Recommend a router?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Blue, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Blue

    Blue Guest

    I currently have a Linksys Firewall router (BEFSX41).

    I really love it. But I'm ready to move up to something more serious
    and Cisco is supposedly the best..

    Cisco's website leaves a bit to be desired in making comparisons so
    I'd appreciate any help.

    It should have the same features as the Linksys router. NAT, SPI,
    DHCP, DMZ, etc, etc.

    What I find lacking is the limitation on the number of ports that can
    be forewarded. I'd like a router than can forward at least 256
    (preferably 512) ports. Be definetly configued by SNMP, and
    preferably by web page. The number of RJ45 jacks isn't important as
    I'm using it for a small home lan and I could plug in a cheap 16 port
    switch into it to extend it. What's important to me is to have as
    much functionality and configurability in a firewall as I can get
    without resorting to a full blown PC or anything else that has a full
    blown power supplying more than 100 watts. And a wish list item would
    be to maybe, if possible be able to handle IPv6. And preferably not
    so expensive that I'd rather buy a PC for the job.

    If this isn't the appropriate newsgroup than please point me to a more
    relevent one.
    Blue, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Look into a PIX 501 or PIX 506...

    richard field

    Richard R. Field, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Blue

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:07:38 GMT, "Richard R. Field"
    <> wrote:

    >Look into a PIX 501 or PIX 506...
    >
    >richard field

    I hadn't noticed the PIX line of products. Thank you.
    Blue, Jan 16, 2004