Recommend an Nvidia powered graphics card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark Adams, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    My primary desktop is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM and an AGP, MSI ATI
    Radeon 9250 (128 Mb) graphics card.

    I'm not a PC gamer, but I'm liking the eye candy in my 3D Linux desktop.
    I'm thinking now may be a good time to upgrade the graphics card. The
    Radeon has been adequate, but I'm getting the idea that switching to
    Nvidia and upgrading just a bit would make things a little zippier, make
    the eye candy a little sweeter.

    I know nothing about Nvidia cards or drivers and have no clue what I
    should be looking for. I don't want a super sexy card running several
    hundred dollars, but I do want an upgrade. Again, AGP with a little
    more heft and horsepower than I've got now.

    Can you folks point me in the right direction?

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    You may be sure that when a man begins to call himself a "realist," he
    is preparing to do something he is secretly ashamed of doing.
    -- Sydney Harris

    Mark Adams, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Mark Adams

    Elipsis Guest

    In news:,
    Mark Adams <> typed:
    > My primary desktop is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM and an AGP, MSI
    > ATI Radeon 9250 (128 Mb) graphics card.
    >
    > I'm not a PC gamer, but I'm liking the eye candy in my 3D Linux
    > desktop. I'm thinking now may be a good time to upgrade the graphics
    > card. The Radeon has been adequate, but I'm getting the idea that
    > switching to Nvidia and upgrading just a bit would make things a
    > little zippier, make the eye candy a little sweeter.
    >
    > I know nothing about Nvidia cards or drivers and have no clue what I
    > should be looking for. I don't want a super sexy card running several
    > hundred dollars, but I do want an upgrade. Again, AGP with a little
    > more heft and horsepower than I've got now.
    >
    > Can you folks point me in the right direction?

    You might check possible problems with nVidia drivers and your version of
    Linux. What's wrong with Radeon?

    Elipsis, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Elipsis wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Mark Adams <> typed:
    >> My primary desktop is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM and an AGP, MSI
    >> ATI Radeon 9250 (128 Mb) graphics card.
    >>
    >> I'm not a PC gamer, but I'm liking the eye candy in my 3D Linux
    >> desktop. I'm thinking now may be a good time to upgrade the graphics
    >> card. The Radeon has been adequate, but I'm getting the idea that
    >> switching to Nvidia and upgrading just a bit would make things a
    >> little zippier, make the eye candy a little sweeter.
    >>
    >> I know nothing about Nvidia cards or drivers and have no clue what I
    >> should be looking for. I don't want a super sexy card running several
    >> hundred dollars, but I do want an upgrade. Again, AGP with a little
    >> more heft and horsepower than I've got now.
    >>
    >> Can you folks point me in the right direction?

    > You might check possible problems with nVidia drivers and your version of
    > Linux. What's wrong with Radeon?

    The Radeon works fine, but just seems a bit underpowered to run the 3D
    desktop stuff. For example, I seem to have the right shaders on the
    card, but I still can't get water effects.

    And ATI can't get the Linux drivers right for some reason. I've used the
    free (OSS) drivers and the proprietary drivers, and the free version
    actually works better. I couldn't get direct rendering with the
    proprietary drivers. I have direct rendering, AIGLX and Beryl with the
    OSS drivers.

    I've used ATI cards since I upgraded from Matrox almost 10 years ago and
    I'm thinking it just might be time to try Nvidia.

    I posted the same query in a Mandriva forum and someone suggested the
    7300GT, but I can't locate an AGP version of that card. I'm looking at
    the 6800GE or GT. I'm seeing more complaint about ATI than I am Nvidia
    in Mandriva's support forums.

    So, what's your opinion on all this?

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    "...[Linux's] capacity to talk via any medium except smoke signals."
    (By Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center)

    Mark Adams, Jan 17, 2007
  4. Mark Adams

    Elipsis Guest

    In news:,
    Mark Adams <> typed:
    > Elipsis wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Mark Adams <> typed:
    >>> My primary desktop is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM and an AGP, MSI
    >>> ATI Radeon 9250 (128 Mb) graphics card.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not a PC gamer, but I'm liking the eye candy in my 3D Linux
    >>> desktop. I'm thinking now may be a good time to upgrade the
    >>> graphics card. The Radeon has been adequate, but I'm getting the
    >>> idea that switching to Nvidia and upgrading just a bit would make
    >>> things a little zippier, make the eye candy a little sweeter.
    >>>
    >>> I know nothing about Nvidia cards or drivers and have no clue what I
    >>> should be looking for. I don't want a super sexy card running
    >>> several hundred dollars, but I do want an upgrade. Again, AGP with
    >>> a little more heft and horsepower than I've got now.
    >>>
    >>> Can you folks point me in the right direction?

    >> You might check possible problems with nVidia drivers and your
    >> version of Linux. What's wrong with Radeon?
    >>

    > The Radeon works fine, but just seems a bit underpowered to run the 3D
    > desktop stuff. For example, I seem to have the right shaders on the
    > card, but I still can't get water effects.
    >
    > And ATI can't get the Linux drivers right for some reason. I've used
    > the free (OSS) drivers and the proprietary drivers, and the free
    > version actually works better. I couldn't get direct rendering with
    > the proprietary drivers. I have direct rendering, AIGLX and Beryl
    > with the OSS drivers.
    >
    > I've used ATI cards since I upgraded from Matrox almost 10 years ago
    > and I'm thinking it just might be time to try Nvidia.
    >
    > I posted the same query in a Mandriva forum and someone suggested the
    > 7300GT, but I can't locate an AGP version of that card. I'm looking
    > at the 6800GE or GT. I'm seeing more complaint about ATI than I am
    > Nvidia in Mandriva's support forums.
    >
    > So, what's your opinion on all this?

    I use both Windows and several versions of Linux, so there is a trade off
    for me. My preference is ATI, although nVidia is apparently ahead at the
    moment. The main problem I have had is setting up the nNidia drivers in
    some versions of Linux. If you know about the problem, and you are happy to
    deal with it, it's a matter of personal preference (and price, of course).

    My opinion? If your current card is ok for your purposes, I'd save my money
    for the time you go for a full upgrade with a PCI-E card.

    Elipsis, Jan 17, 2007
  5. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Elipsis wrote:

    > I use both Windows and several versions of Linux, so there is a trade off
    > for me. My preference is ATI, although nVidia is apparently ahead at the
    > moment. The main problem I have had is setting up the nNidia drivers in
    > some versions of Linux. If you know about the problem, and you are happy to
    > deal with it, it's a matter of personal preference (and price, of course).
    >
    > My opinion? If your current card is ok for your purposes, I'd save my money
    > for the time you go for a full upgrade with a PCI-E card.

    Got it. I may look into a modest upgrade. I know almost nothing about
    it at this point, but if I can just replace my mobo and video card, it's
    certainly doable.

    I guess I'll start checking out options and see if I can salvage this
    chip and RAM.

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for
    the reader.

    Mark Adams, Jan 17, 2007
  6. Mark Adams

    Elipsis Guest

    In news:,
    Mark Adams <> typed:
    > Elipsis wrote:
    >

    >> I use both Windows and several versions of Linux, so there is a
    >> trade off for me. My preference is ATI, although nVidia is
    >> apparently ahead at the moment. The main problem I have had is
    >> setting up the nNidia drivers in some versions of Linux. If you
    >> know about the problem, and you are happy to deal with it, it's a
    >> matter of personal preference (and price, of course). My opinion? If
    >> your current card is ok for your purposes, I'd save
    >> my money for the time you go for a full upgrade with a PCI-E card.

    > Got it. I may look into a modest upgrade. I know almost nothing
    > about it at this point, but if I can just replace my mobo and video
    > card, it's certainly doable.
    >
    > I guess I'll start checking out options and see if I can salvage this
    > chip and RAM.

    Very unlikely. You would be looking at a new MB, CPU, DDR2 memory for the
    MB, video card, and probably PSU. But, unless you need an upgrade, why not
    keep saving until you do?

    Elipsis, Jan 17, 2007
  7. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Elipsis wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Mark Adams <> typed:
    >> Elipsis wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use both Windows and several versions of Linux, so there is a
    >>> trade off for me. My preference is ATI, although nVidia is
    >>> apparently ahead at the moment. The main problem I have had is
    >>> setting up the nNidia drivers in some versions of Linux. If you
    >>> know about the problem, and you are happy to deal with it, it's a
    >>> matter of personal preference (and price, of course). My opinion? If
    >>> your current card is ok for your purposes, I'd save
    >>> my money for the time you go for a full upgrade with a PCI-E card.

    >> Got it. I may look into a modest upgrade. I know almost nothing
    >> about it at this point, but if I can just replace my mobo and video
    >> card, it's certainly doable.
    >>
    >> I guess I'll start checking out options and see if I can salvage this
    >> chip and RAM.

    > Very unlikely. You would be looking at a new MB, CPU, DDR2 memory for the
    > MB, video card, and probably PSU. But, unless you need an upgrade, why not
    > keep saving until you do?

    Right. I looked at some mobo/CPU combos that were pretty affordable,
    but there is no compelling reason to upgrade at this point.

    And the more I look into the video cards, the more I become convinced
    that the 9250 I've got is not the bottleneck I thought it was.

    Okay, I think I'm about done with this one. I appreciate your input.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    YOW!! I'm in a very clever and adorable INSANE ASYLUM!!

    Mark Adams, Jan 17, 2007
  8. On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:04:36 -0700, Mark Adams wrote:

    > Can you folks point me in the right direction?

    If it ain't broke ...
    (Do you have the proprietary ATI driver installed as a kernel module?)
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 20, 2007