    charge a set and then recharge them just before using them?

    Thanks in advance,

    Princess Morgiah

    Princess Morgiah, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Princess Morgiah

    Bill Guest

    NiMH batteries work fine for me. As soon as one set runs down in the camera,
    I remove it and charge it right away adn use the other set. But if you have
    NiCad batteries, they are better not charged again unless they are fully
    depleted.
    Bill

    "Princess Morgiah" <> wrote in
    message news:pbUGb.97072$-ops.be...
    > Hi everyone - happy holidays!
    >
    > Small question about rechargeable batteries. I have recently bought myself

    > digital camera, and have bought a second set of rechargeable batteries to

    go

    Bill, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Princess Morgiah

    browntimdc Guest

    "Princess Morgiah" <> wrote in

    > Hi everyone - happy holidays!
    >
    > Small question about rechargeable batteries. I have recently bought
    > myself a digital camera, and have bought a second set of rechargeable
    > batteries to go with it.

    I'll assume you've got AA size NiMH batteries.

    > Can I recharge the second set while I'm using up the first?

    You shouldn't leave them charging for days and days.

    > The
    > problem is that I do not use the camera that often, so a set of
    > batteries usually lasts me quite a while. On the other hand, I do not
    > keep track of how many images I have already made with the first set
    > of batteries, so I have no means to tell how empty or full my
    > batteries are.

    Your best bet is to keep the second set of batteries with the camera in
    case the first set runs down while you're shooting.

    > How long do charged batteries keep their charge? Or should I wait? Can
    > you charge a set and then recharge them just before using them?

    They'll go from full to empty in roughly 3 months. If you charge them
    once a week they'll always be pretty full. That should be OK for the
    light duty shooting you do.

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham

    browntimdc, Dec 26, 2003
  4. "Princess Morgiah" <> writes:

    > Hi everyone - happy holidays!
    >
    > Small question about rechargeable batteries. I have recently bought myself a
    > digital camera, and have bought a second set of rechargeable batteries to go
    > with it.
    >
    > Having never used rechargeable batteries before, I had some questions. Can I
    > recharge the second set while I'm using up the first? The problem is that I
    > do not use the camera that often, so a set of batteries usually lasts me
    > quite a while. On the other hand, I do not keep track of how many images I
    > have already made with the first set of batteries, so I have no means to
    > tell how empty or full my batteries are.
    >
    > How long do charged batteries keep their charge? Or should I wait? Can you
    > charge a set and then recharge them just before using them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Princess Morgiah

    Here are some battery FAQs:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-educate-batteries.htm
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

    With a charger that it is separate from the camera, you can recharge the second
    set of batteries while using the first set, though if you are going to be using
    the camera a lot, it is best to carry extra batteries. I carry 6 sets of
    batteries (3 for the camera, 3 for the external flash). Generally 2 sets will
    last the camera through a day of heavy shooting (say 500 pictures or so), but I
    have been on days when I needed 3 sets.

    Note, NIMH batteries will discharge over time, and you generally need to
    recharge them at least monthly even if you haven't used them. I tend to go on
    a weekly schedule and recharge everything in rotation (first topping off the
    next set of batteries, then charging the batteries in the camera, and finally
    recharing the old set).

    As long as you don't have NiCD batteries (which are becoming rare), you can
    generally recharge or top off batteries at any time. If you have AA batteries,
    get a good 1-3 hour smart charger, rather than the overnight chargers which
    aren't that good for modern batteries.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 26, 2003
  5. "Princess Morgiah" <> staggered
    to the nearest keyboard and wrote:

    >How long do charged batteries keep their charge? Or should I wait?

    NiMH batteries self-discharge at about 1 to 3% per day. So, after a
    week your batteries will have lost something like 10-20% of their
    capacity.

    >Can you charge a set and then recharge them just before using them?

    If you have a so-called "smart" charger, probably yes. If you have a
    crude charger you can damage the batteries if they already are charged
    when you try to re-charge them.

    --
    hambu n hambu hodo

    Charles Hawtrey, Dec 26, 2003
  6. "Charles Hawtrey" <> wrote in message
    > "Princess Morgiah" <> staggered
    > to the nearest keyboard and wrote:
    >
    > >How long do charged batteries keep their charge? Or should I wait?

    > NiMH batteries self-discharge at about 1 to 3% per day. So, after a
    > week your batteries will have lost something like 10-20% of their
    > capacity.
    >
    > >Can you charge a set and then recharge them just before using them?

    > If you have a so-called "smart" charger, probably yes. If you have a
    > crude charger you can damage the batteries if they already are charged
    > when you try to re-charge them.

    Thanks for the information, and thanks everyone for your reply!

    Princess Morgiah

    Princess Morgiah, Dec 27, 2003