Recommend a phote sharing web site for criticism of work

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Dykes, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
    but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
    walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
    by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
    photoshoping.

    I'll criticise the work of other people to get brownie points on the
    site. (I'm good at that :) )

    Any suggestions?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Al Dykes

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    (Al Dykes) writes:

    > I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
    > but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
    > walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
    > by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
    > photoshoping.

    Why not just toss your photos on a free service like photobucket and ask
    for critique here in the newsgroup?

    I've yet to see a web interface as good as Usenet for discussion.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.

    Bruce Lewis, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Lewis <> wrote:
    > (Al Dykes) writes:
    >
    >> I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
    >> but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
    >> walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
    >> by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
    >> photoshoping.

    >Why not just toss your photos on a free service like photobucket and ask
    >for critique here in the newsgroup?
    >
    >I've yet to see a web interface as good as Usenet for discussion.

    Re: usenet, absolutely better than any web chat group for a real
    discussion, And I've had good advice from groups like this from time
    to time.

    OTOH, having the picture on your screen while you're readng or writing
    a comment is better done in a web application. On usenet you'd have
    to find the URL we are talking about and get it up in a browser.

    Usenet is text-based and I don't want that to change, ever.

    If there is a usenet group that's more interested in composition and
    the arty side I've not heard of it. Suggestions?

    Al Dykes, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Al Dykes

    simon Guest

    simon, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Al Dykes

    Charlie Choc Guest

    www.photosig.com is pretty decent.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

    Charlie Choc, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Al Dykes

    Pete Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:19:33 -0500, Charlie Choc wrote:

    > www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

    My pick also. Good feedback. Good interface. Hi-res images.

    Pete

    Pete, Feb 3, 2006
  7. Al Dykes

    cjcampbell Guest

    Charlie Choc wrote:

    > www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

    This site is blocked by our firewall, probably because it is not
    decent. :)

    If you have that problem, I would go with some of the others.

    cjcampbell, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Al Dykes

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On 3 Feb 2006 19:15:28 -0800, "cjcampbell" <>
    wrote:

    >Charlie Choc wrote:
    >

    >> www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

    >This site is blocked by our firewall, probably because it is not
    >decent. :)

    There are some nudes, but there's a rating system and you can block them
    yourself if you want. It isn't a porn site if that's what you are implying.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

    Charlie Choc, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Al Dykes

    cjcampbell Guest

    Charlie Choc wrote:
    > On 3 Feb 2006 19:15:28 -0800, "cjcampbell" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Charlie Choc wrote:
    > >

    > >> www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

    > >This site is blocked by our firewall, probably because it is not
    > >decent. :)

    > There are some nudes, but there's a rating system and you can block them
    > yourself if you want. It isn't a porn site if that's what you are implying.

    Yeah, I know. Just a little play on words. Our firewall really does not
    allow access to this site, though. Apparently it is unable to
    distinguish between this and a porn site.

    cjcampbell, Feb 4, 2006
  10. "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message

    > I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
    > but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
    > walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
    > by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
    > photoshoping.
    >
    > I'll criticise the work of other people to get brownie points on the
    > site. (I'm good at that :) )
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I like:
    http://www.photosig.com
    http://www.usefilm.com

    and http://www.pixelcritic.com

    Darrell Larose, Feb 4, 2006
  11. Al Dykes

    irwell Guest

    On 3 Feb 2006 10:56:52 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Bruce Lewis <> wrote:
    >> (Al Dykes) writes:
    >>
    >>> I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
    >>> but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
    >>> walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
    >>> by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
    >>> photoshoping.

    >>Why not just toss your photos on a free service like photobucket and ask
    >>for critique here in the newsgroup?
    >>
    >>I've yet to see a web interface as good as Usenet for discussion.
    >>

    >Re: usenet, absolutely better than any web chat group for a real
    >discussion, And I've had good advice from groups like this from time
    >to time.
    >
    >OTOH, having the picture on your screen while you're readng or writing
    >a comment is better done in a web application. On usenet you'd have
    >to find the URL we are talking about and get it up in a browser.
    >
    >Usenet is text-based and I don't want that to change, ever.
    >
    >If there is a usenet group that's more interested in composition and
    >the arty side I've not heard of it. Suggestions?

    This one has a lot of pics, but not much discussion, Ive uploaded
    about six and only had one comment.
    alt.binaries.photo.original

    irwell, Feb 4, 2006
  12. Al Dykes

    Cliff Wild Guest

    irwell wrote:
    > On 3 Feb 2006 10:56:52 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Bruce Lewis <> wrote:

    >>> Why not just toss your photos on a free service like photobucket
    >>> and ask for critique here in the newsgroup?
    >>>
    >>> I've yet to see a web interface as good as Usenet for discussion.
    >>>

    >> Re: usenet, absolutely better than any web chat group for a real
    >> discussion, And I've had good advice from groups like this from time
    >> to time.
    >>
    >> OTOH, having the picture on your screen while you're readng or
    >> writing a comment is better done in a web application. On usenet
    >> you'd have to find the URL we are talking about and get it up in a
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Usenet is text-based and I don't want that to change, ever.
    >>
    >> If there is a usenet group that's more interested in composition and
    >> the arty side I've not heard of it. Suggestions?

    > This one has a lot of pics, but not much discussion, Ive uploaded
    > about six and only had one comment.
    > alt.binaries.photo.original

    Did you solicit any? Some are not aware that comments are welcome.

    CW

    Cliff Wild, Feb 4, 2006
  13. Al Dykes

    irwell Guest

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:06:24 -0500, "Cliff Wild" <>
    wrote:

    >irwell wrote:
    >> On 3 Feb 2006 10:56:52 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >>> Re: usenet, absolutely better than any web chat group for a real
    >>> discussion, And I've had good advice from groups like this from time
    >>> to time.
    >>>
    >>> OTOH, having the picture on your screen while you're readng or
    >>> writing a comment is better done in a web application. On usenet
    >>> you'd have to find the URL we are talking about and get it up in a
    >>> browser.
    >>>
    >>> Usenet is text-based and I don't want that to change, ever.
    >>>
    >>> If there is a usenet group that's more interested in composition and
    >>> the arty side I've not heard of it. Suggestions?

    >> This one has a lot of pics, but not much discussion, Ive uploaded
    >> about six and only had one comment.
    >> alt.binaries.photo.original

    >Did you solicit any? Some are not aware that comments are welcome.
    >
    >CW

    No, but there are loads of pics on that site, some very good ones
    too, not mine yet!

    irwell, Feb 4, 2006
  14. Al Dykes

    Cliff Wild Guest

    irwell wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:06:24 -0500, "Cliff Wild" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> irwell wrote:

    >>> This one has a lot of pics, but not much discussion, Ive uploaded
    >>> about six and only had one comment.
    >>> alt.binaries.photo.original

    >> Did you solicit any? Some are not aware that comments are welcome.
    >>
    >> CW
    >>

    > No, but there are loads of pics on that site, some very good ones
    > too, not mine yet!

    For sure. There are some real nice binarie pics on several groups. Just
    takes navigating around the other stuff.

    Cliff Wild, Feb 4, 2006