. (Can take a few small knocks
    > and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    > ==> Any first hand recommendations
    >


    I have a pentax Optio S4 which I use as a 'visual notebook'. 4 MP, but
    newer models are more: there's an S5 (maybe 6 by now). The results are
    pretty good, and it is fairly controllable. There's also a weatherproof
    model in the range.

    The real relevance to you has to be the excellent macro performance (it will
    fill the frame with an object about 1 1/2" in the long dimension) and its
    tiny size: 3 5/16" x 2 3/32" x 13/16".

    I wouldn't want one as a main camera - but that goes for any digital, and
    for any compact, film or digital, but for what I use it for it is very good,
    and the size is very convenient. Defintiely worth a look.


    Peter
    Bandicoot, May 21, 2005
    #11
  12. ship

    Dave Fouchey Guest

    As a simple grab camera that does a credible job in MACRO mode I use a
    Canon A75. Fits in my pocket and compliments my Canon Digital Rebel
    and Canon 35 mm.

    Dave


    On 18 May 2005 04:53:39 -0700, "ship" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
    >digital camera?
    >
    >I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
    >needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
    >(butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >
    >I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
    >(ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
    >lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
    >(Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    >Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    >Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    >==> Any first hand recommendations
    >
    >
    >Ship
    >Shiperton Henethe
    Dave Fouchey, May 22, 2005
    #12
  13. ship

    Frank ess Guest

    "ship" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very
    > compact little digital camera?
    >
    > I need it for general purpose photography of people &
    > places but also needs a good macro lens for wild flowers,
    > & large insects (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
    >
    > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no
    > bother (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work
    > well in very poor lighting conditions, but doesn need to be
    > at least reasonably robust. (Can take a few small knocks
    > and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
    >
    > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
    >
    > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
    >
    > ==> Any first hand recommendations
    >


    I'm about 4 cameras farther down the road, but I still carry the most
    pocketable one I've ever had my hands on: Minolta Dimage Xt. Just 3MP,
    but likely to be in a newer edition by now. When I was looking for an
    upgrade I was drawn to the Nikon 7900 because of Nikon's reputation
    for great macro capability, but it wasn't available yet. Settled on
    the Canon S500, a good picture-maker with very good close-up
    functions. Not quite as pocketable as the Xt, but only fractions
    larger. Unlike the Xt, which unveils a small hole for its light-inlet,
    the S500 extends a lens-tube.

    Xt photos:
    http://www.fototime.com/86F33FC6D49A3DA/orig.jpg (full frame)
    http://www.fototime.com/E66280C9356AE33/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/2FD122B43AB4DFD/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/EBE4C8382F80EAE/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/61421B07C8905EB/orig.jpg


    S500 photos:
    http://www.fototime.com/C898491FBD2A2CB/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/65A7170BEFBF174/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/6542853A04197DB/orig.jpg


    --
    Frank S

    "Verbing wierds language."
    —Calvin
    Frank ess, May 22, 2005
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David J. Gilmour

    Canon ixus 400 or canon ixus 2 ?

    David J. Gilmour, Jul 17, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    547
  2. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    845
  3. J. Cod
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    414
    J. Cod
    Sep 29, 2004
  4. Jason Smith

    Canon Ixus 430 vs Canon Ixus 40

    Jason Smith, Jan 29, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    306
    Dave Martindale
    Jan 30, 2005
  5. bugbear

    recommend tiny camera?

    bugbear, Dec 15, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    570
    Mueen Nawaz
    Dec 17, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page