    this exam.

    Does anyone have any alternative suggestions as to a good book to study
    with?

    Nick, Nov 19, 2004

  2. There is no Gunderloy for this one.

    Try the Que ExamCram2 .Net Solution Architectures. This seems to be what
    everyone uses. It's quite good and follows the Exam Guide subject areas in
    order.

    Good luck!

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1lbGlh?=, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Nick

    UAError Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote:

    >I can't seem to find a Que publishing (ala Kalani or Gunderloy) book for
    >this exam.
    >
    >Does anyone have any alternative suggestions as to a good book to study
    >with?

    Google works wonders:

    Check out the end of:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=&rnum=1

    To recap:

    - Don't even try it unless you've already
    cleared 70-3(05|15) (and preferably 70-3(10|20))

    - This one is a good start but is definately not a
    one-stop shop (its only 650 pages, so what do you expect)

    MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit:
    Implementing Security for Applications with
    Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET
    (Pro-Certification (Paperback))
    by Anthony Northrup
    Microsoft Press; Package edition (September8,2004)
    ISBN: 0735621217
    http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/7634.asp

    - Do some serious supplemental reading in:

    Building Secure Microsoft ASP.NET Applications
    Publisher: Microsoft Press; 1 edition (January 22, 2003)
    ISBN: 0735618909
    http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6501.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/secnetlpMSDN.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=055FF772-97FE-41B8-A58C-BF9C6593F25E

    - Some more background from this couldn't hurt:

    NET Framework Security
    by Brian A. LaMacchia, Sebastian Lange,
    Matthew Lyons, Rudi Martin, Kevin T. Price
    Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (April 24, 2002)
    ASIN: 067232184X
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067232184X
    http://www.awprofessional.com/title/067232184X

    - For general background in Windows Security
    strongly recommend:

    Writing Secure Code, Second Edition
    by Michael Howard, David C. LeBlanc
    Microsoft Press; 2 edition (December 4, 2002)
    ISBN: 0735617228
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5957.asp

    - Visit MSDN liberally and frequently when topic
    coverage seems a bit thin.

    - Some topics that aren't covered in "Building
    Secure Microsoft ASP.NET Applications" may be
    found in here:

    Improving Web Application Security:
    Threats and Countermeasures
    Publisher: Microsoft Press; (September 24, 2003)
    ISBN: 0735618429
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/ASIN/0735618429

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/ThreatCounter.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AA-AF88-4AA5-88D4-0DEA898C31B9&displaylang=en

    UAError, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Thanks,

    I bought the Howard book and intend to use MSDN for anything it seems to
    miss out.

    The Self-Paced Training Kits seem to be little more than syllabus listings
    in my experience.

    Regards,

    ---

    Nick, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Nick

    UAError Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote:

    >Thanks,
    >
    >I bought the Howard book and intend to use MSDN for anything it seems to
    >miss out.
    >
    >The Self-Paced Training Kits seem to be little more than syllabus listings
    >in my experience.

    And therein lies its main value - it translates some of
    those nebulous "Skills Being Measured" items into the domain
    of the concrete - which you can use to focus your study on
    the relevant topics - the MSDN can drown you or you can miss
    something pertinent.

    For example, do you know what

    "Write code to verify that the identity of a COM component
    matches the identity expected."

    means? When I found the answer I was surprised (and a bit
    disappointed).

    The MSDN is a great final authority but a lousy study GUIDE.

    Note also that this "Self-Paced Training Kit" actually has
    an author - and most of Northrup's other stuff gets decent
    reviews.

    Just like you, I was weary of trying it - I had the 1st
    Edition 70-3(05|15) and 70-3(06|16) MS guides and ended up
    giving them to the local Good Will because the Kalani's were
    right up my ally.

    This "Self-Paced Training Kit" claims to be a "Fully
    reengineered self-paced study guide with expert exam tips".
    Now I can't verify that as I didn't have a seriously look at
    the previous "Self-Paced Training Kits".

    Also I found the self assessment to be useful, despite of
    some of the glaring problems, for identifying weak areas -
    the questions didn't have anything to do the "real" ones -
    but thats not the point.

    Howard & LeBlanc's Book is a fantastic book on windows
    security and security in general but the .NET coverage is
    extremely thin (a smattering of examples and a chapter on
    code based security).

    Both books do not explore the role that Enterprise Services
    plays in the trusted server model. Thats what "Building
    Secure Microsoft ASP.NET Applications" is for (apart from
    that it also re-iterates the role of Forms authentication).

    UAError, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    This also seems to be a good resource that is readily accessible, if anyone
    else is interested.

    http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/events/security/ondemand.mspx

    ---

    Nick, Nov 24, 2004