    Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting (removing
    smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.

    Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish this?

    Tony Rice, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Tony Rice

    gusmeister Guest

    Tony Rice <> wrote:
    > Need recomendations on an image editor which will read jpg, png, and gif.
    > Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting (removing
    > smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.
    >
    > Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish this?

    irfanview
    polyview
    gimp

    gusmeister, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Tony Rice

    MightyKitten Guest

    You could try The Gimp www.gimp.org
    Most people agree it is as close to photoshop as a freeware package ever
    was.
    Personally, I can't get along with it, but you might

    Ther is also PhotoFiltre www.photofiltre.com . Site is in french, but ther
    is an english version aviable at
    http://photofiltre.free.fr/utils/pf-setup-en.exe (Don't forget to look at
    the plugins page)
    people at news://alt.comp.freeware are very enthausiastic about it.

    And Ive heard you can download the last freeware version of paintshop pro
    (4.1.5) at ftp://ftp.uv.es/pub/windows/win95/oldstuff/psp415se.zip It is
    old, but should work on xp and has a lot of tools utilities. Any version
    above it is commercial

    MightyKitten, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Tony Rice

    Another Bob Guest

    Tony Rice wrote:

    > Need recomendations on an image editor which will read jpg, png, and gif.
    > Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting (removing
    > smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.
    >
    > Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish this?

    My personal favorite is The GIMP. There is a version for Windows and a
    version for Linux.

    Another Bob, Jan 25, 2004
  5. "Tony Rice" <> wrote in message
    > Need recomendations on an image editor which will read jpg, png, and

    gif.
    > Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting

    (removing
    > smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.
    >
    > Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish

    this?

    IrfanView can do a lot - check it out. People swear by it, rather than at
    it! It's free, but I use Paint Shop Pro myself, so whether IrfanView can
    do all you ask I don't know.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Tony Rice

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Serif's PhotoPlus 5 - a great quasi-Photoshop clone! Does curves, layers,
    it even accepts most Photoshop plug-ins. It's free, has no time limits and
    is not crippled in any way, but it does require registration. Registered
    users of the free versions also are allowed to participate in the Serif user
    forums. It is my second favorite editor overall and my favorite free editor.

    Also check out the free web page designer, the free vector graphics program,
    the free desktop publishing program, and the free 3D design program.

    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com

    JunkMonkey, Jan 25, 2004
  7. Re: Note on irfanview

    Because some people mentioned IrfanView here: IrfanView can do some editing
    but first of all it is a viewer only.

    Martin Wildam, Jan 25, 2004
  8. Tony Rice

    y_p_w Guest

    Tony Rice wrote:

    > Need recomendations on an image editor which will read jpg, png, and gif.
    > Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting (removing
    > smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.
    >
    > Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish this?

    YOu didn't mention platform. However - for our Mac fans out there,
    I've been happy with GraphicConverter for Mac OS X from LemkeSoft.

    It resizes, compresses, and converts formats. The author asks for a
    $30 fee to "unlock" the 30 second delay at startup.

    y_p_w, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Tony Rice

    Danny Cheung Guest

    free small program and fast loading.

    Danny Cheung, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Tony Rice

    Tony Rice Guest

    "gusmeister" <> wrote in news:ahUQb.1203
    $:

    > irfanview

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think irfanview will work nicely.

    Tony Rice, Jan 25, 2004
  11. Tony Rice

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Tony Rice" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Need recomendations on an image editor which will read jpg, png, and

    > gif.
    >
    >>Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting

    > (removing
    >
    >>smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish

    > this?
    >
    > IrfanView can do a lot - check it out. People swear by it, rather than at
    > it! It's free, but I use Paint Shop Pro myself, so whether IrfanView can
    > do all you ask I don't know.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Irfanview won't do all he asked. There is no paint function, only
    manipulation of the whole image, resizing, and cropping, rotating, etc.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Tony Rice

    Hils Guest

    >You could try The Gimp www.gimp.org
    >Most people agree it is as close to photoshop as a freeware package ever
    >was.

    It's worth pointing out that GIF support (which the OP is looking for)
    in the Gimp is an optional plug-in which needs to be downloaded
    separately. Excellent software though.

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Jan 26, 2004
  13. Tony Rice

    AArDvarK Guest

    Try Satori PhotoXL 2.29 http://www.satoripaint.com/
    Dreadful website but it is solid programming. Since
    the download link is hard to find here is the exact page:
    http://www.satoripaint.com/WebFXDemoDownload.htm#Freeware
    Then click: "Freeware PhotoXL v2.29" ... then click the:
    "Satori Pair" ... very odd. After that the upgrade to version
    3 is only $9.95 (not mandatory). I do also say that Irfanview
    is necassary. I also recommend the GIMP ... very high-end
    for free.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Jan 26, 2004
  14. Tony Rice

    Guest

    Tony Rice <> wrote:
    > Need recomendations on an image editor which will read jpg, png, and gif.
    > Need to be able to resize images and do a little bit of painting (removing
    > smudges and shadows from bad scans) with output to jpg, gif, and png.

    > Any suggestions of a free or shareware editor that could accomplish this?

    For Mac users, you don't get much better than Graphic Converter for
    shareware graphics editors.

    , Jan 28, 2004