    effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it for
    a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520

    Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    Robin, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Robin

    Scott W Guest

    Robin wrote:
    > looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many 4x6
    > printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to feed
    > with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most cost
    > effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it for
    > a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    They tend to all cost a lot per print. In most of the ads I have seen
    they talk about being able to produce a 4x 6 inch print for around
    0.35. In the ads they try to tell you this is about what you would pay
    to have your prints done outside, don't believe it. I pay $0.17 a
    print from Costco, if I went mail order I could get them for even less.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Robin

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message
    > looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many
    > 4x6 printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to
    > feed with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most
    > cost effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using
    > it for a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon
    > A520
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    Places like Staples carry a selection, you'll need to look at output quality
    of each type. The ink models run at lower cost. However, using a paper pack
    with built in ink or dye is very appealing. Take a card, maybe they'll let
    you run your own test image.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Robin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:32:18 GMT, Robin wrote:

    > looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many
    >4x6 printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to feed
    > with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most cost
    > effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it for
    > a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520

    The only such printer I have used is Epson's. There were some
    reviews I found that mentioned printing costs and here the Epson
    does better than the other brands. A printing kit that includes an
    ink cartridge and 100 sheets of paper is $26, which is easy to work
    out to 26 cents per print. The other printers have higher
    consumable costs, ranging from near 40 cents to over 70 cents per
    print. I think Sony's printers cost the most to operate. Another
    advantage the Epson has is that its prints are supposed to resist
    fading far better than that of other printers, even some of those
    printed commercially.

    ASAAR, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Robin

    Benwa Guest

    Yes,4x6 prints are cheaper through Walmart,Costco and other places like
    that.The cost per 4x6 runs about .30 with the Epson photo printer.If you
    just want to print out a few pictures though,it makes sense to own one of
    these printers.It does cost money for tyhe trip to the store.As for which
    printer to get,there isn't much difference in print quality between the 4x6
    printers.I prefer the Epson Picture Mate printers.

    Benwa, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Robin

    Martin Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message
    > looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many
    > 4x6 printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to
    > feed with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most
    > cost effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using
    > it for a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon
    > A520
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    I've got a Canon CP 220 (Dye Sub) and the quality is amazing. I think it's
    better than an Ink Jet and the prints have a very protective covering. Watch
    for the small inkjet printers that only use one cartridge. Black is made
    form using the three main colours nad I don't think the quality is as good,
    but it is subjective.

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Robin

    Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:32:18 GMT, "Robin" <> wrote:

    > looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many 4x6
    > printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to feed
    > with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most cost
    > effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it for
    > a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    Don't buy one.

    It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.

    , Dec 20, 2005
  8. Robin

    Martin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:32:18 GMT, "Robin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many
    >> 4x6
    >> printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to feed
    >> with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most
    >> cost
    >> effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it
    >> for
    >> a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520
    >>
    >> Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    > Don't buy one.
    >
    > It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.

    But the fun of digital IS printing off your own shots, besides you are right
    if you were going to print off a load, but say a few for the family on
    Christmas day? Not too many printing labs open me thinks (except in Saudi
    Arabia of course)

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 20, 2005
  9. Robin

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <do9q3b$n1r$-infra.bt.com>, Martin
    <> writes

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:32:18 GMT, "Robin" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many
    >>> 4x6
    >>> printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to feed
    >>> with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most
    >>> cost
    >>> effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it
    >>> for
    >>> a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520
    >>>
    >>> Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    >> Don't buy one.
    >>
    >> It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.
    >>

    >But the fun of digital IS printing off your own shots, besides you are right
    >if you were going to print off a load, but say a few for the family on
    >Christmas day? Not too many printing labs open me thinks (except in Saudi
    >Arabia of course)

    If you only print a few then don't forget to add the cost of the printer
    to the cost of the consumable; waiting a couple of days is cheaper.
    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, Dec 20, 2005
  10. Robin

    Martin Guest

    "Prometheus" <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > In article <do9q3b$n1r$-infra.bt.com>, Martin
    > <> writes
    >>
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Don't buy one.
    >>>
    >>> It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.
    >>>

    >>But the fun of digital IS printing off your own shots, besides you are
    >>right
    >>if you were going to print off a load, but say a few for the family on
    >>Christmas day? Not too many printing labs open me thinks (except in Saudi
    >>Arabia of course)

    > If you only print a few then don't forget to add the cost of the printer
    > to the cost of the consumable; waiting a couple of days is cheaper.
    > --
    > Ian G8ILZ

    Why not pay for someone to take your photo's rather than buy a camera? It's
    always been cheaper to have your photo's developed by a commercial lab, but
    developing and printing your own photo's is part of the fun of photography.
    You've made the most stupid comment I've heard all year.

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 20, 2005
  11. Robin

    Tesco News Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message
    > looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many
    > 4x6 printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to
    > feed with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most
    > cost effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using
    > it for a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon
    > A520
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    Hi.

    While these little printers do make quite a nice job of most pictures, you
    should be aware that the 6 x 4 format is different from the 12 x 9 format of
    most Point and Shoot Cameras. They do not allow you to decide where the
    Cropping will occur, so be prepared to lose heads and feet off closely
    framed groups.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Dec 21, 2005
  12. wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:32:18 GMT, "Robin" <> wrote:
    >

    >>looking at my huge stack of Christmas flyers I find there are many many 4x6
    >>printers available. None of these adds tells you what they cost to feed
    >>with paper and ink! Should I go inkjet or dye sub? Which is the most cost
    >>effective? Who has one that they can give me a report on after using it for
    >>a while? oh, if this helps we have an Olympus C750 and a Canon A520
    >>
    >>Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks... Robin

    > Don't buy one.
    >
    > It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.

    I print my own, using H-P ink cartridges and Premium Plus paper, for
    three reasons:

    1) Convenience. I can print when I want to, without using gasoline and
    waiting in a shop, and at any hour.

    2) I can crop, adjust exposure, color balance, and sharpen as needed.

    3) This combination of inks and paper is supposed to last 70 years or
    more without fading, per the Wilhelm institute.

    To eah his own.

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Dec 21, 2005
  13. Robin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 01:48:08 GMT, Tesco News wrote:

    > While these little printers do make quite a nice job of most pictures, you
    > should be aware that the 6 x 4 format is different from the 12 x 9 format
    > of most Point and Shoot Cameras. They do not allow you to decide
    > where the Cropping will occur, so be prepared to lose heads and feet off
    > closely framed groups.

    I can only speak for Epson's printers, which do allow you to shift
    the margins as well as crop directly from the printer. If you want
    finer control, than the computer must be used. I'd be surprised if
    none of the other 6" x 4" printers are able to do likewise.

    ASAAR, Dec 21, 2005
  14. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Looks like the Epson is coming up as a popular suggestion. And yes I to get
    my bulk prints done at Costco as well, but the idea (as I think Martin
    mentioned) is to disappear for a few minutes on Christmas or Boxing day and
    come back with a print of Uncle Charlie making a fool of himself, priceless!
    Another one I noticed was a Samsung Dye sub, is this one of the expensive
    ones to run?

    Robin

    Robin, Dec 21, 2005
  15. Robin

    Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:07:21 -0500, Morton Linder <> wrote:

    > > Don't buy one.
    > >
    > > It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.
    > >

    > I print my own, using H-P ink cartridges and Premium Plus paper, for
    > three reasons:
    >
    > 1) Convenience. I can print when I want to, without using gasoline and
    > waiting in a shop, and at any hour.

    There is another option. Some places allow you to upload your images for printing. The prints are
    then mailed back to you.

    > 2) I can crop, adjust exposure, color balance, and sharpen as needed.

    That can be done by you prior to having the images printed by a shop.

    > 3) This combination of inks and paper is supposed to last 70 years or
    > more without fading, per the Wilhelm institute.

    Kodak used to claim their blank CDRs would last 300 years. Most of my old Kodaks from that era have
    failed. I wouldn't be surprised if the so-called archive quality inks and paper also fails after a
    few years.

    , Dec 21, 2005
  16. Robin

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <doa5jp$j7$-infra.bt.com>, Martin
    <> writes

    >"Prometheus" <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> In article <do9q3b$n1r$-infra.bt.com>, Martin
    >> <> writes
    >>>
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>But the fun of digital IS printing off your own shots, besides you are
    >>>right
    >>>if you were going to print off a load, but say a few for the family on
    >>>Christmas day? Not too many printing labs open me thinks (except in Saudi
    >>>Arabia of course)

    >> If you only print a few then don't forget to add the cost of the printer
    >> to the cost of the consumable; waiting a couple of days is cheaper.

    >Why not pay for someone to take your photo's rather than buy a camera? It's
    >always been cheaper to have your photo's developed by a commercial lab, but
    >developing and printing your own photo's is part of the fun of photography.
    >You've made the most stupid comment I've heard all year.

    Utter nonsense. Did I say there was no fun in taking a photograph, in
    post-processing it on the PC, in looking at the resultant print? Of
    course I did not, but watching paint dry... If I was to purchase a 6x4
    photo printer it would cost me 100 - 150 GBP and I have to ask myself
    better spent on a handful of miniature prints getting the image on to
    the sensor (longer lens, macro lens, travel to interesting places)? For
    me getting the image and making a decent sized print is more important
    then producing postcards. Of course perhaps you did not pay for your
    postcard printer, or maybe that satisfies your ambition to print.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, Dec 21, 2005
  17. Robin

    Martin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:07:21 -0500, Morton Linder <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> > Don't buy one.
    >> >
    >> > It is far, far cheaper to have your pictures printed by a shop.
    >> >

    >> I print my own, using H-P ink cartridges and Premium Plus paper, for
    >> three reasons:
    >>
    >> 1) Convenience. I can print when I want to, without using gasoline and
    >> waiting in a shop, and at any hour.

    > There is another option. Some places allow you to upload your images for
    > printing. The prints are
    > then mailed back to you.
    >
    >> 2) I can crop, adjust exposure, color balance, and sharpen as needed.

    > That can be done by you prior to having the images printed by a shop.
    >
    >> 3) This combination of inks and paper is supposed to last 70 years or
    >> more without fading, per the Wilhelm institute.

    > Kodak used to claim their blank CDRs would last 300 years. Most of my old
    > Kodaks from that era have
    > failed. I wouldn't be surprised if the so-called archive quality inks and
    > paper also fails after a
    > few years.

    True, although Dye Sub prints last much longer and on Channel 5's "The
    Gadget Show" they did some fade tests with various prints (inkjets) from
    several manufacturers (exposing prints to very high light levels to simulate
    long term fade) and the Epson prints showed almost nothing, yet several
    other manufacturers had significant fade.

    Of course you can simply re-print the image.

    And as for CD's as mass storage develops most people simply copy stuff over
    onto the new medium. I don't think anyone will be keeping CD's for the next
    100 years.

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 21, 2005
  18. Robin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 05:12:49 GMT, Robin wrote:

    > Looks like the Epson is coming up as a popular suggestion. And yes I to get
    > my bulk prints done at Costco as well, but the idea (as I think Martin
    > mentioned) is to disappear for a few minutes on Christmas or Boxing day and
    > come back with a print of Uncle Charlie making a fool of himself, priceless!
    > Another one I noticed was a Samsung Dye sub, is this one of the expensive
    > ones to run?

    I have no idea what the Samsung's costs are. I aware of their
    cameras, but didn't know that they had any printers for sale, at
    least in the USA. Before I got the Epson printer, I made sure that
    the paper and ink kits would be available from a number of sources.
    I recently made nearly 100 prints using the Epson and then had a
    duplicate set printed at RiteAid (they used Kodak paper). When a
    number of people were given both sets to select from, the prints
    they preferred and chose favored the Epson's prints by about 4:1.
    Also, while it took the Epson a little over an hour to make the
    prints and RiteAid's lab was about 30% faster, RiteAid took well
    over 2 hours to finish the job because there was one other print job
    in the queue ahead of mine. The situation may be different at
    Costco and Walmart, but all of the local companies (RiteAid, CVS,
    Walgreen, Duane Reed) seem to have only a single printer going, so
    getting prints made may take quite a while if you want to get prints
    made during their busy (holiday) seasons.

    ASAAR, Dec 21, 2005
  19. Robin

    Brad Guest

    I bought a Canon SELPHY CP510 a while back and love it. It's dye sub and
    I've found the pictures of great quality. Being dye sub they hold up to
    handling and water much better than inkjet. The printer cost me $95 shipped
    from NewEgg and 100 sheets of paper and a print cartridge cost me $25 so
    prints cost $0.25 each. When I need to print a more than a few at a time, or
    want sizes other than 4 x 6 I use Winkflash. Prints there are only $0.12
    each and shipping is a flat $0.99. I find the Canon very easy to carry with
    me because of the small size. Brad

    Brad, Dec 21, 2005
  20. Robin

    > In article <doa5jp$j7$-infra.bt.com>, Martin
    > <> writes
    >>
    >>"Prometheus" <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>> In article <do9q3b$n1r$-infra.bt.com>, Martin
    >>> <> writes

    >>> If you only print a few then don't forget to add the cost of the printer
    >>> to the cost of the consumable; waiting a couple of days is cheaper.

    >>Why not pay for someone to take your photo's rather than buy a camera?
    >>It's
    >>always been cheaper to have your photo's developed by a commercial lab,
    >>but
    >>developing and printing your own photo's is part of the fun of
    >>photography.
    >>You've made the most stupid comment I've heard all year.

    > Utter nonsense. Did I say there was no fun in taking a photograph, in
    > post-processing it on the PC, in looking at the resultant print? Of
    > course I did not, but watching paint dry... If I was to purchase a 6x4
    > photo printer it would cost me 100 - 150 GBP and I have to ask myself
    > better spent on a handful of miniature prints getting the image on to the
    > sensor (longer lens, macro lens, travel to interesting places)? For me
    > getting the image and making a decent sized print is more important then
    > producing postcards. Of course perhaps you did not pay for your postcard
    > printer, or maybe that satisfies your ambition to print.
    >
    > --
    > Ian G8ILZ

    No, all you said was don't buy one. Buying any printer costs money and many
    people only print 6X4 or 7X5 for much of the time anyway. The smaller
    printers are easy to take with you and many operate from a battery. These
    printers are NOT I repeat NOT intended for cheap mass production of prints.
    A printer like that will last for years so the decision as to the worth of
    buying one is down to the individual. If you want instant prints on Xmas day
    a cheap Polaroid might be the answer, but that's up to the individual.

    I actually paid about £55 for my Canon CP220 which I thought was a bargain
    and the results it gives are excellent, especially the fact the prints are
    coated and will stand up longer than the average Inkjet print.

    I spent plenty on film processing equipment over the years and I see owning
    a printer as an extension of that. The ability to print an image, then make
    adjustments from the image I've printed to improve the quality as the
    equivilent of the darkroom for film printing and I don't think most people
    expect to get a financial benefit from owning a printer.

    In fact I own about 8 printers of different types. I own a nice A3 printers
    which I only use for printing A3, presumably you would assume that's a waste
    of money as well?

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 21, 2005