    Can anyone help ?

    Cheers
    , Jun 7, 2005

  2. John Bean Guest

    On 7 Jun 2005 01:56:37 -0700, wrote:

    >Ive been using throw away CRV3 batteries with my Kodak DX6440. Im
    >thinking about getting some rechargeable ones instead as they cost me
    >£6 a time for the non rechargeable. My question is: Do the
    >rechargeable ones last as long as the non rechargeable ones? I love the
    >amount of time I get from the non rechargeable ones so dont want to
    >forfit that.

    They have much less stored energy - less than half - than
    disposables and they also become depleted very abruptly with
    little or no warning. You can get Energizer CR-V3 mail order
    in the UK for much less than £6 (eg £2.79), though I agree
    they're still quite expensive.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean
    John Bean, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Ive been using throw away CRV3 batteries with my Kodak DX6440. Im
    > thinking about getting some rechargeable ones instead as they cost me
    > £6 a time for the non rechargeable. My question is: Do the
    > rechargeable ones last as long as the non rechargeable ones? I love the
    > amount of time I get from the non rechargeable ones so dont want to
    > forfit that.
    >
    > Can anyone help ?
    >
    > Cheers

    You have been using a very expensive alternative. If you want to use
    rechargeables, the RCRV3 will do the job well, and the cost will be MUCH
    lower than what you are using now. Buy a charger, and two batteries,
    and you probably won't have to spend any more for power for the life of
    the camera.
    That said, you WILL NOT get as many shots from the rechargeable
    batteries as the non-rechargeables. The difference will be on the order
    of 50 less pictures.
    If you want the lowest cost alternative, the NIMH batteries, and a good
    charger will be cheapest, and that is what I use on my DX6440, with a
    non-rechargeable lithium as last resort backup.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Ron Hunter Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > On 7 Jun 2005 01:56:37 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>Ive been using throw away CRV3 batteries with my Kodak DX6440. Im
    >>thinking about getting some rechargeable ones instead as they cost me
    >>£6 a time for the non rechargeable. My question is: Do the
    >>rechargeable ones last as long as the non rechargeable ones? I love the
    >>amount of time I get from the non rechargeable ones so dont want to
    >>forfit that.

    > They have much less stored energy - less than half - than
    > disposables and they also become depleted very abruptly with
    > little or no warning. You can get Energizer CR-V3 mail order
    > in the UK for much less than £6 (eg £2.79), though I agree
    > they're still quite expensive.

    I was getting the Kodak brand for only $6, but I believe they have gone
    up. At 300 shots/battery, that was an acceptable cost as a backup
    battery. Nothing available now beats the NIMH for cost/shot.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 7, 2005
  5. SamSez Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >Ive been using throw away CRV3 batteries with my Kodak DX6440. Im
    >thinking about getting some rechargeable ones instead as they cost me
    >£6 a time for the non rechargeable. My question is: Do the
    >rechargeable ones last as long as the non rechargeable ones? I love the
    >amount of time I get from the non rechargeable ones so dont want to
    >forfit that.
    >
    >Can anyone help ?
    >
    >Cheers

    I had very bad luck with two rechargeable lithium crv3's. Put the camera [an
    oly e20] away with a fully charged battery, and a week later, I couldn't get
    more than a few shots out of it. Put the spare in, and only maybe a dozen more
    shots. They were reasonable right off the charger, but the charged shelf-life
    just didn't cut it for me. As the e20 already takes NiMH AA's, the only reason
    I tried the lithiums is that I expected better shelf life. I've gone back to
    Duracell NiMH's which seem to have the longest charged life of any that I've
    tried.
    SamSez, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Ron Guest

    Hmmm, odd you should say that. It happened to me ONCE. Dunno what
    happened, but since that time 18 months ago mine have functioned
    perfectly. I find them particularly useful for a camera that I keep in
    the car for those odd shots on the road. There isn't nearly the daily
    depletion of NiMH's. I can get a few hundred shots out of my Oly 560
    with them, about twice the rate for NiMH's --- and I've run many
    different tests. Main problem is that you have to find replacements that
    fit your charger, meaning the right alignment of pins.

    Ron, Jun 7, 2005
  7. EdO Guest

    As an alternative to R-CRV3 or CRV3 you might consider Eveready AA
    Lithium L91. I am getting set of 4 L91 for around $9.00 as opposed to 2
    CRV2 for around $24.00.

    Shelf life is excellent, shot capacity may be slightly less with L91 but
    not much.

    Ed Oliver

    EdO, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Dman,

    CRV3 is what I use for backing up my NiMH batteries. The rechargeables are
    much more economical and provide a good amount of power for most situations.
    You can return home and swap out the battery in camera for newly charged one
    or just recharge the camera. Bring the CRV3 to supplement any extra power
    needs so you can capture any given event. Works well for me. The new 2100
    and 230 mAH batteries provide a good amount of power.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Matt Guest

    On 7 Jun 2005 01:56:37 -0700, wrote:

    >Ive been using throw away CRV3 batteries with my Kodak DX6440. Im
    >thinking about getting some rechargeable ones instead as they cost me
    >£6 a time for the non rechargeable. My question is: Do the
    >rechargeable ones last as long as the non rechargeable ones? I love the
    >amount of time I get from the non rechargeable ones so dont want to
    >forfit that.

    Well, with the normal Easyshare multiway battery support, from:
    1. Easyshare NiMH pack (very expensive for a little bit of plastic on
    a pair of AA)
    2. NiMH AA
    3. CR-V3

    I would run with a pocketful of NiMH AA, and a CR-V3 or two as
    extended shelf life / low temperature standby.

    The Channel Island outfit, 7dayshop, are well on the mark for cheap
    batteries.
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5_505&products_id=82069
    CR-V3 for £2.79 (special)

    In "Specials" or "clearance". they usually have some well priced NiMH
    battery and charger sets:

    Nothing will last as long as a standard CR-V3

    The rechargeable CR-V3
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mpc-c301.htm
    It says here, is 1200mAH, and will "outperform a true 2300mAH NiMH".

    Well the usable power of the NiMH will very much depend on the device
    running to the correct endpoint - which it SHOULD do if specified for
    NiMH operation, and if that is that case, the NiMH should easily beat
    the rechargeable CR-V3.

    The nominal capacity of the standard CR-V3 seems to be quoted as
    3000mAH

    One thing's for certain, to manage NiMH for more demanding
    applications, you need a SMART charger that can top-off your sets in
    unknown or partial self-discharge state. Timer chargers are a poor
    man's solution.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Jun 7, 2005
  10. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:40:50 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > I would run with a pocketful of NiMH AA, and a CR-V3 or two as
    > extended shelf life / low temperature standby.
    > . . .
    >
    > In "Specials" or "clearance". they usually have some well priced NiMH
    > battery and charger sets:
    >
    > Nothing will last as long as a standard CR-V3

    Except for the Energizer E2 lithium AA batteries. From some of
    the data supplied by their data sheets, it seems that the CR-V3 and
    AA lithiums are completely different formulations, and while the
    CR-V3s do pretty well in very cold weather, the E2 lithium AAs do
    even better. They should also provide greater life in more moderate
    temperatures as well.

    As newer cameras are designed that require much smaller demands
    from their batteries, standard alkalines become much more practical.
    Many of the newer ones are good for hundreds of shots, where they
    once were lucky to last for a dozen or two. They don't do well at
    all in cold weather, but have excellent shelf life, about 8 years or
    so. Lithium's shelf life is about double that, but until I can get
    them for only 2 or 3 times the price of alkalines, I'll continue
    using alkalines as emergency backups for NiMH batteries, with just
    one set of lithiums on hand in case a sudden, short ice age hits. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 8, 2005
  11. John Bean Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:29:18 -0400, ASAAR <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:40:50 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> I would run with a pocketful of NiMH AA, and a CR-V3 or two as
    >> extended shelf life / low temperature standby.
    >> . . .
    >>
    >> In "Specials" or "clearance". they usually have some well priced NiMH
    >> battery and charger sets:
    >>
    >> Nothing will last as long as a standard CR-V3

    > Except for the Energizer E2 lithium AA batteries. From some of
    >the data supplied by their data sheets, it seems that the CR-V3 and
    >AA lithiums are completely different formulations, and while the
    >CR-V3s do pretty well in very cold weather, the E2 lithium AAs do
    >even better. They should also provide greater life in more moderate
    >temperatures as well.

    I agree. This is my battery of choice, so long as I can buy
    them at reasonable cost (which I can).

    >I'll continue
    >using alkalines as emergency backups for NiMH batteries, with just
    >one set of lithiums on hand in case a sudden, short ice age hits. :)

    That's known a "winter" around here, seems to happen every
    year :-(

    --
    Regards

    John Bean
    John Bean, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi Matt,

    Just a note about the plastic that bands the "NiMH pack" from Kodak. It is
    included in a specific location and configuration to trip a switch when
    inserted into a Kodak EasyShare Camera. When you do, and the camera is set
    on a dock, charging is enabled and the battery pack begins charging until
    full poer is reached. You are right that it does cost a bit more but many
    believe the feature is worth it.

    A regular AA NiMH needs to be charged in a battery charger. You can
    certainly use rechargeables that are not banded as noted, but it is
    important for the user to remember that the batteries need to be removed and
    charged in their own charger. Individual batteries will not charge in the
    camera.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Jun 8, 2005
  13. Matt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:05:43 -0400, "Ronald Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Matt,
    >
    >Just a note about the plastic that bands the "NiMH pack" from Kodak. It is
    >included in a specific location and configuration to trip a switch when
    >inserted into a Kodak EasyShare Camera. When you do, and the camera is set
    >on a dock, charging is enabled and the battery pack begins charging until
    >full poer is reached. You are right that it does cost a bit more but many
    >believe the feature is worth it.

    I do have a dock with mine, and for short runs, the pack stays in the
    camera, and charges on the dock.

    >A regular AA NiMH needs to be charged in a battery charger. You can
    >certainly use rechargeables that are not banded as noted, but it is
    >important for the user to remember that the batteries need to be removed and
    >charged in their own charger. Individual batteries will not charge in the
    >camera.

    Other than getiing the extra Easyshare pack charger, using additional
    Easyshare packs would mean returning them to the camera for charging,
    not so bad with two packs, although the natural cycle would tend to
    use one as "main" and the other "reserve"

    Mind you, since the OP is in the UK, this is worth a look...
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=40927
    At £16.92 , it doesn't seema particularly expensive for a proprietary
    system charger (though how it compares with R-CRV3 charger systems, I
    don't know), but it is insanely expensive compared to the kind of
    charger an NiMH sets at 7dayshop - not sure if the K4000 includes the
    pack that it's often pictured with.

    Other than in "You press the button, we do the rest" convenience,, and
    possibly the prevention if mis-insertion by the plastic piece, the
    NiMH Easyshare pack offers no functional advantage over a pair of NiMH
    AA, because it is only a pair of NiMH AA with a charger trip.

    Maybe if the Kodak had been my first camera, I would look more
    favourably on the ease of use of the Easyshare system, instead of
    being horrified at how much the equivalent of the 4 pairs of AA I
    carried would cost.

    Sure, consumer NiMH AA cells are not the BEST system, but you can
    packa lot of power for a small price.

    Matt, Jun 8, 2005
  14. Ron Hunter Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:05:43 -0400, "Ronald Baird" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Matt,
    >>
    >>Just a note about the plastic that bands the "NiMH pack" from Kodak. It is
    >>included in a specific location and configuration to trip a switch when
    >>inserted into a Kodak EasyShare Camera. When you do, and the camera is set
    >>on a dock, charging is enabled and the battery pack begins charging until
    >>full poer is reached. You are right that it does cost a bit more but many
    >>believe the feature is worth it.

    > I do have a dock with mine, and for short runs, the pack stays in the
    > camera, and charges on the dock.
    >

    >>A regular AA NiMH needs to be charged in a battery charger. You can
    >>certainly use rechargeables that are not banded as noted, but it is
    >>important for the user to remember that the batteries need to be removed and
    >>charged in their own charger. Individual batteries will not charge in the
    >>camera.

    > Other than getiing the extra Easyshare pack charger, using additional
    > Easyshare packs would mean returning them to the camera for charging,
    > not so bad with two packs, although the natural cycle would tend to
    > use one as "main" and the other "reserve"
    >
    > Mind you, since the OP is in the UK, this is worth a look...
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=40927
    > At £16.92 , it doesn't seema particularly expensive for a proprietary
    > system charger (though how it compares with R-CRV3 charger systems, I
    > don't know), but it is insanely expensive compared to the kind of
    > charger an NiMH sets at 7dayshop - not sure if the K4000 includes the
    > pack that it's often pictured with.
    >

    > Other than in "You press the button, we do the rest" convenience,, and
    > possibly the prevention if mis-insertion by the plastic piece, the
    > NiMH Easyshare pack offers no functional advantage over a pair of NiMH
    > AA, because it is only a pair of NiMH AA with a charger trip.
    >
    > Maybe if the Kodak had been my first camera, I would look more
    > favourably on the ease of use of the Easyshare system, instead of
    > being horrified at how much the equivalent of the 4 pairs of AA I
    > carried would cost.
    >
    > Sure, consumer NiMH AA cells are not the BEST system, but you can
    > packa lot of power for a small price.
    >

    >>Talk to you soon,
    >>
    >>Ron Baird
    >>Eastman Kodak Company

    >>>Well, with the normal Easyshare multiway battery support, from:
    >>>1. Easyshare NiMH pack (very expensive for a little bit of plastic on
    >>>a pair of AA)
    >>>2. NiMH AA
    >>>3. CR-V3
    >>>
    >>>I would run with a pocketful of NiMH AA, and a CR-V3 or two as
    >>>extended shelf life / low temperature standby.

    I have the DX6440 which came with the dock. NOrmally, I keep the camera
    on the doc so that it is ready for use any time. On vacation, the Kodak
    NIMH pack is good for 200-250 pictures. On vacation, I also carry 4
    sets of AA NIMH batteries, and a MAHA 401 charger. I also keep a
    disposable lithium battery in the travel pack as well. And, yes, I have
    had to resort to the lithium disposable a couple of times.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Charlie Self Guest

    Ronald Baird wrote:
    > Greetings Dman,
    >
    > CRV3 is what I use for backing up my NiMH batteries. The rechargeables are
    > much more economical and provide a good amount of power for most situations.
    > You can return home and swap out the battery in camera for newly charged one
    > or just recharge the camera. Bring the CRV3 to supplement any extra power
    > needs so you can capture any given event. Works well for me. The new 2100
    > and 230 mAH batteries provide a good amount of power.
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >
    > > wrote in message
    > Ive been using throw away CRV3 batteries with my Kodak DX6440. Im
    > thinking about getting some rechargeable ones instead as they cost me
    > £6 a time for the non rechargeable. My question is: Do the
    > rechargeable ones last as long as the non rechargeable ones? I love the
    > amount of time I get from the non rechargeable ones so dont want to
    > forfit that.
    >
    > Can anyone help ?
    >
    > Cheers

    I leave home with at least five freshly charged sets of NiMH AAs, 2100
    and 2300. In normal circumstances, I also have two CRV3s. I don't ever
    expect to run out of battery power, as I'm not often away from home a
    full week. Using all the power in the NiMHs would be a surprise. I
    carry five sets because my flash also uses AAs. Four in the flash. Four
    in the Pentax. A dozen more ready as replacements. I have twice run the
    Pentax to the point where the NiMHs needed to be swapped out, after
    several days and nearly 750 shots. The flash is much harder on
    batteries.
    Charlie Self, Jun 9, 2005