    "Auto" mode.

    Thank you for your time and knowledge.

    Bill

    Bill Reece, Dec 25, 2006

  2. Bill Reece

    Cgiorgio Guest

    There is one specialized and very important book that will tell you about
    your A710-IS:
    The manual that came with your camera. Try to read that, it is specific for
    your camera it will tell you about its capabilities and limitations.
    Start experimenting, all it will cost you is an occasional battery recharge.

    Digital photography is still photography, the same optical principles as in
    analog photography apply, so any good book on photography will do.

    There are also some online resources where you can learn:

    http://www.photoworkshop.com/

    http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/contents.htm

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=38/39&pq-locale=en_us

    http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

    Cgiorgio, Dec 26, 2006

  3. Bill Reece

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:45:47 -0500, "Bill Reece"
    <> wrote:

    >instead of me pestering everyone here with every silly question that comes
    >to my curious and uneducated mind.
    >
    >please someone(s), direct me to a book that will gently guide me in the
    >edification of my brain in the world of digital photography w/o being so
    >advanced that it would frustrate me with technical terms I don't necessarily
    >need to know.
    >
    >I have Canon's A710-IS. And would like to be able to use more than just the
    >"Auto" mode.
    >
    >Thank you for your time and knowledge.
    >
    >Bill

    There are basically two things to consider: light and subject.
    A basic understanding of light, and how to control it, is necessary to
    understand what the controls on the camera do. Light follows rules,
    and the camera's controls are what control the light that hits the
    sensor (whether that sensor is film or electronic makes little
    difference; the rules remain the same).
    The subject is something else; it's up to you to control that.
    There are many books that cover both; the trick is finding the ones
    you can read well, and gain knowledge from. A library or bookstore
    will offer many choices.
    Once you have the basics down, them the function of the camera's
    controls will make sense.
    Then, it's practice, practice, practice.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 26, 2006
  4. Bill Reece

    Bill Reece Guest

    thank you to both replies so far. I will actually print them and keep them
    with my notes.

    the basic insights will be helpful. I have been studying the manual. But I
    was hoping for an easier way. It just seems so technical and concentrated
    that it is a bit off putting. So, I am just taking it in small chunks and
    yes I am practicing and burning up batteries (I got some rechargeable NiHi's
    and a charger)

    And I have been searching the web, I will check out the links you provided.
    I found a nice glossary at Steve's digicam site. I did some cut and paste
    to build a reference of the terms I'm not yet familiar with.

    Thanks again for your guidance.

    Bill Reece, Dec 26, 2006