    Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.

    Cheers
    Brendon

    Brendon Pascoe, Jul 9, 2003

  2. "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote in message
    news:VTLOa.74189$...
    > Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    > Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts)

    for
    > $80ish.
    >
    > Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.

    Get NiMH batteries. They simply rock compared to NiCad. They don't have any
    memory effect and hold a heap more power than NiCads.

    Cheers,
    Nicholsa Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Also, I think I need NIMH for my Digital camera, is this correct? and not
    NiCad? What I am looking at is this:
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f0b8b87004f27aa273fc0a87f9906e8
    /Product/View/S8905
    It has 4 batts included and they are 1800mAH. Is this a good deal? And they
    are local. Not mail order. So returns are possible straight away if need be.

    Brendon Pascoe, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Brendon Pascoe

    Rob Guest

    >Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    >Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts) for
    >$80ish.
    >
    >Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Brendon

    You can get 4 energiser NiNH for about $26 from countdown. They may
    also sell the charger.

    Rob, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Brendon Pascoe

    John Guest

    http://www.ecobatteries.co.nz/

    John, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Brendon Pascoe

    SteveM Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in

    > You don't *need* NiMH, but you'll get many more shots with them. If
    > the camera has a built in recharging circuit, then it may shorten the
    > life of NiCads (But not NiMH's). You do need a charger made to charge
    > NiMHs. The DSE one doesn't look like a bad deal, but you may be able
    > to get similar products cheaper elsewhere.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock
    >
    > "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote in message
    >> Also, I think I need NIMH for my Digital camera, is this correct? and
    >> not NiCad? What I am looking at is this:
    >>

    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f0b8b87004f27aa273fc0a87f9
    > 906e8
    >> /Product/View/S8905
    >> It has 4 batts included and they are 1800mAH. Is this a good deal?
    >> And

    > they
    >> are local. Not mail order. So returns are possible straight away if
    >> need

    > be.
    >>
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote in message
    >> > Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking
    >> > at

    > Dick
    >> > Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA
    >> > batts)

    >> for
    >> > $80ish.
    >> >
    >> > Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.

    >> Get NiMH batteries. They simply rock compared to NiCad. They don't
    >> have

    > any
    >> memory effect and hold a heap more power than NiCads.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholsa Sherlock

    Try http://ecobatteries.co.nz/batteryinfo.html
    Ian has had some positive reviews in here before, I believe.

    The MAHA NiMH charger has great reviews.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jul 9, 2003
  7. Brendon Pascoe

    Steve Guest

    Brendon Pascoe allegedly said:

    > Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    > Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts)
    > for $80ish.
    >
    > Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Brendon

    You want good ones. Cheap ones will be weak, run out fast and die young.

    If it is for a digital camera or similar high-drain device, think
    QUALITY....not quantity.

    When i bought my first digital camera in 1998, it took 4xAA alkalines. It
    would drain the top off $10 worth of batteries in 20 minutes. At the rate
    I was going, it was going to cost me over $2,400/year. I resorted to
    re-chargables, but ittook a while to get ones that had both life and the
    high-drain capability required by the camera.

    if you get the wrong ones, you'll be re-charging every 10 minutes if they
    work at all.

    There are some pricey rechargable alkalines that will work better than
    normal re-chargables. No point spending the money if it isn't going to
    work.

    --
    Steve
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war;
    neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
    nor for that matter in Germany.
    That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
    of the country who determine the policy and
    it is always a simple matter to drag the people
    along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
    dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
    dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
    always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same way
    in any country."
    - Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

    Steve, Jul 9, 2003
  8. Brendon Pascoe

    Rob King Guest

    > Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    > Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts)

    for
    > $80ish.
    >
    > Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.

    Get the new Energizer rechargables. They run at full power and then die -
    no slow weakening. Charging takes a while though.

    Rob King, Jul 10, 2003
  9. I have two 4xAA sets of Energiser NiMH's and Energiser for my digital
    camera, I think at the time they were 1850mAh. Takes a while to charge, but
    ive never been court short.

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Jul 11, 2003
  10. Brendon Pascoe

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    > Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    > Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts) for
    > $80ish.
    >
    > Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Brendon

    I'm using some of the blue rechargable alkalines from Dick Smith in a
    couple of optical/wireless mice a camera and a walkman.

    They seem to last about as long as energiser AA alkalines and recharge
    overnight. With a couple of spare sets I just swap them over.
    The charger doesn't overcharge if you leave them too long.

    The charger and 4 AA batteries cost a bit over $50 about a year ago.
    Since then I've bought another 12 AAs. I had one that refused to
    recharge properly but it seems to have come right after a few cycles.

    Regards
    Paul Bealing
    www.pmb.co.nz

    Paul Bealing, Jul 12, 2003
  11. On the topic of rechargeable batteries...
    Does anyone know of a place in WellyLand that still stocks a motorola
    batterly, same size as a AAA but longer by about 5 mm's
    They used them in their early cell phones and Im told they stopped
    making them 6 months ago...
    Cheers
    John

    John Hornblow, Jul 12, 2003
  12. On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:13:29 GMT, (John Hornblow)
    scribbled:

    >On the topic of rechargeable batteries...
    >Does anyone know of a place in WellyLand that still stocks a motorola
    >batterly, same size as a AAA but longer by about 5 mm's
    >They used them in their early cell phones and Im told they stopped
    >making them 6 months ago...

    I'm after a set of them too for my Motorola T2288 phone. My current
    set wont even last 6 hours on standby.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Jul 12, 2003
  13. On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:26:41 GMT, (John Hornblow)
    scribbled:

    >On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:02:43 +1200, Phillip Weston
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >I'm going to attempt to modify some AAA's

    I notice the motorola batteries are only rated for 700mAH, whereas you
    can get AAA NiMH batteries with a higher rating. I might just get
    three of them and use tinfoil as a space filler.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Jul 12, 2003
  14. Brendon Pascoe

    Ian JEnkins Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>On the topic of rechargeable batteries...
    >>Does anyone know of a place in WellyLand that still stocks a motorola
    >>batterly, same size as a AAA but longer by about 5 mm's
    >>They used them in their early cell phones and Im told they stopped
    >>making them 6 months ago...

    > Third party supplier?

    Try Batterymasta in ChCh and Auckland or Telesound in Lower Hutt, both
    have web sites.

    Ian
    ecobatteries.co.nz

    Ian JEnkins, Jul 14, 2003
  15. Brendon Pascoe

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:23:02 +1200, Brendon Pascoe wrote:

    > Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    > Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts) for
    > $80ish.
    >
    > Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Brendon

    Depends what you want them for. Portable power tools tend to use NiCads
    for the budget to medium priced tools - possibly because of the need for
    occasional high torque/high discharge from the batteries.

    However, they suffer from the infamous "memory effect"

    If you need batteries for digital cameras, flashlights etc then NiMh
    (nickel metal hydride) would probably serve you better. They don't suffer
    to the same extent from the memory effect.

    However, most of them suffer from slow self-discharge which can be a
    nuisance if you want to pick up your camera, flashlight or whatever after
    it's been sitting unused on a shelf for several weeks, and expect it to
    just work.

    Sanyo seem to have found the answer to this problem when they introduced
    the "Eneloop" series of NiMh batteries, and I've been very impressed with
    them.

    I managed to buy some AA and AAA Eneloops from Dick Smith (this was over a
    year ago) and they have been great. However, Dick Smith seem to be no
    longer selling these particular batteries as far as I can tell.

    (Whoops, I was wrong - just checked. They are back at DSE again, and they
    show the AA Eneloops at $22.99 for a pack of 4, and AAA Eneloops available
    as a limited stock clearance product only and $16.87 for a pair)

    If you want to know more about them, try searching for eneloop on Google
    (or some other search engine). There will be other places selling them I
    guess.

    I think there are now other manufacturers offering batteries with similar
    characteristics to the Eneloop brand, so a bit of searching in the internet
    may be worthwhile research. Typically they are sold fully charged, as they
    can hold most of their charge for over a year.

    If you try searching posts from rec.photo.digital you will probably find
    some good information, as I'm aware there has been some interesting
    discusssion on the subject over the last year or so.

    I would also suggest that you avoid the cheap battery chargers.
    Overcharging (and charging too quickly) is a quick way to wreck your
    batteries, and I reckon buying an "intelligent" charger is a very worthwile
    investment (a decent charger should last you a lifetime, which I think
    justifies paying for good quality and performance).

    The "intelligent" chargers will charge each battery individually, and
    monitor its condition during charging, cutting off when charging has
    reached the correct level.

    I have a Maha charger which I think I bought from ecobatteries
    http://www.ecobatteries.co.nz/ - about 6 years ago.
    This is an "intelligent" charger It charges four batteries at a time (AA or
    AAA - you can mix them), but each is individually monitored, and charging
    is stopped on a per cell basis when completed.

    I always use it on the slow charge setting (5 hours for a complete
    recharge) to minimise heat build up in the batteries. It has a switch so
    you can select faster charging if you're in more of a hurry.

    Personally I wouldn't buy the cheap charger/battery deals, unless you are
    happy with something you can just use for a while, then throw away, (and if
    you don't care too much about having the batteries fail on you when you are
    relying on them).

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 27, 2009
  16. Brendon Pascoe

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:28:31 +1200, John S <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    <great info reluctantly snipped?

    >Personally I wouldn't buy the cheap charger/battery deals, unless you are
    >happy with something you can just use for a while, then throw away, (and if
    >you don't care too much about having the batteries fail on you when you are
    >relying on them).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S

    Many thanks for all that, John. Yours is one of the most informative
    and valuable posts I've ever seen on this ng. Cheers, b

    Donchano, Sep 27, 2009
  17. Brendon Pascoe

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:28:31 +1200, John S <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:23:02 +1200, Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    >
    >> Who/where to get these? WHich are the best? I am currently looking at Dick
    >> Smiths ones that come with the 1hr charger or 2 hr charger (4 AA batts) for
    >> $80ish.
    >>
    >> Any thing else around better? Incl. charger? AA batts a must.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Brendon

    >Depends what you want them for. Portable power tools tend to use NiCads
    >for the budget to medium priced tools - possibly because of the need for
    >occasional high torque/high discharge from the batteries.
    >
    >However, they suffer from the infamous "memory effect"
    >
    >If you need batteries for digital cameras, flashlights etc then NiMh
    >(nickel metal hydride) would probably serve you better. They don't suffer
    >to the same extent from the memory effect.
    >
    >However, most of them suffer from slow self-discharge which can be a
    >nuisance if you want to pick up your camera, flashlight or whatever after
    >it's been sitting unused on a shelf for several weeks, and expect it to
    >just work.

    >Sanyo seem to have found the answer to this problem when they introduced
    >the "Eneloop" series of NiMh batteries, and I've been very impressed with
    >them.
    >
    >I managed to buy some AA and AAA Eneloops from Dick Smith (this was over a
    >year ago) and they have been great. However, Dick Smith seem to be no
    >longer selling these particular batteries as far as I can tell.
    >
    >(Whoops, I was wrong - just checked. They are back at DSE again, and they
    >show the AA Eneloops at $22.99 for a pack of 4, and AAA Eneloops available
    >as a limited stock clearance product only and $16.87 for a pair)

    Sanyo/Sony and Panasonic are Eneloop ones, I think is a 20% loss in 6 or may
    be twelve months, but are only rated at 2100mAh, all these batteries are made
    by Sanyo.

    >If you want to know more about them, try searching for eneloop on Google
    >(or some other search engine). There will be other places selling them I
    >guess.
    >
    >I think there are now other manufacturers offering batteries with similar
    >characteristics to the Eneloop brand, so a bit of searching in the internet
    >may be worthwhile research. Typically they are sold fully charged, as they
    >can hold most of their charge for over a year.
    >
    >If you try searching posts from rec.photo.digital you will probably find
    >some good information, as I'm aware there has been some interesting
    >discusssion on the subject over the last year or so.
    >
    >I would also suggest that you avoid the cheap battery chargers.
    >Overcharging (and charging too quickly) is a quick way to wreck your
    >batteries, and I reckon buying an "intelligent" charger is a very worthwile
    >investment (a decent charger should last you a lifetime, which I think
    >justifies paying for good quality and performance).
    >
    >The "intelligent" chargers will charge each battery individually, and
    >monitor its condition during charging, cutting off when charging has
    >reached the correct level.
    >
    >I have a Maha charger which I think I bought from ecobatteries
    >http://www.ecobatteries.co.nz/ - about 6 years ago.
    >This is an "intelligent" charger It charges four batteries at a time (AA or
    >AAA - you can mix them), but each is individually monitored, and charging
    >is stopped on a per cell basis when completed.
    >
    >I always use it on the slow charge setting (5 hours for a complete
    >recharge) to minimise heat build up in the batteries. It has a switch so
    >you can select faster charging if you're in more of a hurry.

    Yes fast chargers are a big No No, Panasonic do one with Eneloop batteries.

    Mary Hanna, Sep 28, 2009
  18. Brendon Pascoe

    J Brockley Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:28:31 +1200, John S <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > <great info reluctantly snipped?
    >>

    >>Personally I wouldn't buy the cheap charger/battery deals, unless you are
    >>happy with something you can just use for a while, then throw away, (and
    >>if
    >>you don't care too much about having the batteries fail on you when you
    >>are
    >>relying on them).
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>John S

    > Many thanks for all that, John. Yours is one of the most informative
    > and valuable posts I've ever seen on this ng. Cheers, b

    HN currently have the Uniross Hybro batteries on special for ~$25 for 2 AA
    batteries + charger.

    J Brockley, Sep 28, 2009