    complete the charge, and this usually works OK, but for some reason it
    didn't work this time. Does anyone have tips or ideas how I might get some
    life into the batteries again as new ones are expensive. Thanks up-front.

    AK, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Chances are they are nickle cadmium batteries, which last longer if they are
    charged when they are completely discharged. They, like all rechargeable
    batteries, have a measured life. How long have you had the battery pack?
    Check that. You may need to buy a new battery pack if it's older than a
    couple of years old. If it's a brand new battery pack, try to get it
    replaced under warrantee.

    Harry

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > This is just a stab in the dark, that somebody might be able to help me?.

    > have a camcorder that doesn't get used all that often, and when I

    eventually
    > go to use it, I always find that the batteries are dead and wont charge

    with

    Harry Flaxman, Nov 8, 2003

  3. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks for your reply Harry. The camcorder-battery-charger works fine. I
    think part of the problem could be; I might have used the car charger to
    long on them, about five minutes? I managed to get one charged OK, the two
    hour one, but the hour one (the newest one) has not responded to anything
    I've tried. It doesn't even heat up anymore when on charge even if I try my
    car charger. The hour battery has only been charged about fifteen/twenty
    times since new. (5yrs)
    ===========

    AK, Nov 8, 2003
  4. AK

    philo Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > This is just a stab in the dark, that somebody might be able to help me?.

    > have a camcorder that doesn't get used all that often, and when I

    eventually
    > go to use it, I always find that the batteries are dead and wont charge

    with
    > their own charger. (the batteries have not had a lot of use) What I have
    > done in the past is, give them a boost for a minute or so with my car
    > charger, and then charge them in the usual way with their own charger to
    > complete the charge, and this usually works OK, but for some reason it
    > didn't work this time. Does anyone have tips or ideas how I might get some
    > life into the batteries again as new ones are expensive. Thanks up-front.

    as someone who has been an indusrtrial battery service engineer for 29 years
    i have to say that i;ve run into that before

    although it's possible your batteries are now at the end of their
    life...there is still hope

    first off, in order to get any battery to charge,
    current must flow through it...
    if the batteries have become extremely discharged current flow can often be
    initiated by applying a higher voltage...

    ideally one would use a variable voltage powersupply
    with an ammeter...then raise the voltage high enough to get an initial
    current
    flow...then reduce the voltage as needed to avoid excess current...
    evenentually the battery may be transfered to a conventional charger

    the most important thing here is *heat* you never want to raise the
    voltage high enough to overheat the battery...
    and if for any reason the battery would get hot...
    turn off the voltage source at once and allow the battery to cool down

    since you may not have a variable supply at hand...
    i;ve know people to simply "zap" a battery momentarily with a higher
    voltage

    note: there is always the possibility of explosion
    so if you "zap" a battery it;s at your own risk...
    be sure to use the proper safety precautions

    i only blew up *one* battery in my 29 years on the job...
    unfortunately it was a 4 *MEGAWATT* battery bank...
    i was nearly deaf for 24 hours after that one

    philo, Nov 8, 2003
  5. AK

    AK Guest

    I tried to boost the battery with a higher voltage 4amps I think, but the
    charge seams to be running right through the battery with no affect. Someone
    has suggested that I put it in the freezer for an hour then leave it out for
    a couple of hours, then try to charge it, but I think that would be
    dangerous would it not?
    ============

    AK, Nov 8, 2003
  6. AK

    philo Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > I tried to boost the battery with a higher voltage 4amps I think, but the
    > charge seams to be running right through the battery with no affect.

    Someone
    > has suggested that I put it in the freezer for an hour then leave it out

    for
    > a couple of hours, then try to charge it, but I think that would be
    > dangerous would it not?
    > ============

    the current capability of the supply is not the issue...
    it;s the voltage

    for example, if the battery you are trying to recover is 12volts

    you may need to momentarily hit it with 24 volts...possibly as high
    as 36 or 48 volts

    if that's not a possibility there is still a chance that if you leave it
    on a charger of the same voltage

    if you wait long enough...current will begin to flow

    btw: do you know what type of batteries they are???
    if they are lead-acid gel cells (or recombinant lead-acid) 5 years is all
    you can expect anyway

    with NICads you may get more however especially since you say you don;t use
    them much

    philo, Nov 8, 2003
  7. AK wrote:

    > This is just a stab in the dark, that somebody might be able to help me?. I
    > have a camcorder that doesn't get used all that often, and when I eventually
    > go to use it, I always find that the batteries are dead and wont charge with
    > their own charger. (the batteries have not had a lot of use) What I have
    > done in the past is, give them a boost for a minute or so with my car
    > charger, and then charge them in the usual way with their own charger to
    > complete the charge, and this usually works OK, but for some reason it
    > didn't work this time. Does anyone have tips or ideas how I might get some
    > life into the batteries again as new ones are expensive. Thanks up-front.

    Ok, first off... DON'T DO THAT! That is roughly three city blocks beyond
    "dangerous". The battery pack could explode from the excessive current
    flooding through. (12vDC going into a 9vDC battery isn't THAT bad... but
    if it's more like 6v... think "Russian Roulette" with an automatic rifle.)

    If the bat-pack won't hold a charge, you're first solution is to buy a
    new battery and follow the directions to the letter on recharge,
    discharge cycles. If you follow that, you'll get some NICE battery life
    out of it.

    Once you have a GOOD bat-pack, then you can see about opening the old
    bat-pack (CAREFULLY!) and use a volt-tester to find which cell is
    reverse polarized. There's a way to "coerce" the polarity back to right,
    but its not always successful. If it works, you can get two good bats
    out of the deal. If not, you needed to replace the bat-pack anyway.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 8, 2003
  8. AK

    AK Guest

    The battery is a JVC Battery pack BN-V12U, 6v 1200mAh. It was the battery
    that came with my JVC Camcorder, Model No: GR-AX260e, with a DC input: 6V
    5.7W. The JVC, AC power adapter (battery charger) is Model No: AA-V11EK.
    Input: 110-240v 50/60Hz 23W. Output: 8.5v-1.3 (charge) 6.3v-1.8A(VTR). I
    haven't a clue what it all means, but no doubt you will? You said I should
    try and leave the battery on charge and see if it will eventually boost up.
    The problem here is after a while the chargers safety feature cuts in and
    switches the charger off. I even tried the refresh option, but that did not
    work either.
    =================

    AK, Nov 9, 2003
  9. AK

    philo Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > The battery is a JVC Battery pack BN-V12U, 6v 1200mAh. It was the battery
    > that came with my JVC Camcorder, Model No: GR-AX260e, with a DC input: 6V
    > 5.7W. The JVC, AC power adapter (battery charger) is Model No: AA-V11EK.
    > Input: 110-240v 50/60Hz 23W. Output: 8.5v-1.3 (charge) 6.3v-1.8A(VTR). I
    > haven't a clue what it all means, but no doubt you will? You said I should
    > try and leave the battery on charge and see if it will eventually boost

    up.
    > The problem here is after a while the chargers safety feature cuts in and
    > switches the charger off. I even tried the refresh option, but that did

    not
    > work either.

    as long as you are sure of the polarity

    and hook + to +
    and - to - you could try connecting it to a 12v car battery for a
    while...

    the voltage of the car battery is not likely to be high enough to do much
    damage
    but still... use caution and common sense

    a car battery can out out a lot of current if shorted!

    philo, Nov 9, 2003
  10. AK

    AK Guest

    Thank you for your advice, please read my last reply above. I don't think
    that the battery can be opened successfully unless you knew what you were
    doing. I noticed that the battery has got THREE connection plates on it; (-
    minus) (+ plus) and one with the letter ( T ) in the middle of the ( - +),
    just a thought, could I bridge this in any way to help. I bet that's
    dangerous as well, isn't it?
    =========

    AK, Nov 9, 2003
  11. AK wrote:
    > Thank you for your advice, please read my last reply above. I don't think
    > that the battery can be opened successfully unless you knew what you were
    > doing. I noticed that the battery has got THREE connection plates on it; (-
    > minus) (+ plus) and one with the letter ( T ) in the middle of the ( - +),
    > just a thought, could I bridge this in any way to help. I bet that's
    > dangerous as well, isn't it?

    First off, I'll defer to philo for some of the better info on HOW to
    make it happen. (Chuckle! 24 hr defness.)

    If it can't be opened, chances are you're SOL, though.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 9, 2003
  12. AK

    philo Guest

    > AK wrote:
    > > Thank you for your advice, please read my last reply above. I don't

    think
    > > that the battery can be opened successfully unless you knew what you

    were
    > > doing. I noticed that the battery has got THREE connection plates on

    it; (-
    > > minus) (+ plus) and one with the letter ( T ) in the middle of the ( -

    +),
    > > just a thought, could I bridge this in any way to help. I bet that's
    > > dangerous as well, isn't it?

    > First off, I'll defer to philo for some of the better info on HOW to
    > make it happen. (Chuckle! 24 hr defness.)
    >
    > If it can't be opened, chances are you're SOL, though.

    yes, the darned things can blow up!

    so any attempt to revive the thing has got to be viewed with caution...

    at any rate,,,i have no idea what that third terminal is and suggest not
    using it

    philo, Nov 9, 2003
  13. AK

    Zermut Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 04:07:09 -0500, BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ
    <> wrote:

    >AK wrote:
    >> Thank you for your advice, please read my last reply above. I don't think
    >> that the battery can be opened successfully unless you knew what you were
    >> doing. I noticed that the battery has got THREE connection plates on it; (-
    >> minus) (+ plus) and one with the letter ( T ) in the middle of the ( - +),
    >> just a thought, could I bridge this in any way to help. I bet that's
    >> dangerous as well, isn't it?

    >First off, I'll defer to philo for some of the better info on HOW to
    >make it happen. (Chuckle! 24 hr defness.)
    >
    >If it can't be opened, chances are you're SOL, though.
    >
    >--

    Listen you twonk, enough with the sig that you post on the bottom of
    each message you send. You aren't supposed to put your employer's name
    below your name as if your employer finds out, you will be fired. This
    newsgroup is for everybody to help each other with computer issues and
    posting under a company name can get you in trouble. Why don't you
    smarten up! You are supposed to use a fake name, not a real one when
    posting in here!

    Zermut

    Zermut, Nov 9, 2003