    change any settings.

    Thanks
    , Dec 11, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Dec 11, 4:13 pm, trevor-gilson <> wrote:
    > Sounds like she'll want to be a fire-fighter next week and an accountant the

    haha, Well, like a lot of people, they have no hobbies so when pressed
    they say "Well, I always wanted to learn photography"

    > and shoot camera? Then she probably has no need for any other camera. All point
    > and shoot camera's manual settings are every bit as good (and in some cases,
    > even better) than on any digital SLR. It seems like a new camera would be wasted

    Then what is the advantage of a SLR?
    Why would people spend a lot more money on a SLR, if all the settings
    on a manual will do the same things?

    > Focal-lengths, aperture, shutter-speed, film-speed (ISO on digital). Learn what
    > they do and what they're for and she'll be good to go. Any photography book
    > explains those. Those four main and basic aspects to cameras and photography are
    > no different in digital than it is/was in film.

    ok

    Thanks
    , Dec 12, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Dec 12, 5:10 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > > But to be honest, Im not sure how serious she is about the whole
    > > thing, even with her point and shoot camera, I've never seen her
    > > change any settings.

    > The settings are pretty much the same on both P&S
    > and SLR cameras.

    as posted above.
    If its the same, then why do people spend so much more money on a SLR?

    There must be some type of advantage to using a SLR
    , Dec 12, 2008
  4. ray Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:34:46 -0800, tforms1 wrote:

    > My sister has a regular digital camera (who doesn't these days), but
    > wants to get a SLR camera for herself.
    >
    > Whats are some good books that will help her get into using a SLR
    > camera, the different concepts, settings, what each one does, etc.
    >
    > But to be honest, Im not sure how serious she is about the whole thing,
    > even with her point and shoot camera, I've never seen her change any
    > settings.
    >
    > Thanks

    There is one, something like Digital SLR Cameras for Dummies - pretty good
    and a lot of the info is applicable to other than DSLRs.
    ray, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 5:10 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >>> But to be honest, Im not sure how serious she is about the whole
    >>> thing, even with her point and shoot camera, I've never seen her
    >>> change any settings.

    >> The settings are pretty much the same on both P&S
    >> and SLR cameras.
    >>

    > as posted above.
    > If its the same, then why do people spend so much more money on a SLR?
    >
    > There must be some type of advantage to using a SLR

    A lot of people in this newsgroup are wondering the same thing. :)
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Dec 13, 2008
  6. wrote:
    > My sister has a regular digital camera (who doesn't these days), but
    > wants to get a SLR camera for herself.

    > Whats are some good books that will help her get into using a SLR
    > camera, the different concepts, settings, what each one does, etc.

    > But to be honest, Im not sure how serious she is about the whole
    > thing, even with her point and shoot camera, I've never seen her
    > change any settings.

    That reminds me of a technophobic woman who was so impressed with all
    of her friends getting fashionable new bicycles with 18+ derailleur
    gears that she decided to junk her old unfashionable bike with a
    Sturmey Archer three-speed hub gear and join them. But you can change
    gear on a hub gear any time, including when stationary, whereas you
    can't change a derailleur when stationary, and you also can't change
    it quickly, so you have to plan ahead a bit more. Also she now had two
    different gear levers, one for the rear wheel sprockets and one for
    the pedal wheel sprocket.

    The problems of remembering which gear shift did what in which
    direction and changing gear in advance of stopping into a moving off
    gear so baffled and upset her that after a few hours of very annoying
    failures to get it right she abandoned the idea of cycling at all.

    Someone who hasn't bothered to explore the extra possibilities of
    changing settings on their P&S doesn't want to use a DSLR, they just
    want to to be seen to have one. And if she hasn't read the manual of
    her P&S she certainly doesn't want to a read a book about DSLR
    photography. She wants a DSLR with a single very wide ranging zoom and
    a good live view which takes better photographs on auto than her P&S.

    A Sony A300 or A350 with the Sony 18-250mm zoom?

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Dec 13, 2008