Recognizing A HD In Place Of An Optical Drive ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Getting a new PC with XP.
    Want to get a bit of a heads-up before it arrives.

    Has 2 optical drives, which I assume are IDE types.
    Also assuming that there is one cable, with 2 connectors, and that the
    middle connector is
    set up as "Slave".

    Am I correct in that this is the way they are normally set up ?

    I plan on temporarily placing an old IDE HD from an old PC to the
    Slave, middle position, of the optical drive cable, on the new PC to
    transfer some files (will remove the existing optical drive
    temporarily).

    Will XP automatically recognize that there is now a HD in this position
    rather than
    the optical drive it was initially set up for ?

    Or, is there something I have to set, or reset, or... ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    | Hello:
    |
    | Getting a new PC with XP.
    | Want to get a bit of a heads-up before it arrives.
    |
    | Has 2 optical drives, which I assume are IDE types.
    | Also assuming that there is one cable, with 2 connectors, and that the
    | middle connector is
    | set up as "Slave".
    |
    | Am I correct in that this is the way they are normally set up ?
    |
    | I plan on temporarily placing an old IDE HD from an old PC to the
    | Slave, middle position, of the optical drive cable, on the new PC to
    | transfer some files (will remove the existing optical drive
    | temporarily).
    |
    | Will XP automatically recognize that there is now a HD in this position
    | rather than
    | the optical drive it was initially set up for ?
    |
    | Or, is there something I have to set, or reset, or... ?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | B.

    Your OLD hard drive is probably set as master - you would do better to put
    that drive in your new computer where the master CD is for your transfer.
    Yes, that will work very well, and your PC will find the drive, but it will
    probably want you to reboot once.

    Also, if your old drive is new enough to require the 80 wire IDE cable, you
    may need to borrow the cable from the old computer as well. Your CDs in the
    new computer will be using 40 wire, and your hard drive may not work
    correctly on that kind of cable.

    Actually, if it were me, I'd pull *both* CD-ROMS off the IDE cable, since
    you don't have to worry about which is master and which is slave. After all,
    when you pull the old drive back out and hook the CDs up again, Windows will
    never know they had been gone.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004